Volume no longer working

eisenhulk

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey, guys.

Over the weekend the volume just stopped working on my DNA. I don't receive text/email/voicemail sounds. When I watch a video, there is no sound. I've gone in and checked all volume settings and everything seems to working properly. I've also reset and shut the phone down numerous times, but nothing seems to work. Has the speaker just gone out completely? I'm not sure if it's related or not, but about a month ago, the headphones jack stopped working as well. Is it time to dump the phone? I still have four months left on my Verizon contract before I can upgrade.

Please help. Thanks, everyone.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is one of those that it could all be related or not. First turn off your Bluetooth setting, if you have it on, next plug anything into your headphone jack. Is there a symbol in your notifications that shows something is plugged in? If so try to do anything with sound on the phone and see if you hear it in the headphones. I know you said you lost them a while ago, but have you done anything to try and get them back? Alcohol swab the port, blow it out with compressed air, gently picked around in there with a tooth pick? I'm just trying to eliminate the phone thinking the sound should be diverted to something other than your speaker. If you don't get the headphone icon, and even if you do, set an alarm and see if you get sound. Usually notifications and phone sounds go through the headphones if the phone thinks there are some plugged in, however alarms always sound through the speakers. This will at least give you an idea if the speaker works or not. Another test would be to place a call and put it on speakerphone. While you still maybe able to make calls and hear the caller while talking regularly, the small speaker in the top of the device may be working OK but speakerphone uses the big speaker in the back. No alarms, no speakerphone, I'd say no speaker.

eisenhulk

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response, man. I tried everything you suggested....nothing worked. So I picked up the HTC One (M8) today and switched to the Edge Plan for Verizon.

Ok this is one of those that it could all be related or not. First turn off your Bluetooth setting, if you have it on, next plug anything into your headphone jack. Is there a symbol in your notifications that shows something is plugged in? If so try to do anything with sound on the phone and see if you hear it in the headphones. I know you said you lost them a while ago, but have you done anything to try and get them back? Alcohol swab the port, blow it out with compressed air, gently picked around in there with a tooth pick? I'm just trying to eliminate the phone thinking the sound should be diverted to something other than your speaker. If you don't get the headphone icon, and even if you do, set an alarm and see if you get sound. Usually notifications and phone sounds go through the headphones if the phone thinks there are some plugged in, however alarms always sound through the speakers. This will at least give you an idea if the speaker works or not. Another test would be to place a call and put it on speakerphone. While you still maybe able to make calls and hear the caller while talking regularly, the small speaker in the top of the device may be working OK but speakerphone uses the big speaker in the back. No alarms, no speakerphone, I'd say no speaker.