HTC DLX/DNA or Note 2?

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn between the two devices myself but leaning toward the GN2.

The only attributes I will concede to the DNA is the screen and camera. Although the GN2 is outstanding in both areas the HTC One line is at the top of the class in these areas along with iphone 5. I doubt the DNA will be any worse and could be better.
Build quality is subjective and is mostly referring to materials used as opposed to quality construction of device. All the high end devices are made well but make different choices on materials and finishes. It doesn't really matter unless you carry your device undressed. I haven't carried a naked smartphone since an old BlackBerry 5 years ago. I really like the materials and finish of the RAZR Maxx HD but if I'm going to put my $700 device in a case anyway I shouldn't get all worked up over the nice Kevlar, alluminum, and Gorilla Glass. 9 out of 10 iphones I see are cased where all you see is the glass and Apple logo through a hole in the back so that's overblown.
So now we are talking about performance.
Everything I have read points to an advantage for the GN2.
Both quad-core processrs but the GN2 pushing an Exynos running at 1.6 GHz compared to Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 pro running at 1.5 GHz on the DNA.
Both have 2g of RAM but the GN2 can actually use with multi-tasking window allowing simultaneous use and view.
Then there's the larger screen and all the possibilities the S-Pen opens up. The S-Pen fits so nicely that even if it was never used it doesn't detract from the phone.
Then there's the batteries.
I currently use an HTC Thunderbolt so I know the struggles that they have had with battery life. The DNA is rumored to use a non-removable 2500 mAh battery on this 5" Super LCD 2 screen with power sucking LTE. The only way I have survived the T-bolt for 19 months is the extended battery I bought after reading reviews. I am very wary of this high powered device with only a 2500 mAh battery.
The original Galaxy Note uses a 2500 mAh battery with reasonable success but the GN2 will carry a 3100 mAh replacable battery. Accessory providers like Gorilla Gadgets make replacement batteries up to 5000 mAh for the original GN that provides a valuable option that the DNA doesn't have.

All that said, I will take a close look at both devices when they are available next month.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

thank you for the great summary. now I'm on the fence again!

seeingwhite

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
The Snapdragon S4 Pro destroys the Exynos 4 Quad in the GN2, that's no contest. The DNA is a much more powerful phone. Hopefully it can put all that power into making things smooth in 1080p.
This, yes. Both are good SoCs, but the fact is that the qualcomm s4pro is a newer and better SoC. Also the GPU on the Qualcomm is better by far. What does this mean as far as usability goes? Probably not much, unless you game a lot, in which case the Qualcomm based HTC device could be a noticeable improvement. Still, both are/will be great phones.

pjdell

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The note 2 is gigantic. I would get it if I didn't think i would look like an idiot holding it up to my face. On the otherhand it has the stylus, and good battery life, and some other cool features. Its also fast. Its definitely awesome.

It sounds like the DNA will be a beast with the specs, but no stylus. Its still big, but not as big. Big for me is a plus and a minus. Obviously you should wait until they release specs and there are some reviews of the DNA online before you decide.

Last edited:

viskey

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I know the micro sd slot is an issue for some and not for others. Football on twitter stated that the DNA will not have it but the j butterfly page on HTC website states that it comes with one so I'm hoping it will have the micto sd slot if the DNA truly takes after the J Butterfly...

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know the micro sd slot is an issue for some and not for others. Football on twitter stated that the DNA will not have it but the j butterfly page on HTC website states that it comes with one so I'm hoping it will have the micto sd slot if the DNA truly takes after the J Butterfly...

I tweeted Football about the Micro SD slot just today and he told me the same thing... NO MICRO SD SLOT on the DNA. I seriously, seriously hope he is mistaken.

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was just watching some youtube videos on using a USB OTG Cable with the GS3 and Note 2. This feature is pretty freaking awesome. I don't know if the DNA will be able to do this as well or not, but I can't find much info on the One X being able to do it. If the DNA can't use this technology and doesn't have a micro SD slot... the Note 2 might be my choice.
CNET How To - How to use USB devices with Android - YouTube

viskey

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I tweeted Football about the Micro SD slot just today and he told me the same thing... NO MICRO SD SLOT on the DNA. I seriously, seriously hope he is mistaken.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2Fjp%2Fsmartphones%2Fhtl21%2F&token=f0Dvc7wH

If you click on the specs tab, it shows micro SD. The DNA is supposed to be almost identical to this. I'm not sure why they would remove the SD card slot. I hope football is wrong too.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
^ they easily could have produced devices with a removable SD slot for the US market. I'm concerned about the battery life for the DNA and it's rumored amazing screen.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
^ they easily could have produced devices with a removable SD slot for the US market. I'm concerned about the battery life for the DNA and it's rumored amazing screen.

Imo this phone needs Atleast a 3300mah battery because that screen is going to suck all the life out of it and its on Verizon so LTE will be a problem too

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The DNA will be a beast.

Comparing the HTC J Butterfly as a stand in for the DNA vs the GN2, I think the DNA wins for me.

They both employ big screens, but the DNA will be much less wider than the GN2 and shorter while still having a large screen. And the screen on the DNA.... Full HD! 1080p!

This screen will use the SLCD3 tech which if simliar to the SLCD 2, will guarentee to be a pleasure to use.

The battery life will be a mild issue, but I'm buying a Mophie Juice Pack to counteract that for when I'm on the go.

Hopefully it won't be long before we have a Jelly Bean ROM ready for this device.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
^ I never thought about those portable charging packs. Thanks for the tip.

I think I'll have to wait till the DNA is out for a bit to see what the battery life is with real world use.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
They both employ big screens, but the DNA will be much less wider than the GN2 and shorter while still having a large screen. And the screen on the DNA.... Full HD! 1080p!

The wide screen is actually what I prefer. Don't plan to watch movies or television on my phone (got a TV for that ;-)), but I do appreciate having more room for my thumbs to type. That was one of the things I loved about the Thunderbolt, coming from the Eris - more room.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

emanuelm123

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay so yes the battery on the DNA is smaller but I've read that the super lcd 3 is just great with battery and it won't drain battery as fast also the snapdragon s4 pro is also said to be very battery efficient so HTC may know what they're doing with only choosing a 2500 mah battery IMO

Sent from my EVO LTE

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
People buy iPhone cases because of either glass on both sides or it's a really cool case. And what are you talking about the S4 PRO blows the Exynos that's in the Note 2 out of the water. Just look at comparisons with the LG Optimus G. And that phone has unrefined software. And some people still say the S Pen is a gimmick. It is still not as good as writing on actual paper. And they are not using a SLCD2 panel for the DNA your wrong. It'sa SLCD3panel which is said to have 2.5 times better power consumption than the SLCD2 . And the DNA is water resistant or said as water proof so I think that is more useful than an S Pen. You can just use any regular old stylus.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
and now it comes down to real world battery usage:

HTC Droid DNA specs | Android Central

Curious as to what's lurking inside HTC and Verizon's new Droid DNA smartphone? Wonder no more. Here's the full HTC Droid DNA spec list --

Camera: 8MP, f/2.0, 28mm wide angle lens, smart LTE flash, BSI sensor, autofocus, HTC ImageChip and 1080p HD video recorder; 2.1MP front-facing camera with BSI sensor and 1080p video recorder.
Display: 5-inch HD 1080p Super LCD 3 screen (1920x1080); 440PPI
Processor: 1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 APQ8064 and MDM9615m
Memory: 16GB eMMC, (11GB usable storage), 2 GB RAM
Battery: 2020mAh lithium ion - embedded
Network Technology: 4G LTE, CDMA, Quad GSM, Quad UMTS
Wifi: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Dimensions: 141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm
Weight: 138 grams / 4.86 ounces
Additional features: NFC, HDMI via MHL, HTML5, Bluetooth 4.0 aptX, microUSB, microSIM, headset and speaker amplifiers, 3.5mm 2.55v stereo audio jack, dual microphone noise cancellation, embedded wireless charging, G-sensor, ambient light sensor, digital compass, proximity sensor, gyro sensor.

if the battery proves to last at LEAST a day with normal usage then this is my next device!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87