Blackberry to Android - Wait for Merge?

RedSoxFan#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some friendly advice from some expert Android users. I am a newbie on this forum and to Android itself. I am a five year Blackberry user ready to make a switch to Android. My Bold has been dropping calls left and right (after 4 exchanges).

I am currently on Verizon and I have looked at the Samsung Fascinate, Continuum and torn to buy now or wait until the Merge. Are the physical Querty keybords (sliders) worth getting? Coming from a BB I am used to physical keyboards----thoughts? Is Samsung a better built device than HTC overall? Push email or is it pull? Will the Merge's 4G be an extra charge per month via Verizon? Is battery life as bad as everyone says on Android devices? I am a business user, if I don't use the Facebook, Twitter etc will my battery last longer?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been online checking all the options on the Android phones and these are the ones I have not answered.

gobluejd

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I came from a BB to a Droid Incredible. I would wait (if you can) or get a INC.

Check out my site for some tips coming from a BB to android. Site is stale (have not updated in a while) but there is tons of info there for you.

Blackberry to Android

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
When I made the switch from BB to Android I went with the Motorola droid because of the keyboard and at that time was the best Android phone on Verizon. Because of the IMO bad physical keyboard I ended up using the on screen board and became pretty good using it. Its going to depend on you if you need or want a physical keyboard.

I currently using a Dinc and love Sense and wouldn't trade it for any other anything. I think the device is well built and have no complaints. I also have a Galaxy Tab and very happy with a Samsung device but would really like to have Sense on it.

I do believe that there is going to be an extra charge for the 4G service compared to the current 3G but hopefully its going to be worth it.

Battery life isn't as good as you have on your bold but I'm positive you will be much happier with any Android device over a BB. If I were you I would wait a month or two and see what comes out or is announced to be out.

RedSoxFan#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will definitely check out the website and keep searching around for more info as well. I'm fed up with my BB and need something that will provide my business needs. So sick and tired of "message truncated" in my email inbox.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually on a similar boat (except i'm planning to switch from winmo 6.5 to android).
The one thing I can tell straight up about keyboards are that it's a personal preference. I'm a strong believer in physical keyboards and have constantly been annoyed by on screen keyboards, but that's just me.
another thing I can tell you straight up is that Samsung's build quality will probably never match HTC phones in terms of strength and durability. A friend of mine uses to work for Samsung back in Thailand and as soon as I mentioned I was interested in the Epic, his reaction was,"don't waste your money. Samsung cellphones break too often to be worth the price"

lastly, battery life is highly dependant on what is being used at the time. If you keep tight rein of your apps that go online or run in the background, then you should be good on battery life. Ofcourse it's always good practice to have a car charger and a safer practice, albeit possibly a little over the top, to have a spare battery in a small pocket.

I for one will be waiting for the Lexicon to come out worldwide so I can pick one up to use on AT&T's network. but we'll see... I hope it comes out early january.

map724

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If the Merge comes out and is a LTE phone, will VZW require a 4G data package? In other words, anyone think it will be possible to own the phone without having to pay more for data?

realist1

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Depending on the Android device you will have good battery life... Recommendations for Battery life is Droid max, Note 2 or Galaxy s4. BlackBerry will be the going Andoid so its going to be an awesome phone.