Droid DNA - BAD Bluetooth Car Phone Call Audio? And intermittent garbled non-BT calls?

disneyf1

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
New problem since update: can't listen to music over BT headset anymore (car doesnt have ability, so don't know about that)

Personally, after the update I have had some issues with it being too loud for listeners when using my car BT and a few instances of dropped sound on my BlueAnt T1. Since performing a handful of restarts, though, it seems better on both.

Jury still out until further usage can be compiled.

UPDATE: this morning the music problem disapearred and I can now hear music over the headset. No changes or restarts were done, so ...?

Last edited:

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried deleting the pairing, and the re-pairing the BT headset/truck head unit? Since you've received the update, I think that might help?

After updating 2/12/2013, my Bluetooth connection both on my headset and in my truck are unusable. The noise level is so bad most callers say it sounds like i am at a party. How could this last update have changed the quality of the Bluetooth connection? Verizon says they have updated to fix the call quality of the Bluetooth but mine wasn't broken and worked fine before the update. Why would an update fix some phones but not others? Seems like they are using different radios in the same model causing update problems. I should not have to buy all new Bluetooth accessories for the DNA.

stinger22

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
My bluetooth through either the H720 or Plantronics is still not useable. I can't hardly understand them now and the audio quality in the car seems to have deteriorated. The in care is through a Roadster which uses FM modulation and there has been a lot of background noise on FM lately, seems to be a rash of sunspots? So will keep monitoring.

pcuciti

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Having similar problems with Droid DNA and Jawbone ERA. I hear folks fine but they ALL compain about a horrible connection and being hard to hear me. Works fine with wired headsets, speakerphone, or normal phone. ERA worked flawlessly with my old Blackberry. I hope HTC gets their fix out soon!

My first instinct is a noise canceling issue...

Clayton S

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have deleted and re-paired but the quality is the issue not the connection. I have a bluetooth handset in my home that I can not use because it will not let me pick up incoming calls on the actual cell phone if it is paired with the bluetooth handset. It will click click click click in my ear for about 15 seconds. So I have to either use only the paired device every time or unpair it if i want to use the the actual cell phone. I know this sounds confusing but bottom line is if a device is paired, you must use that device for ALL calls, you can not place an outgoing call using the cell phone if it is paired with a bluetooth heatset/handset it will click in your ear over and over. This was not the case before the update. I would like to see more options in the Bluetooth menu.

d30usps

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My new dna sounds awful on bluetooth, I have new 2013 tucson and the bluetooth is so garbled I can not use it. My lg phone worked perfectly with the bluetooth. I drive every day and need the handsfree. So disappointed.

gregthor

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First, I think it's appalling that for all the money we all spend on phones and monthly service that we have to figure out the problems ourselves through these Forums instead of holding the manufacturers/service providers accountable by hounding their Call Centers for assistance or RETURNING THE PHONES TO VERIZON and EXPECTING THEM to provide the answers we need........but I digress..My brand new HTC DNA (which I thought would be a natural transition from my intuitive, instinctive, fabulous 4 year old Motorola DroidX which had no problems with my Motorola bluetooth headset) doesn't understand the commands of my less than one year old Bluetooth headset....And like all of you, my friends that I talk to while driving are saying "What's wrong? You sound garbled...the beginning and end of what you're saying is lost or...how come I can't hear you?".....Tonight, the Verizon store representative played dumb and tried to look up various things on the Internet. So I came home and did the same and found all of you....The reality is...you guys have been talking about this problem with HTC DNA phones vs. Bluetooth since last November!!! (6 months)....so my Verizon store definitely had to know there was a problem and didn't admit it. Since I am within the 14 day return policy, I'm taking my HTC DNA back tomorrow and going with something hopefully less troublesome........

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Does your phone have the update installed? That corrected my Bluetooth issues.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My phone works fine with car's Bluetooth. I only use it for calls and everyone says it is very clear.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

SamNapkins

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Adding my two cents here...

I just got my new Droid DNA a few days ago and today I tested the bluetooth by pairing it with my JVC X50BT stereo receiver in my car. Much to my disappointment, the audio quality was unacceptable. I am a bit of an audiophile but I don't think it is just me being picky. The high end frequencies such as on stringed instruments are VERY fuzzy and static sounding. The sound quality is almost exactly the same as with my previous phone, the HTC Trophy. My initial thought was that it must be the receiver, but after doing some research, I don't believe this is the case. The stereo unit has excellent reviews across the board, and I haven't found anyone complain about the bluetooth quality. On the contrary, it is easy to find complaints about audio quality on a number of HTC devices. I think this is an HTC issue. To clarify, I just got my phone three days ago and it does indeed have the new update installed. I can't speak to the quality of bluetooth calls because I don't have a headset.

If anyone knows a solution it would be much appreciated!

Comp625

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
My DNA works flawlessly with my 2011 Nissan Maxima. Crystal clear calls on Bluetooth and handset only. I have a Bose Bluetooth headset when not in the car and that is clear too. I also have it paired with three other portable Bluetooth speakers and they all work like they should. One thing I have learned is that every phone works differently with Bluetooth car kits. I have a GNex, SGIII and Droid Razr Maxx HD. The SGIII and GNex sound terrible through my car and the Razr is crystal clear. It is all about drivers and codecs. There really is not much that can be done to fix it. That is why I always have to choose the phone that works the best with my car even if it Is not the one I like the best. Good Luck!

I realize this is an older thread but wanted to add to the Maxima comment since trying to talk computer/tech stuff on Nissan-specific forums is impossible (e.g. most people there are more concerned with ricing and wheels, rather than BT call quality).

I, too, have a Nissan Maxima (2010 with Navigation - but essentially the same as techgeek32#WN's 2011 model). I had the Galaxy Nexus before (used 4.2, 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 ROM's) and have the Galaxy S3 now (4.1.2 ROM). People have always said that I sound HORRIBLE when using Bluetooth through the car. I always thought I was nuts but I'm very glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Calls are especially bad when traveling on the highway when you can It's almost as if the microphone picks up too much ambient noise.

Are there any apps that reduce the Bluetooth Phonecall Mic Gain?

spaznerd

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same problem with my DNA since day one with my Infiniti. I've spoken to HTC as well as Infiniti in hopes to resolve the problem. Nothing. The answer is stop buying HTC products. When they took it off the shelf after 6 months, I knew something was up. In the meantime. Motorola is still there. Done with HTC for good.