Phone turns screen on, heats up, fully discharges the battery, only takes screen shots

cathyf

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This happens to everyone I know with this phone -- normally, a battery charge would last for 3-4 days, and if I start the day fully-charged it still appears more-or-less fully-charged by the end of the day. Except that at totally random intervals the phone turns on the display and heats up. If I catch it soon (given that it's in my pocket getting really hot I often do!) I'll take it out and try to turn it off, pushing the power button on the side of the phone. Whether I push briefly or push-and-hold, it then takes a screen shot rather than powering off the screen or bringing up the power-off menu.

I have learned at this point to hit the back button many times (10-20) and after awhile I can get the phone so that it at least responds to my input with actions other than taking screen shots. If I launch the native Task Manager there is usually not anything running. I have another task manager called Advanced Task Killer, and all it shows is Facebook notifications, email and Media Hub. It started doing this before I installed the Advanced Task Killer -- I downloaded the app trying to figure out what the heck I was running that was causing the phone to freak out. There are LOTS and LOTS of times when the phone behaves totally fine, no rogue-screen-shot state, when I have left the browser or the email program running -- I usually don't have anything running, and getting into the screen-shooter/heater state happens no more or less often when I do. Usually I can get the phone back out of this state by powering it completely off, although once or twice when I have turned it back on immediately it has gone right back into screen-shot/heat mode. So now I leave it off for at least 5-10 minutes.

When I am at home, it attaches to my wireless, and at work it attaches to the work wireless. Whether it is totally fine (which 95% of the time it is!) or freaking out seems totally unrelated to where I am and whether the local wireless network is acting up or not.

I am shocked that I can't seem to find discussions of this online. Everyone I know who has USCellular and has this phone has it do this -- we are joking about it bursting into flames in our pockets! When I went to the US Cellular store once (for another reason) I just happened to notice that it had been in this state for a little bit as I walked in the door, and it ran down the battery from about 90% to about 40% in the next 45 minutes. The repair guy at the store shrugged and said that this happens with this phone, and if I was willing to go without a phone for 4-6 weeks they could send it in, but it probably wouldn't be any better when it came back.

I'm really worried about this from a safety point of view. I probably won't get burned by it (ok, the bursting into flames thing is a slight exaggeration) but I live in a very small town, and commute 60 miles per day through completely rural areas, and I'm really worried about getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead phone.

Does anybody have any idea of what I can do to make it stop? I did update all my applications, but if anything it made the screen-shot/heat state appear more often.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset on the device? How long after you purchased the phone did the problem arise?

cathyf

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It started pretty much when I got the phone, which was last Christmas. It is hard to catch -- if I'm wearing loose clothes and don't feel it heat up, the only symptom is a phone with a dead battery. When I first complained last February, US Cellular thought that the battery was defective and gave me a new one.

I have not tried a factory reset, but one of the salespeople here who has the phone and the problem did, and it had no effect.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Not that I advocate breaking warranties or anything like that, but does your phone have custom ROMs/kernels available for it? It sounds like maybe a new kernel could help fix the problem. Sounds like it may be a firmware issue.

cathyf

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm more with harassing the US Cellular repair people until THEY fix the firmware. That way if they brick the phone they have to give me a new one!

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Generally carriers are very slow with pushing out firmware updates, so you may be waiting quite a while. But if that's the route you're more comfortable taking, then I must say best of luck to you and hopefully it gets resolved.

Jan Lindsey

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Cathyf: I am on the second phone because I was sure I was going to catch on fire from the over heating! This is the absolute worse battery in a phone ever. I brought it back to the place it was purchased and they sent it out and gave me a brand new phone! Unbelievable, it does the same thing!! I went into the Verizon store last weekend, and the salesperson could have sold me a $1,000.00 phone because I hate this one so much. Nope he decided I just needed to learn more about my phone and then I would love it. What an A$$. I will be buying a new phone this upcoming weekend, because this one sucks!

MikeW471

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know...
It sounds like you've got too much RAM being used in the background.
When I need to conserve battery I disable Background Data... Settings >Accounts & Sync > Uncheck Background Data.
I received my Mes as a second hand gift from a cousin and I love it so much I'm using my available upgrade to get the Galaxy S3.

I don't think we have enough info to troubleshoot. I don't know how the US Cellular customer service is there but here in the Wilmington, NC area they're the most helpful reps I've met...

Long live US Cellular!

But yeah if your phone is rooted you should tell us because then we could recommend a new kernel, or maybe you're overclocking too much.

cathyf

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Jan -- do you get the thing where after the phone turns itself on, and when you try to turn it off, each time you push the power button it takes a screen shot? (**CLICK**) And, yes, it is really taking screen shots, and I have to go into my gallery and delete them all periodically.

cathyf

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what it means for a phone to be rooted, or how to tell if it is. According to the task manager, I have 284MB/368MB used, so I will believe that I've used too much memory. I hit the "Clear Memory" button, and it says that there are zero background tasks. I unchecked the Sync Background Data, too, but now I'm wondering why I should be paying all this money for a smart phone every month when I have to keep everything but the voice telephone turned off all of the time. Since I receive all of my texts via googlevoice, this essentially means that my phone no longer supports text messaging.

Dan Shields

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
OK heres what I need you to to ****THIS WILL LOSE ALL YOUR USER DATA ON THE PHONE PICS VIDS MUSIC CONTACTS MESSAGES ECT!!!!!!!!! BACK UP THE PHONE (ONLY IF YOUR A ROOTED USER) **IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS DONT WORRY ABOUT IT********
Step 1: Go To This Link ----> Samsung Mesmerize i500 Stock ROM Download <---- SAVE THE ZIP FILE ON YOUR SD CARD IN A FOLDER THEN FOLLOW STEPS BELOW!

Step 2: Power Down The Device **IF YOU CANT DO IT BY POWER BUTTON REMOVE BATTERY**

Step 3: If Removed Battery Put Back In HOLD VOLUME UP AND DOWN BUTTONS THEN PRESS POWER!

Step 4: You Should Be In Stock Recovery Mode! You Should See Install UPDATE FROM SD CARD Scroll Using The Volume Button To Get To It!

Step 5: Use The Power Button To Select The ZIP File

Step 6: Find The File **NORMALLY PUT IT IN A FOLDER WHERE YOU KNOW YOU WILL HAVE IT** User Power Button To Install ZIP

Step 7: Let It Install SHOULD FIX ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE PHONE!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89