For those who want the second GB update/patch

timdgibson

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
As other people have said, when I tried changing the year (after unchecking auto), it went back to the current date.

I was able to change the month, checkin, and get the update notification. But it will not restart. I waited 20 minutes, restarted it myself, and nothing. I then changed the date back to today, went through that whole process, and nothing. Back to a month from now, whole process again, and nothing.

This is ridiculous. Now we need an update to the update to the update to the update. No wonder the iPhone is the #1 smartphone.

Tim

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
As other people have said, when I tried changing the year (after unchecking auto), it went back to the current date.

I was able to change the month, checkin, and get the update notification. But it will not restart. I waited 20 minutes, restarted it myself, and nothing. I then changed the date back to today, went through that whole process, and nothing. Back to a month from now, whole process again, and nothing.

This is ridiculous. Now we need an update to the update to the update to the update. No wonder the iPhone is the #1 smartphone.

Tim

Funny how many things Apple won't let you have control of but they will let you download and Install an update.

Anyway after using the month trick my wife's keeps getting stuck on.

System Update
OK
cancel cancel
OK

Rebooting now...
Cancel Install

or on the regular system update page

Last edited:

Bucsfan76

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyway after using the month trick my wife's keeps getting stuck on.

System Update
OK
cancel cancel
OK

Rebooting now...
Cancel Install

First time I gave it about 15min this time I'm past 25...

I have tried everything and my phone says it wants to reboot and just sits there too. I can seem to get the update, had the not enough space to download, then changed date ect ect ect...nothing. I guess I will just have to wait to see if they push again

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I have tried everything and my phone says it wants to reboot and just sits there too. I can seem to get the update, had the not enough space to download, then changed date ect ect ect...nothing. I guess I will just have to wait to see if they push again

Same here, time to wait for the update for the update of the update.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Same here. "Not enough free space. You don't have enough free storage space to install this system update. Please remove application data or mail messages, such as Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange, AOL, etc. from your phone to make more free space before trying to install again."

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'll take door number 3, Monty... worked for me.

Edit: Spoke too soon, it wouldn't reboot for me either. Finally just restarted my phone so that I could keep using it today.

Last edited:

johnhboyd

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I got the first update yesterday to ver 4.06.605.3. Notified about the second update this morning, but got the message about insufficient memory like everyone else. (I also have the Icon for Insufficient Memory on the notification bar). I have similar memory available.

Just tried the steps to force the update. Changing the month got me the notice, but it didn't reboot. I have tried Power off/on, and the Power Off-Restart. Neither one worked.

JBurger538

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been having all of the same issues with the 8 MB update that it seems like a lot of you are having.
My phone is now just sitting around with the System updates title bar,

Ok
Cancel

OK

now for at least 30 minutes and still no reboot. This after the date change workaround and initial install fail due to not enough disk space. Has anyone got thru this and how long have they waited?

What is verizon/HTC thinking with all of these hassles and bad OTA updates?

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problem as everyone else. Didn't have enough space. Had to uninstall things to make room. Forced update. Now it won't reboot. Oh well.

On the plus side, I was able to update my wife's phone with no issues. I made sure to make room before updating.

1776_1865_RIP

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps they are thinking we should buy new phones? Sign new contracts?

Who knows; kinda sad since I have had two since day one and they have really been great phones.

jimed43

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Same boat, Got 2nd update last night, did not have enough space, cleared out some apps, and after the countdown to reboot, it just sits there.

jblasbalg

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Same boat...

• Updated to the interim release yesterday
  • Woke up this morning with the new release available (woohoo!)
  • Wouldn't update due to lack of memory (boo!)
  • Said "system up to date" (What?)
  • Tried the *#*# to no avail (hmm)
  • Tried to change the date, but it kept setting it back to the correct date even though "automatic" was not checked (almost giving up)
  • Manually restarted the phone using the 3rd option in the power down menu
  • Checked for updates again and it found it again!!

Currently downloading the update now...i fully expect it to try and freeze at the shutting down step as others have posted, but i'll remain cautiously optimistic....will keep everyone posted!!

[UPDATE] "Rebooting now..."... and by "now", they mean "never"....oh well...i guess like the rest of you i will just be happy that my phone works, and i'll wait for the *real* update....

Last edited:

KenB

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm having similar issues. I got the old GB update when it first came out. Got the notice for the 8 meg update this morning. Tried to install and got a low memory error. Cleared some stuff off and didn't get the update.

Couldn't change the date to a year ahead (same issue as above) but was able to go one month ahead. Got the update but no reboot.

DAMN!

jkbrown1986

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just like you guys; '4.08...' update this morning, not enough space, uninstalled a large app, no update, set date ahead, got update, hung at "Rebooting now..."

This is kinda ridiculous.

live311

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I forced the update by changing the month and got the same hang at reboot as everyone else. I manually restarted and the update didn't take. If your phone is currently functional, my advice is to leave it alone until HTC patches the patch that was supposed to patch the patch. Or get an iPhone.:mad:

Grettski

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I got the big update the other night on two phones, and the small update this morning on one. Everything went smooth on them all so far. It sounds like I'm the lucky one after reading this thread!