Broken Screen

Saraf F

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my DNA once - ONCE. It slid very gently out of my jacket pocket and onto the ground from where I was sitting in my car, a drop of about 2 feet. And the entire screen is shattered. I can't even use the front facing camera because a huge crack runs right across it. I called Verizon and they wanted me to turn it in to insurance. Really. After 5 days. I'm thinking 1) this is not the performance they promised with their "gorilla glass" (not that I would expect it to never break, but I wouldn't expect it to shatter from this) 2) If the phone is really this delicate then I'm returning it and getting a different phone. My last phone was a Droid 2X R2D2 from Motorola. I dropped poor R2 about a million times and, while it did break eventually, it was a small crack, not a complete shattering of the glass.

I am completely heatbroken over this because I was really liking this phone. Anyone else have any problems like this?

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Dropped mine down brick stairs once...dropped it at the supermarket once, and dropped it at the car wash once. Not a single scratch.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you have a tendency to drop devices and probably should use a case. Nobody promised anything by using gorilla glass. I don't ever recall any documentation of said claim.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Scratch resistant. Not shatter proof. I mean it is glass. Sorry to hear that happen to your phone tho :(

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If you drop ANY glass from 2 feet, it has a chance of breaking. It sucks that your brand new phone is broken, but let's be realistic... It's not Verizon's fault.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have two girls with iphone, you can't begin to guess how many screens I've replaced, Ditto on your loss.. they can take a drop but if it hits just the wrong way, well... I dropped my last phone (many times) but the one time afterward the volume buttons would no longer worked.. what a pain !

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my DNA once - ONCE. It slid very gently out of my jacket pocket and onto the ground from where I was sitting in my car, a drop of about 2 feet. And the entire screen is shattered. I can't even use the front facing camera because a huge crack runs right across it. I called Verizon and they wanted me to turn it in to insurance. Really. After 5 days. I'm thinking 1) this is not the performance they promised with their "gorilla glass" (not that I would expect it to never break, but I wouldn't expect it to shatter from this) 2) If the phone is really this delicate then I'm returning it and getting a different phone. My last phone was a Droid 2X R2D2 from Motorola. I dropped poor R2 about a million times and, while it did break eventually, it was a small crack, not a complete shattering of the glass.

I am completely heatbroken over this because I was really liking this phone. Anyone else have any problems like this?

Your fault, not Verizon's, and there is no possibility of returning it now that its broken.

Gorilla glass has never, NOT ONCE, been advertised as shatter or break proof. It is scratch resistant and nothing more.

You learned your lesson. Get a case and make sure your device is secured.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Generally speaking, the harder something is, like glass, the more brittle it will be. Gorilla glass is extremely hard, therefor scratch resistant, but not so shatter resistant. Find a case you like and keep it protected. Hope you get a new DNA soon!

I have two girls with iphone, you can't begin to guess how many screens I've replaced, Ditto on your loss.. they can take a drop but if it hits just the wrong way, well... I dropped my last phone (many times) but the one time afterward the volume buttons would no longer worked.. what a pain !

My buddy's iphone screen seemed like it was perpetually cracked. In the 3 years he had them I don't remember once seeing the screen without damage regardless of the fact that he got it replaced 5 times!

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This one time at band camp. .........jk

With phone manufacturers pushing the glass to the very edge of these devices, they are more prone than ever to break the screens. Use of a case is a must.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'd use the insurance then get a case for the new one.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

dls2981

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Sarah F:

I just purchased the Droid DNA on Thursday. There were a few issues with it, and I was planning on exchanging it for the Samsung GS 3, Friday after I got off work. Unfortunately, I dropped it from about 4 feet above the ground, inside on a smooth floor, and the screen shattered just like 1 of the old smartphones without Gorilla Glass. Prior to this phone, I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is. So for my droid DNA to totally shattered from falling, I was shocked. This is a defect with the phone, it is not what people on this thread are saying. It is not the fact that glass shatters. Instead, the glass rest above the lip of the phone so when it hits anything, it will shatter. This phone design will shatter if you had it in your pocket and bumped up again the corner of a countertop. It is such an excellent phone, except for this issue with the positioning of the glass, some issues with Bluetooth connectivity and the fact that it does not have an external SD card slot.

The phone is a beta, and definitely needs a revision before I will purchase it again. It has a beautiful display and takes the most detailed pictures I have ever seen, but if the phone will not last longer than 1 week, it is not worth it. I would wait for the Droid DNA 2 to come out before buying another.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

But I disagree with your conclusion that there is a glass defect. It is edge-to-edge glass, a design FEATURE, and one that is very impressing in use.

I am willing to deal with the prospect of this screen breaking after just one fall (it is what I would expect) for the sake of the edge-to-edge design feature.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sarah F:

I just purchased the Droid DNA on Thursday. There were a few issues with it, and I was planning on exchanging it for the Samsung GS 3, Friday after I got off work. Unfortunately, I dropped it from about 4 feet above the ground, inside on a smooth floor, and the screen shattered just like 1 of the old smartphones without Gorilla Glass. Prior to this phone, I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is. So for my droid DNA to totally shattered from falling, I was shocked. This is a defect with the phone, it is not what people on this thread are saying. It is not the fact that glass shatters. Instead, the glass rest above the lip of the phone so when it hits anything, it will shatter. This phone design will shatter if you had it in your pocket and bumped up again the corner of a countertop. It is such an excellent phone, except for this issue with the positioning of the glass, some issues with Bluetooth connectivity and the fact that it does not have an external SD card slot.

The phone is a beta, and definitely needs a revision before I will purchase it again. It has a beautiful display and takes the most detailed pictures I have ever seen, but if the phone will not last longer than 1 week, it is not worth it. I would wait for the Droid DNA 2 to come out before buying another.

Your entire post is incorrect. Gorilla glass, as has been posted a thousand times before, is not shatter proof. If you drop it, chances are it will break. It IS still glass after all. There is no defect. If you took care of your device and didn't drop it, you'd be fine.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Your entire post is incorrect. Gorilla glass, as has been posted a thousand times before, is not shatter proof. If you drop it, chances are it will break. It IS still glass after all. There is no defect. If you took care of your device and didn't drop it, you'd be fine.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you but I am.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Sarah F:
I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is.

And this didn't scratch your phone? I find it hard to believe anyone would do this thinking it was a safe and wouldn't damage your phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And this didn't scratch your phone? I find it hard to believe anyone would do this thinking it was a safe and wouldn't damage your phone.

He has one post. I think the OP realized he wasn't getting any sympathy and decided to artificially 'support' his own post.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Sarah F:

Prior to this phone, I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is.

TaTdV.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress