Would you....

jerseykirby

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Would you give up your Droid DNA for the GS3? I currently have both devices, while both of them have their ups and downs I was just simply looking to get other opinions. I love both devices and jump back and forth between them, some things bug me about both like the lag on the HTC keyboard or the service issues I had with the S3. Let me know your opinion.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
No. I gave up the DNA and KEPT the S3. The S3 is more compact. Battery is pretty decent - not quite as good as the DNA. Display is just as good. DNA is faster, but the S3 is very fast. You cannot add storage to the DNA - you can with the S3. Yeah yeah yeah, cloud blah blah blah security blah blah blah. Don't want to hear it. I want my data local and if I lose my phone I have a lot more problems than the data on the phone which is backed up anyway. Besides, the Asian version has a Micro SD slot - I'm not buying that they can't put it in or that it's somehow better for us without it - it's saving HTC a few bucks on each unit sold and that's the reason it's not there, period. All other reasons are marketing spin. The biggest thing I found though was that the S3 is more stable than the DNA. Weird things happen from time to time on the DNA that don't happen on the S3 - for instance launchers losing settings, requiring me to go back and reset them. Some apps do not display correctly on the DNA which do on the S3. I just find the S3 a better phone in daily use. I could have put up with the hardware, but the inconsistent stability of the DNA kinda drove me nuts. That was a shame - it's a great phone with a minor mental disorder, whereas the S3 is just plain great.

Of course that meant I only had two phones, so I had to replace the DNA with something. Turned out to be the Note 2, which lands tomorrow (just in time for a road trip!). I started using Samsung with the 5" Player, which was and remains a wonderful mini-tablet. The the S3 is the Player, but with phone and mobile data and a much better display. I think the Note will be an even better one.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't. I love the DNA. Display is second to none and I get great battery life without having to turn brightness down or other techniques. Its lightning fast and incredibly smooth. I don't have the stability or launcher issues MikeLip had so I cant speak to those. All around an incredible phone. Does everything I need, and it does it FAST and smooth.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
No. I gave up the DNA and KEPT the S3. The S3 is more compact. Battery is pretty decent - not quite as good as the DNA. Display is just as good. DNA is faster, but the S3 is very fast. You cannot add storage to the DNA - you can with the S3. Yeah yeah yeah, cloud blah blah blah security blah blah blah. Don't want to hear it. I want my data local and if I lose my phone I have a lot more problems than the data on the phone which is backed up anyway. Besides, the Asian version has a Micro SD slot - I'm not buying that they can't put it in or that it's somehow better for us without it - it's saving HTC a few bucks on each unit sold and that's the reason it's not there, period. All other reasons are marketing spin. The biggest thing I found though was that the S3 is more stable than the DNA. Weird things happen from time to time on the DNA that don't happen on the S3 - for instance launchers losing settings, requiring me to go back and reset them. Some apps do not display correctly on the DNA which do on the S3. I just find the S3 a better phone in daily use. I could have put up with the hardware, but the inconsistent stability of the DNA kinda drove me nuts. That was a shame - it's a great phone with a minor mental disorder, whereas the S3 is just plain great.

Of course that meant I only had two phones, so I had to replace the DNA with something. Turned out to be the Note 2, which lands tomorrow (just in time for a road trip!). I started using Samsung with the 5" Player, which was and remains a wonderful mini-tablet. The the S3 is the Player, but with phone and mobile data and a much better display. I think the Note will be an even better one.

I thought I remember reading (probably on this site, now that I think about it) that the DNA idea was brought to HTC by Verizon. Basically, Verizon were the ones who requested which features it would and would not have, such as an SD slot. Then the J-butterfly or DLX or whatever was adopted after the fact and the slot was added. Verizon allowed it since they don't compete with the people selling those phones. You are completely right though, its not better for us without it, its better for Verizon and makes us use more data for the cloud. I don't know how true this is but it would make sense to me. I will try to find sources if I remember after work.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I thought I remember reading (probably on this site, now that I think about it) that the DNA idea was brought to HTC by Verizon. Basically, Verizon were the ones who requested which features it would and would not have, such as an SD slot. Then the J-butterfly or DLX or whatever was adopted after the fact and the slot was added. Verizon allowed it since they don't compete with the people selling those phones. You are completely right though, its not better for us without it, its better for Verizon and makes us use more data for the cloud. I don't know how true this is but it would make sense to me. I will try to find sources if I remember after work.

You're right. There's numerous reports on the Web, including one on the new York times I belive that say it was a joint venture between vzw and htc.

Also, no I wouldnt trade my dna for an S3. It will take me quite a bit to buy samsung again. They're successful yes, but I don't really like anything they have going on

Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Not for the GS3, no. But honestly, I'd give it up in a heartbeat for the Note 2. Just set up my mom's, and it's just better in most ways (except for the display!). Certainly larger and borderline awkward, but the battery life is incredible compared to my DNA. Like, 3x better. What would have essentially drained my DNA's battery, only took up 30% on the Note 2--with both wifi and 4G on, as well as GPS through most. To think, instead of lugging around an external battery charger, I could just slip a tiny lithium ion replacement battery in my bag--if the first ever had a chance to get drained :p.

The speakers are fabulous, the S pen is a lot more useful than I thought it'd be, the camera is better, it feels faster, it doesn't hiccup or overheat as badly as my DNA, it has expandable memory. If I were back in school, I really wouldn't even need to take a tablet to class every day as the screen is large enough. Kids a few years younger than me are carrying around 7" tablets to class, but when I was a freshman I had a 17" laptop because tablets were still new technology :p. The multitasking is a nice feature, too. The only drawback for me is the screen (once you have 1080x1920 there's no turning back). Wishful thinking or no, I'll have my DNA for at least a year or so, and it's a great device on its own :).

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No, I just gave up my GS3 for the DNA.
I went through 3 GS3's since it came out and I finally got fed up. The first unit slowly lost all GPS capabilities (known issue according to Verizon). Second unit would not turn off notifications regardless of what I did (Verizon store confirmed, salesman said "Dude, this thing is broke". Third unit, back to the GPS issue. The GS3 is a great phone aside from the overall build quality (really cheap feeling) and the ongoing GPS issues....it either works or it does not. I use my phone for business, no games, music, etc. therefore the battery and storage are not an issue.
The overall build quality surpasses the GS3 by a mile. At this point the speed is not a concern when you consider that most of the newer phones are smoking fast.
The GPS is instantaneous and all other functions seem to work really well (I have only had the DNA for a few days).
Because of the known GPS (radio) issues on the GS3 Verizon swapped out the phone for the DNA. I am surprised that nothing has been to date to address the GPS problem.
It will be interesting to see if the new GS4 will stay with the cheap plastic platform considering that the new HTC One is built from a single block of aluminum.
Again, GS3 is a great phone if you have one that works.