ROM manager back up files taking up a lot of memory on my SD Card

O.G Incredible

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been running a couple of backups trough ROM manager and now my folder is over 7GB in size. Is it safe to delete those files? What could possibly be making them that big?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: ROM manager back up files taking up a lot of memory on my SD

When you say 'my folder is over 7GB in size' I can only assume that you're referring to the /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup folder? Just want to be sure we're on the same page. It sounds like more than 'a couple' - I have 9 different backups that I've made, and they average just under 1GB (my oldest backup, just after rooting and keeping the stock ROM was around 600MB and my latest backup with BAMF 1.10 is about 1.3GB).

Anyway, it's safe to delete those backups if you don't plan on going back to that exact image. For example, if your latest backup includes everything just the way that you like it, there's no reason to keep older backups since the assumption is that if you restored one of them, you'd then have to add a bunch of stuff to get to the point where you're at now.

As far as what's making them that big - I'm no expert in how system files vs. user data is stored, but if you assume that the basic .ROM that you loaded was about 400MB, and then you've added apps and data to that (let's say another 200MB worth) - well, that's already half-a-gig. Multiply by the actual number of backups that you've made ;)

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

Reactions: O.G Incredible

O.G Incredible

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

When you say 'my folder is over 7GB in size' I can only assume that you're referring to the /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup folder? Just want to be sure we're on the same page. It sounds like more than 'a couple' - I have 9 different backups that I've made, and they average just under 1GB (my oldest backup, just after rooting and keeping the stock ROM was around 600MB and my latest backup with BAMF 1.10 is about 1.3GB).

Anyway, it's safe to delete those backups if you don't plan on going back to that exact image. For example, if your latest backup includes everything just the way that you like it, there's no reason to keep older backups since the assumption is that if you restored one of them, you'd then have to add a bunch of stuff to get to the point where you're at now.

As far as what's making them that big - I'm no expert in how system files vs. user data is stored, but if you assume that the basic .ROM that you loaded was about 400MB, and then you've added apps and data to that (let's say another 200MB worth) - well, that's already half-a-gig. Multiply by the actual number of backups that you've made ;)

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

Yes thats the same folder im talking about, and I guess that kind of makes sense since ive made 8 back ups so should i delete all the other files including the original one that I made right after rooting? will i ever need that one to go back to stock?:confused:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Yes thats the same folder im talking about, and I guess that kind of makes sense since ive made 8 back ups so should i delete all the other files including the original one that I made right after rooting? will i ever need that one to go back to stock?:confused:

Some say you should keep your stock ROM... personally, I'm never going back. You have to make the call yourself... I rename my files so I keep the date, but remove the time and just rename it to what ROM it is (example: 2011-12-02.Liquid.3.2 or 2011-11-27.BAMF.1.10). I usually keep about 4 ROM backups... so you could keep your original ROM, and 3 or 4 other backup files.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Just keep the important ones that you know that you will need.. maybe the stock for example and just move the rest to a folder on your computer if you want them stored somewhere else. Then if you ever need them again.. just transfer them back to the sd card again.

O.G Incredible

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! I'll probably keep my current ROM and the stock...just in case? The others I'll back them up to an external hard drive just in case I ever need them?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez