Integration with Google Apps Domains

looper_man

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi forum,

I have a few specific questions regarding the integration with Google Apps Domains (i.e. personally owned domains that are hosted by Google Apps).

Here's what I'd like to do. I have Exchange for work, and multiple Google Apps domains for personal accounts. I'd like to sync, at a minimum:

1) Work Exchange email/calendar/contacts
2) Primary Google Apps accounts email/calendar/contacts
3) Subsequent Google Apps accounts email

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to:
4) View other calendars from one of my Google Apps domains
5) Sync additional Google Apps accounts calendar/contacts

I can't seem to find proof that I can do some or all of this. Some things I've seen online indicate:
a) only one ActiveSync account (rules out using ActiveSync for my Google Accounts)
b) only primary Google Apps account syncs calendar/contacts

I haven't seen any definitive statement that says I can sync email/contacts/calendar from both ActiveSync and Google Apps domain (at a minimum). I was hoping someone can speak to these questions from experience.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what phone better meets my needs, i.e. Incredible vs. iPhone 4 (which supports multiple exchange accounts, and I believe can do what I need).

Thanks in advance....

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a regular GMail account and 2 Google Apps domains. I can confirm for you that the e-mail push works just as well for the Apps domains as GMail, and that you can use the calendar. The trick with the calendar is telling the app to select the right one, but I have to admit some ignorance here because I use the Pure calendar widget to consolidate my GMail and Apps calendars onto one screen.

Oh, and calendar sharing works too - one of the domains I use is for family use, and we all share a common calendar that I display in that as well.

Switching in e-mail is easy, just hit Menu->Accounts, and go to the account you're looking for.

looper_man

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Does this mean that you can only look at one calendar at a time? Can you not see multiple calendars merged together in one view? Or is that what you're using the third party app for?

And you mention "switching email". Same question here. Do I have a "unified inbox" (i.e. can I see all my email in one inbox)? Or do I need to do something to switch between accounts?

Thanks.....

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I think giant has his Apps account set up within the Gmail app, which is the way you have to do it to get true push service. The Gmail app doesn't have a unified inbox. Don't bother setting up your Apps accounts in the Android email app - you won't het push.

Using the native Calendar on the Inc...I think giant is right in that the easiest way to show events from multiple calendars is to share those calendars with your primary calendar. Once sharing is set up, you could go into the Inc calendar's settings and add those calendars.

Otherwise, look for a calendar app in the Market. Something there might consolidate multiple calendars. (I haven't needed to look.)

I don't use Exchange; so, no comment there.

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes - you have to enable sharing in order for the Google Apps calendars to show as unified. I didn't bother - with the Pure widget, I select what calendars I want showing, and I get them all in a nice, neat list. From initial fooling around with the Calendar app, it's sharing or nothing if I understood correctly.

Is there another way to do it? Probably, but for my needs I'm OK stopping right there.

As for e-mail, they're not in one unified menu as TBolt mentioned above, but IMO it's better that way. One of those accounts is one I use that gets all kinds of spam mail, and the other I use for my business. I can easily flip back and forth by hitting menu-accounts (I'm sure there's probably a keyboard or screen shortcut too that I haven't found yet). And it's true push, you get it when the server does, and there's no limit on how many accounts. Awesome!

looper_man

May 12, 2010
Visit site
As for e-mail, they're not in one unified menu as TBolt mentioned above, but IMO it's better that way. One of those accounts is one I use that gets all kinds of spam mail, and the other I use for my business. I can easily flip back and forth by hitting menu-accounts (I'm sure there's probably a keyboard or screen shortcut too that I haven't found yet). And it's true push, you get it when the server does, and there's no limit on how many accounts. Awesome!

I think giant has his Apps account set up within the Gmail app, which is the way you have to do it to get true push service. The Gmail app doesn't have a unified inbox. Don't bother setting up your Apps accounts in the Android email app - you won't het push.

So this means that I have to choose between Unified Inbox (Android Mail app) and push (Gmail app)? Is that correct? I also have a yahoo account. So it sounds like the recommendation would be Gmail (for Google accounts, so I get push), Android Mail (for Yahoo), and Exchange Mail (for Exchange). Is this correct? Sounds like a pain to me to be switching around all over the place to get to all my email accounts. I'm coming from a BB Tour, so I'm used to (and like) the unified inbox concept.

Yes - you have to enable sharing in order for the Google Apps calendars to show as unified. I didn't bother - with the Pure widget, I select what calendars I want showing, and I get them all in a nice, neat list. From initial fooling around with the Calendar app, it's sharing or nothing if I understood correctly.

Using the native Calendar on the Inc...I think giant is right in that the easiest way to show events from multiple calendars is to share those calendars with your primary calendar. Once sharing is set up, you could go into the Inc calendar's settings and add those calendars.

Sounds like I can see multiple Google calendars one way or the other (sharing them with primary is fine). But can I see both Exchange and Google Apps calendars in the same view (i.e. simultaneously? That's still not clear to me.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't bother with Exchange; so, I can't add much more. The inconveniences mentioned seem like a very small price to pay for the added capabilities of the Inc vs any BlackBerry. That said, hey...there is always the refund policy. :)

looper_man

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't bother with Exchange; so, I can't add much more. The inconveniences mentioned seem like a very small price to pay for the added capabilities of the Inc vs any BlackBerry. That said, hey...there is always the refund policy. :)

The BB is on it's way out. I've loved my BB's over the past few years, but RIM is just too slow to move these days. Really it's a question for me of Android vs. iPhone4. I believe the iPhone4 will support multiple exchange accounts with an integrated inbox (as per the iPhone4 OS preview info), so I think it will do everything I want. All things being equal I'd probably lean towards Android (especially if iPhone doesn't show up on VZW this year), but that core feature set (i.e. email/calendar/contacts) is my primary concern.

Anyone else have any suggestions for how I can make Android work for me?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Engadget is convinced that VZW will have the iPhone this year. I prefer Android, but it's an interesting development. I know quite a few iPhone lovers will be happy to be on a real network for once. Hehehe