Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

NateS#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Nope, still doesn't show up even after hard reboot. Interesting, on the widgets screen, between Calendar and FM Radio I see a widget named "false" by HTC. Clicking it says Rosie Utility stopped working. I believe this was there even when FriendStream was moved to my sdcard. I see both FriendStream.apk and FriendStreamWidget.apk in /system/app, but still no widget. :(

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Nope, still doesn't show up even after hard reboot. Interesting, on the widgets screen, between Calendar and FM Radio I see a widget named "false" by HTC. Clicking it says Rosie Utility stopped working. I believe this was there even when FriendStream was moved to my sdcard. I see both FriendStream.apk and FriendStreamWidget.apk in /system/app, but still no widget. :(

interesting... try moving the app back to the sdcard.

now, using adb:
adb shell
adb su
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
/system/xbin/busy box mv /sdard/disabled.apps/"app name" /system/app/"appname"
mount -o remount,ro -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
exit
exit

<<reboot phone>>

Win?

let me know

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to use Titanium Backup Pro to backup apps and it says:

"Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox, and try again."

None of the other apps like root explorer, wireless tether, ROM manager, or drocap have any problems. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

you could try using fix permissions in ROMmanager...

Download an app called root checker.
In there is a button to click to verify that busybox is installed properly. It most likely will be an issue with busybox

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
If I remember correctly didn't removing bloatware on the Dinc cause all kind of problems for updating to the Froyo OTA? Am I remembering this correctly or not????

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
so i just used super manager to cut all the apps from the phone and placed them on my sd... instead it just copied everything to my sd... and i tried to go back through and just delete the old one... they wont delete... any help?

when you go to file explorer and click the folder with the heart & choose root path then system you need to select R/W in the popup window in order to change or delete a file

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
k removing bloat went fine except for blockbuster i renamed it and removed it it's no longer in system/app i double checked yet it still shows in my app i rebooted phone and its still there but still not in system/app i don't get it

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
k removing bloat went fine except for blockbuster i renamed it and removed it it's no longer in system/app i double checked yet it still shows in my app i rebooted phone and its still there but still not in system/app i don't get it

Try going to:
settings>applications>manage applications

See if the blockbuster app shows up in there. if so see if it will allow you to unistall.

let me know

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I had to re-format my sd card when it got messed up after I tried to put music on it. I lost my "bloatware" folder. Looks like I'm gonna have to get these from a friends Thunderbolt so I don't have any problems updating in the future.

botero

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Can I remove the friendstream apk and odex? I removed the widgets already.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

There is also one file in /etc/permissions and two files in /system/framework that are related to Blockbuster. That said, I'm a little surprised it is still showing up in your app drawer if you removed the apk. Did you go back and verify that it was moved and not copied? I've done that by accident before.

Melch: that option is greyed out :/

I had to re-format my sd card when it got messed up after I tried to put music on it. I lost my "bloatware" folder. Looks like I'm gonna have to get these from a friends Thunderbolt so I don't have any problems updating in the future.

Don't worry, I'm uploading it to megaupload.

Can I remove the friendstream apk and odex? I removed the widgets already.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I said not to, only because people reported doing so on the EVO and having their phones screw up afterwards. If true, it might be that the Contacts apparently has a dependency on Friendstream and removing it makes it go bizzerk. If someone (not going to be me :p) tries it and without problems, let us know.

Reactions: SamOliver

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There is also one file in /etc/permissions and two files in /system/framework that are related to Blockbuster. That said, I'm a little surprised it is still showing up in your app drawer if you removed the apk. Did you go back and verify that it was moved and not copied? I've done that by accident before.

Blockbuster and Rockband still appear in the app drawer after moving them to the sdcard. Clicking either of them actually opens the app. Neither of them show up in system/app

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I removed friendstream.apk and friendstream.odex, no apparent problems so far. I don't know what kind of problems I should be looking for, but I don't notice any changes or problems with my contacts.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Blockbuster and Rockband still appear in the app drawer after moving them to the sdcard. Clicking either of them actually opens the app. Neither of them show up in system/app

Reboot your phone, check /system/app .... are they back?

If yes = You need to unlock nand (s-off)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
ha, ok. Apparently I didn't actually select Rockband. Just looked in my bloat folder and it wasn't there so I moved it out of /system/app and it has disappeared. Blockbuster seems to be the only one that is stuck after multiple reboots and doesn't appear in /system/app.

m.albertlee

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I said not to, only because people reported doing so on the EVO and having their phones screw up afterwards. If true, it might be that the Contacts apparently has a dependency on Friendstream and removing it makes it go bizzerk. If someone (not going to be me :p) tries it and without problems, let us know.
i removed (renamed, actually, as suggested on the main thread msg) my htc friendstream apk and odex files from .apk to .apk.old, and have opted not to sync Facebook for HTC Sense and Twitter for HTC Sense, and instead, used the default Facebook and Twitter sync when you download the apps from the Market, and I have not had a problem - also it seems to use less battery.

IF you do sync your Facebook and Twitter through 'for Sense,' it Will screw up your contacts and your phone Will go beserk. I had to restore my phone through CWM, so do Not sync it that way. Download the Facbeook and Twitter (if you want them synced) apps from the Market, and do it that way, i would say.

I did not remove Peep tho, but I desperately want to...any ideas how?

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
ha, ok. Apparently I didn't actually select Rockband. Just looked in my bloat folder and it wasn't there so I moved it out of /system/app and it has disappeared. Blockbuster seems to be the only one that is stuck after multiple reboots and doesn't appear in /system/app.

Blockbuster downloaded an update that was not removed when you renamed and moved the .apk file. Go to MENU/SETTINGS/APPLICATIONS and you will see the Blockbuster app. Uninstall from there. It will give you an error telling you it could not be uninstalled. Reboot the phone and the app will be gone.

Good luck.