Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Default Re: Impulse purchased a DNA. Mixed feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocis View Post
    Firefox isn't bad either.
    I am really liking Firefox now, they seem to have ironed out all of the kinks.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

I'm coming from a GS3 and I agree it's only a slight upgrade in terms of specs. However, it definitely feels more solid and in my opinion looks nicer.

BTW, I typically sell my old phones for at least 200 to 300 dollars, so that's how I'm able to afford full priced phones every six months. I also don't have that much debt. Device junky that I am.

Global Posts
    1,138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by jfoofoo View Post
    Besides the screen, you are not really upgrading much coming from a SGS3 to DNA. It's a trade that you win some and you lose some. If I am you, I would have waited for something else.
    Better hardware(I. E. Processor) as well...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Default Impulse purchased a DNA. Mixed feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by zxphenomenalxz View Post
    I came from gs3. I feel it is an upgrade for a few reasons.. build quality. Bigger screen with better quality. Camera tad better . Feels faster to me as well.. I contemplated waiting for note 2 but that really would of felt like less of an upgrade to me. It would of been same phone with a bigger screen and a few stylus dedicated apps. I have no remorse and I am the type that usually does. I bought the 8x on launch day and returned it next day.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Dual core vs quad core. Big difference

Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    Priorities. It's amazing what you can do if you are willing to live on ramen and water for a few years.

I feel guilty about it in a sort of weird, "I should have just spent the money on Apple stock" sort of way.
    Ok. Well, my priorities are my kid n bills. I'm not willing to live on ramen n water. I like to cook, and I've been poor, not by choice, I mean poorer than I am now n it's not fun. I couldn't even afford a cheap phone 5 yrs ago . I lived n a homeless shelter n I just know Where my money should go. It isn't multiple phones, but if u don't have a spouse n kids to support, more power to ya.

O_o WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force One View Post
    Honestly, as hobbies go, mobile devices are rather cheap. As compared to something like Home Theater where a nice projector can set you back $30,000-$50,000.....and that's just the beginning....then you have carpet, seating, components like amplifiers, processors....and on and on...or what about cars as a hobby........talk about MONEY.
    Yeah, I can't afford hobbies like that. I have bills to pay n a family to feed. I'm lucky I got the phone I did. My husband is on work comp n just had back surgery, n we really couldn't afford it, but I worked extra hours n threw a fit so I got it. It WAS my bday present after all n I worked my *** off to pay for it.

O_o WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~
    Thanked by:
    dragonsamus and leroybrute like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LuvHorses View Post
    in daily use? how so? in my opinion it is absolutely not a big difference. are you speaking in reference to gaming? because otherwise, my dual core maxx hd opens apps just as fast, it checks and navigates emails as fast, it opens the phonebook as fast, it texts as fast, etc., etc. for your average daily use there is no visible difference. for the defenders. i know quad core is superior and has much more processing power, but in daily use, it is not visible. and yes, this is side by side comparison.

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

Quote Originally Posted by LuvHorses View Post
    The DNA has to push much more pixels. The difference in performance is not as big as it seems on paper because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    in daily use? how so? in my opinion it is absolutely not a big difference. are you speaking in reference to gaming? because otherwise, my dual core maxx hd opens apps just as fast, it checks and navigates emails as fast, it opens the phonebook as fast, it texts as fast, etc., etc. for your average daily use there is no visible difference. for the defenders. i know quad core is superior and has much more processing power, but in daily use, it is not visible. and yes, this is side by side comparison.
    I agree with this in general. When more multi-tasking is in use, I think the difference is a bit more noticable. But for general use, day to day tasks, I think the phones software has more to do with speed at this point than dual/quad core ..

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    I agree with this in general. When more multi-tasking is in use, I think the difference is a bit more noticable. But for general use, day to day tasks, I think the phones software has more to do with speed at this point than dual/quad core ..
    The amount of RAM is also gonna make one of the biggest differences. The 2GB in my S3 allows me to multitask all day.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hossman12 View Post
    The amount of RAM is also gonna make one of the biggest differences. The 2GB in my S3 allows me to multitask all day.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
    the 2GB of RAM in the S3 allows it to barely run Touch Wiz!!! i believe this is why the Maxx HD beat it 3 out of 5 benchmarks with basically same processor specs, but S3 having 2GB of RAM vs 1GB .
    Who? likes this.

I don't see the DNA as nearly enough of an upgrade over a GS3. No SD or removable battery is really poor planning and the 1080p is nice, but adds zero functionality.

Note 2 is a much more capable device.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

the 2GB of RAM in the S3 allows it to barely run Touch Wiz!!! i believe this is why the Maxx HD beat it 3 out of 5 benchmarks with basically same processor specs, but S3 having 2GB of RAM vs 1GB .
    I don't see how does having 1.1 gig of ram free on touchwiz is barely having free ram. That is more than what the Maxx HD has at its maximum. How much free ram do you have? 500? Guess what? We still double your ram.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s14tat View Post
    I don't see how does having 1.1 gig of ram free on touchwiz is barely having free ram. That is more than what the Maxx HD has at its maximum. How much free ram do you have? 500? Guess what? We still double your ram.
    and we still beat you 3 out of 5 benchmarks! im not sure what your point is. i was just replying to hossman's statement about the 2GB in the S3

the 2GB of RAM in the S3 allows it to barely run Touch Wiz!!! .
    Based on what? Certainly not real world use. The thing flies in all areas when I tried it and on my friends phone. Benchmarks don't mean anything for me anymore, as they rarely reflect my real world use anyway.

I also don't understand why you need to troll like this. The S3 is a smooth, great phone. So is the Maxx HD. So is the DNA. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. Choice makes Android great...

You seem to have the best phone for you, as do we all...
    dragonsamus likes this.

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Barely running touchwiz over here....lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impulse purchased a DNA. Mixed feelings.-uploadfromtaptalk1353794580559.jpg  

Stop feeding the troll =p
    taylorz_412 likes this.

This is why i decided to skip the DNA and go to The Note 2. Its a much better upgrade coming from the S3.

This is incorrect, i have an S3 and is capable of running touch wiz no problem.

Thanked by:
    Necrosis likes this.

I can tell you battery life sucks for me but I'm also a battery hog, I will be wanting a bigger battery for the note2 when I trade this DNA in for it.

The Nottinator
    Who? and leroybrute like this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Quote Originally Posted by hell_on_heels View Post
    Ok. Well, my priorities are my kid n bills. I'm not willing to live on ramen n water. I like to cook, and I've been poor, not by choice, I mean poorer than I am now n it's not fun. I couldn't even afford a cheap phone 5 yrs ago . I lived n a homeless shelter n I just know Where my money should go. It isn't multiple phones, but if u don't have a spouse n kids to support, more power to ya.

O_o WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_
    I do have a wife and child to support, in fact. Both of whom prefer apple products. Weep for me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Insider View Post
    This is why i decided to skip the DNA and go to The Note 2. Its a much better upgrade coming from the S3.

I think the Note 2 is really just a stretched out SGS3 and to me that really would have been a side grade. What does the Note 2 have (besides an s pen) that the SGS3 doesn't?

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I think we are in a good place at Verizon with devices. A choice can be made based on the features are important for you. If brand loyalties are important, you have that too.

Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    First, the display is extremely sharp. I can almost justify moving from my old phone (a SGS3 on Verizon) to this.

I tried to get a good comparison but fiddling with macro mode on my camera didn't result in clear photos but given that they're a bit out of focus,
    iPhone 4S Retina:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268628/Comparison/iPhone4S.jpg

Ill trade you 2 devices for your DNA...you can sell 5hem and get what you want. P m me with a email address. Im on AT&T, will even through in a bonus.
    DNA:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268628/Comparison/DroidDNA.png

Both shots taken from the same distance from the display and at the same zoom level. View the full size images but the Retina display has extremely easily identifiable pixels and the DNA is just about like print.

A few odd thing so far:
    * My car charger which has worked with every other micro-USB device in the world (SGS3, Thunderbolt, my jetpack, everything) does not charge the DNA. That's annoying.

* The camera is very good. I can't get a feel for how it is compared to phones like the Lumia 920 but it does seem to be better than the SGS 3 and certainly much more responsive.

* I was using Facebook Messenger's SMS/MMS integration on the SGS3 and loved it. It doesn't seem to be available on the DNA, even though I'm seemingly using the same version of messenger.

* I'd read reports of the DNA UI being laggy or stalling, and haven't observed any of that so far. It seems very fast to me.

* I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse which is really unusual for me for a phone. Every other upgrade I've ever done the phone I was upgrading to was much better than the phone I was upgrading from (e.g., Thunderbolt->Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Nexus->SGS3) but this feels more like a sidegrade than an upgrade, except for the display and maybe the camera.

* Some of the UI elements are misplaced. e.g., google chrome:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268628/Comp.../UImistake.jpg

Notice the tab count number isn't centered as it should be.

Will trade you 2 devices, im on at&t sell them you can buy whatever you want then. Both in pristine cond. Ill even throw in a bonus. PM me with a email or cell#.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast