New family data plans ?

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone heard about Verizon offering family data plans starting sometime middle to late August? I just read a post in the vzw forums about this. This might be the way to go for people with multiple smartphones on a family plan.

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Verizon to introduce family data plans in mid-August? | cell phones
If the rumor ends up being true, it could point to the iPhone going to Sprint and/or T-mobile, the former rumored to have had cell towers go up on Apple's campus. They have to do something or they risk losing loyal customers because of their data requirements and high prices.

This may be what I need to stay on VZW, my kids are now teens and they have earned to have a smartphone but the base $30 data is too steap considering they would be using our home wifi the most. My 16 year old barely uses 1gb on her Fascinate. So I've thought about Tmobile if the purchase by AT&T doesn't happen, at least move kids over and get a $10 data plan for them. Walmarts cell plans are tempting too. I have 2 upgrades now available and was looking at the BOGO for D3, replace my wifes D2 and my 13 year old likes it to. So maybe now I can justify her having a smartphone on VZW? I know for a fact that we can share 10GB a month with wifi at home. Interesting non the less!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, is 5 gigs enough for 3 smartphones? And what would the base price be? This woulda been rad when it was unlimited.

sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, is 5 gigs enough for 3 smartphones? And what would the base price be? This woulda been rad when it was unlimited.

sent from my DInc2 with Tapatalk

Depends on usage, we would be cutting it close with 5GB on the current 3. I'm looking at 10GB for 4 smartphones and maybe a 5th in a few years. My 16 year old doesn't use 1GB now, so my 13 year old would use the same or less since she has a rooted NC at home. Another thing I also thought about, corporate discount! As it is I only get 18% off my primary data. So only 1/3 of the $90 of data gets discount, so if price of 10GB is $80 for primary I should get a better discount than before? I called Verizon today and was told they haven't been told anything about family data plans. I'm interested in BOGO on D3.

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
If the family data plans do happen and if they are not to pricey then I would probably get it. I have 5 phones that have unlimited data right now on special promo pricing ( $20 discount to each phone line making the unlimited data only $9.99) . This special pricing ends in November :'( . So I'll either look for the family data plan hopefully in place by then or its back to dumb phones for my kids:( . Cause I can't afford that much dough. Pay enough as it is!

Also if I do end up getting the family data plan, I would just teach my family to use our wifi whenever possible. Plus, get them in the habit of disabling their data when not in use. I think with practicing those kind of habits anyone could get by on a shared data plan and not be a data hog. Just my 2 cents.

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
If the family data plans do happen and if they are not to pricey then I would probably get it. I have 5 phones that have unlimited data right now on special promo pricing ( $20 discount to each phone line making the unlimited data only $9.99) . This special pricing ends in November :'( . So I'll either look for the family data plan hopefully in place by then or its back to dumb phones for my kids:( . Cause I can't afford that much dough. Pay enough as it is!

Also if I do end up getting the family data plan, I would just teach my family to use our wifi whenever possible. Plus, get them in the habit of disabling their data when not in use. I think with practicing those kind of habits anyone could get by on a shared data plan and not be a data hog. Just my 2 cents.

You got one hell of a promo price, and I'm sure we would be able to alocate how much data a line can use. Like now we can use My Verizon and give each line a cap of minutes to use from shared minutes, so my kids should have be ok with 1GB each. So the rest will be for me and the misses. I can't wait to add a few more Androids to the family.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty