We're NOT getting ginger

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: We're NOT getting ginger/Yes We Are

Now you can be 100% sure instead of "about" 100%... :)

Yea! The support documents, including update instructions, are on the Verizon website. Apparently, it will start rolling out on August 16, with most of us getting it by Friday, August 19th.

I was "this close" to attempting the rooting thing. Now I will just hold off and see what Gingerbread brings...:)

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Yea! The support documents, including update instructions, are on the Verizon website. Apparently, it will start rolling out on August 16, with most of us getting it by Friday, August 19th.

I was "this close" to attempting the rooting thing. Now I will just hold off and see what Gingerbread brings...:)
It's my understanding that HTC imposes the limitation that is causing the 'Application Data Space Low' warnings. If my understanding is correct, and if HTC's and VZW's implementation of Gingerbread doesn't alleviate that limitation, I'll still be going the root route very soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: kareden

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site

It's my understanding that HTC imposes the limitation that is causing the 'Application Data Space Low' warnings. If my understanding is correct, and if HTC's and VZW's implementation of Gingerbread doesn't alleviate that limitation, I'll still be going the root route very soon.

Thanks for mentioning that. I was under the impression that the limitation was an inherent shortcoming of Froyo. If it is HTC/Verizon imposing that limitation and Gingerbread doesn't eliminate those (extremely annoying) partitions, then I will also root my phone. And while I'm at it, I'll get rid of all that crapware installed by Verizon. :mad:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind folks that if you unroot and take the OTA - you may not be able to get Root back for quite some time.

A very good point Stig.

I'm not sure why anyone who is rooted would un-root just so they can get Gingerbread, when Gingerbread has been available to rooted users for weeks now...months if you count Cyanogen Mod 7 which is vanilla Gingerbread.

For those of you rooted users that are still using Froyo based ROM's, try a Gingersense ROM...they've been very ironed out for a few weeks now. I'm using a Gingerbread + Sense 3.0 ROM and have total functionality...GPS, works...camera, works...720 video, works.

At this point I honestly couldn't care less if the Inc ever get's GB. It's going to be so "Verizoned" it will be rediculous...I mean really, adding a bookmark for the NY Times that I'm just going to delete anyway???!! Thats a worthwhile upgrade.

If you haven't rooted...do it now or risk not getting root for weeks....if you are rooted, stay that way and get some Gingerbread and a Sense upgrade via some Gingersense ROM's.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
A very good point Stig.

I'm not sure why anyone who is rooted would un-root just so they can get Gingerbread, when Gingerbread has been available to rooted users for weeks now...months if you count Cyanogen Mod 7 which is vanilla Gingerbread.

For those of you rooted users that are still using Froyo based ROM's, try a Gingersense ROM...they've been very ironed out for a few weeks now. I'm using a Gingerbread + Sense 3.0 ROM and have total functionality...GPS, works...camera, works...720 video, works.

At this point I honestly couldn't care less if the Inc ever get's GB. It's going to be so "Verizoned" it will be rediculous...I mean really, adding a bookmark for the NY Times that I'm just going to delete anyway???!! Thats a worthwhile upgrade.

If you haven't rooted...do it now or risk not getting root for weeks....if you are rooted, stay that way and get some Gingerbread and a Sense upgrade via some Gingersense ROM's.

i'm mainly concerned with the new kernal and new radio.

which, i'm sure the devs over at XDA are sitting like predators ready to pounce on the source code and radio.

not to mention the bloatware, yeah, scrabble, like i'm REALLY going to play scrabble when i hate the board game. sure.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
New kernels and radios are all well and fine but why would anyone unroot just to get it.

To me it makes much more sense to stay rooted and wait for your dev of choice to do their thing with the new goodies.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I may be mistaken in the thought that the 'application data space is low' problem is due to HTC/VZW. Here's the thread and the posts I was thinking of:http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/36899-low-space-application-data-space-low-notification-6.html#post975616. This makes it appear to be a limitation with Froyo (and, perhaps, earlier and maybe even later) versions of Android. If so, rooting and installing a different ROM wouldn't necessarily alleviate the problem. Also, HTC/VZW's version of Gingerbread might not even alleviate it, either. Thoughts?

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
New kernels and radios are all well and fine but why would anyone unroot just to get it.

To me it makes much more sense to stay rooted and wait for your dev of choice to do their thing with the new goodies.

Wait. Stop. If I load a rom on there, can I still do TV Out? Take vids and pics with the same quality as my phone was designed to? What other functionality am I losing?

This is why I have unrooted and am waiting for the update.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't know about TV cause I've never had a need for it. I know there are ROMS out there that incorporate TV out. As far as the camera goes, using Nils Business Gongersense 3.0, I have full camera function including full 720 video recording. There is no functionality lost.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't know about TV cause I've never had a need for it. I know there are ROMS out there that incorporate TV out. As far as the camera goes, using Nils Business Gongersense 3.0, I have full camera function including full 720 video recording. There is no functionality lost.

That is my point though as to why someone may want to root, but not actually install a ROM. You've got to hunt and peck for a stable ROM which includes all the options each person wants (I travel a lot so having my TV Out cables with me makes it much easier to get to my Netflix than dragging my PS3 every where with me).

So while I will miss my tethering for a bit, I will still get an updated version of GB and throw some faith to the Android community that I will be able to root again.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
That is my point though as to why someone may want to root, but not actually install a ROM. You've got to hunt and peck for a stable ROM which includes all the options each person wants (I travel a lot so having my TV Out cables with me makes it much easier to get to my Netflix than dragging my PS3 every where with me).

So while I will miss my tethering for a bit, I will still get an updated version of GB and throw some faith to the Android community that I will be able to root again.

I still fail to see your point. If you unroot and take the OTA, you are basically downloading a different ROM. Sure you get to keep all your data without having to go through and get every thing reset the way you like it but its a different ROM. Also its not like Verizon has ever put out an "update" that wasn't perfect. And it's a ROM that is sure to be loaded with stuff you/me/the rest of the readers on this site wouldn't use like the VZ navigator and other stuff.

Obviously everyone here is free to do as they will but it seems to me that once you've rooted and had a taste of freedom, going back would just be frustrating in the sense that you are no longer free to do as you wish with your phone, wether that be de-bloating, tethering, flashing ROM's etc.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I may be mistaken in the thought that the 'application data space is low' problem is due to HTC/VZW. Here's the thread and the posts I was thinking of:http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/36899-low-space-application-data-space-low-notification-6.html#post975616. This makes it appear to be a limitation with Froyo (and, perhaps, earlier and maybe even later) versions of Android. If so, rooting and installing a different ROM wouldn't necessarily alleviate the problem. Also, HTC/VZW's version of Gingerbread might not even alleviate it, either. Thoughts?

Can anyone who has installed a ROM vouch for whether their 'low application data space' issues have truly disappeared?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone who has installed a ROM vouch for whether their 'low application data space' issues have truly disappeared?

I have installed at least a dozen ROM's...some I kept for weeks, some for a few days, some didn't last more than a few hours. I have never gotten the "low app data" message from any of them.

My most used ROM's are/were Virtuous, Skyraider 4.xx series, Cyanogen Mod 7, and currently Nils' Business Gingersense 3.0 v1.6.

All are fantastic ROMs that really add some great features and customizations, and in the case of my current ROM, some great updates to Sense and Gingerbread.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. It would be helpful to know whether someone who was experiencing the 'low app data' problem saw the problem go away upon installing a ROM. Does that describe you, by chance? I've been experiencing the problem (yet again) for the last few days...though it's not occurring at the moment.