"Chat" App Behavior

mcharl02

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to smartphones, so maybe the answer to this query is otherwise obvious:

I like to use stay on FB chat & Google Talk on my Charge. It frees me from sitting at my desktop if I still want to chat with my friends... But I was curious, how often do I have to open these apps up to keep them active? Do they automatically sign-off/shut down when I disconnect and reconnect to wi-fi? Do I go "idle" on these apps? Or if say FB chat is open on my phone, will it always show me as available?

Also there is the slight annoyance of when I actually do return to my computer to chat. Sometimes my phone will start to push those notifications to me (so I'm receiving incoming messages simultaneously on phone and PC). Any shortcut to fix that? A button to press when I want to sit at my computer?

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to smartphones, so maybe the answer to this query is otherwise obvious:

I like to use stay on FB chat & Google Talk on my Charge. It frees me from sitting at my desktop if I still want to chat with my friends... But I was curious, how often do I have to open these apps up to keep them active? Do they automatically sign-off/shut down when I disconnect and reconnect to wi-fi? Do I go "idle" on these apps? Or if say FB chat is open on my phone, will it always show me as available?

Also there is the slight annoyance of when I actually do return to my computer to chat. Sometimes my phone will start to push those notifications to me (so I'm receiving incoming messages simultaneously on phone and PC). Any shortcut to fix that? A button to press when I want to sit at my computer?
I can only speak for Google Talk. Mine is open all the time, sometimes when I go on the subway and lose connection I have to reopen it to log back in. Throughout the day though you will be idle (the orange circle) if you dont reopen the program. Even if you use your phone and do whatever, youll stay idle until you revisit the app.

As for the double notifications. When I get to a computer it stops sending them to my phone, and I can chat on my desktop. They only double up for a little... but I would prefer my desktop when I'm there so i cant help ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa