Doubts about Android Updates

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not in any way trying to troll here, but I'm just wondering if there are many here who are hesitant of purchasing the HTC DNA because of nagging thoughts about whether or not HTC will actually push software updates for this device to make it fully useable over the next 2 years or just ignore updates and push out a larger capacity product with larger battery say 3 months down the road. Bearing in mind the fiasco with the Thunderbolt, One X, and several others who have been left hanging in limbo about update delays whether it be a HTC fault or a carrier delay. Not sure at all if this is considered truly a "flagship" device now or if that even matters. Of course, one might say you risk that possibility with any smartphone, computer, or any other tech device that you purchase at any one point in time. It just seems that HTC has been a bit lacking in this dept in comparison to other platforms such as pure Nexus or IOS. I hate the thought of buying this product knowing full well HTC's history, and the same thing with others such as Motorola, etc. I just feel its getting a bit long in the tooth to waste a lot of money any more on these devices that may or may not receive reasonably prompt updates. Wondering how others here feel?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is the biggest issue. They always hold up crap like this. I am not saying that HTC is all that speedy either, just saying Verizon is the biggest roadblock. I can guarantee that the DNA will see KLP, maybe 3-5 months after it is released in Mayish, but other than that it is a crap shoot.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is the biggest issue. They always hold up crap like this. I am not saying that HTC is all that speedy either, just saying Verizon is the biggest roadblock. I can guarantee that the DNA will see KLP, maybe 3-5 months after it is released in Mayish, but other than that it is a crap shoot.

Exactly.

I... whether or not HTC will actually push software updates for this device to make it fully useable over the next 2 years ...
Well the DNA is "fully usable" now, and will be for 2 years for me without a single update. It is a fantastic phone. Phones that are released with something glaring lacking (software-wise) are ones that one might say (still with hyperbole) need to be updated "to be usable".

Essentially every single device, outside of a global Nexus, will be waiting on - or denied - software updates with Android. That is the way it is. Some manufacturers are slightly better than others, but all in the US have to go through carriers, which are the ultimate roadblocks. The key is to get a phone that has what you need and want at launch . This way you won't have to play the waiting game.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Ya I'm not sure if I'm too worried about it. Even with my nexus I hadn't really cared as much as I should have since I had a nexus. But I agree with dsignori, my phone is a beast right now, so even if I don't see another update I don't think ill even notice. I mean with the sense overlay would we really even be able to tell all that much anyway?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
with 4.2 or 4.2.1, I dont really think so. Who knows with KLP since it is going to be a "major" upgrade (in terms of version number).

The thing that hold the manufacturer up is also the thing I and everyone else touts and that is the skin and the addons. It takes time to bake that stuff in. if Verizon didnt have the damn bloat they would be able to turn an upgrade around in days or weeks instead of months. for something like 4.2 to 4.2.1 it still should just be days...

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
While I agree Above the phone is very good as is.. running JB keeps it smooth and it has enough horsepower to keep up with new changes down the road. There is a Dev support community, which in the long run will tend to make better ROMs than what was released by vZ anyway. There's where I get my updates, it's opened sourced.

Fraggle79

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how much it will help Verizon speed up update delivery, but the DNA and Nexus now use the same CPU and GPU as well as Ram amount. No SD as well so they won't need extra work for that either. Only issue is screen size really since it's new. I expect that we may get updates a little quicker so long as HTC is able to bake Sense in fast enough.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The problem isn't baking in sense, it is hooking in the bloatware that Verizon has throughout both sense and android

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hope it's not as bad as the Dinc2 either, not even getting ICS! Has HTC improved since older phones or are they still about the same lack of updates? Regardless of who's fault it is!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
One nice thing that Google has been doing recently is transitioning what in the past had required an OS upgrade as App updates. Things like the Calendar App, Search, and the latest GMail update all come to mind. These make it much easier to live without a specific OS update.

Another thing that may or may not be a good sign is that the DNA launched with the latest JB release at the time... pretty close at least. I don't think 4.2 was available yet when they had to put them in to production to meet the release date.
Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

RLGL1

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
VZ has already updated the RM series to JellyBean form ICS. So I kinda think HTC is the anchor for the change.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't count on updates, guys. After the phone's been out for a year, Verizon will forget about you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo