is this true????

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
some guy wrote this i would like to know if its true.. i purchased my INC on Ebay ....

Most people are asking for more than retail price which is $529.99. Worst part is even though you have Verizon, Verizon will NOT warranty the phone, not even the 1 year manufacturers warranty. They will only service or issue you a replacement phone if you yourself purchased through Verizon. Also you can't even add the monthly insurance. Which means if that beautiful $529.00 phone you paid $600-$700 breaks or you lose it or it starts acting up guess what YOUR STUCK.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, that may be true, but if you're the primary account holder and if you have a high enough monthly plan (if you're using the Incredible you should), you can get an annual upgrade every year that lets you get a new phone at the 2-year contract price. So after that 1 year manufacturer's warranty is up and if it gets damaged, you should be able to just go and buy the latest and greatest thing out there at the 2-year price.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had insurance on phones and it follows your number, not the device, so if I had bought a used phone as long as I had insurance prior to it, then it would transfer to the new device.

At least that is how Assurion used to work.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Why would Verizon warranty something they did not sell?
They are the carrier, The warranty is actually through HTC, Verizon is the middle man.

moskins

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Newbie here, but have been on Verizon ever since the great Storm 1, which I dumped for the Tour, which I picked up on eBay. I had the insurance coverage on the Storm and when I called to activate the Tour, the rep informed me that the insurance coverage had to come off since VZW did not sell me the phone.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I used to get people coming in asking for warranty replacements on phones all of the time and I would get warranty replacements out to them. They do an ESN trace and see where the ESN has been and what line it was first on, if that has been within a year when it was first activated they warranty the phone out. Also with Assurion I've gotten insurance claims on phones I've bought off eBay they follow your number not model of phone as long as you've kept the insurance on there.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I didn't buy my phone off eBay but I did buy it from Amazon and when I initialized my phone (replaced a Storm 2) the insurance was added to it, they did not say that it had to come off it.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
My wife and I both have insurance on our phones, neither were bought from Verizon.

They were purchased new in box, so we were the only people to ever activate them, maybe that matters?

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Not completely related to this exact problem, but I can tell you from first hand experience. If you change your plan, add a line do ANYTHING over the phone or at a store. Verify before you leave they didn't change your insurance. Somehow when I did a upgrade on a 3rd line, they removed my insurance on my main line - you know the one with my Incredible. They CAN NOT and will not be able to reapply the insurance even if it was their mistake.

Be warned if you pay for it they state even if you didn't make changes to specific features IE: Insurance, that it's YOUR personal responsiblity to review your bill, as well as to verify your services before getting off the line or leaving the store.

So I was forced to activate Black Tie protection from Best buy, only good note in all of this. They don't do refurished phones and there is no 90$ replacement fee. Which as of recent is the cost if it's not a manufacture recall / software / hardware issue. If you scratch screen = 90$ for replacement, you break it = 90$ replacement as far as Verizon insurance goes. Maybe you have a friend working there or get lucky, but all of this information is directly from a Manager I spoke with when I tried to argue they would be putting insurance they removed at there own fault back on my account. Which is not possible, so I got a credit which got me 120$ off my Incredible.

Please please take the extra time to ask questions and understand what you're paying for with the insurance. I personally found out the hardway, granted them removing the insurance is bit different since it was their mistake. Still once it's off you are completely SOL.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
They aren't going to cover parts they didn't provide. Especially considering they don't know what shape your phone is in to begin with. If they sell it to you they know it's a new working phone. I don't blame HTC or Verizon because I wouldn't cover "unknown" variables either. I blame the people who don't read their contracts when they sign em, fine print will getcha everytime!

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I didn't buy my phone off eBay but I did buy it from Amazon and when I initialized my phone (replaced a Storm 2) the insurance was added to it, they did not say that it had to come off it.

Amazon is an authorized VZW seller just like any non-corporate Verizon store. eBay is not an authorized dealer and therefor Verizon does not have to honor anything they do. The reason is simple. While sometimes it may not appear so, Verizon does require high level adherence to strict policies and customer service of all their partner outlets. Nobody requires anything of eBay sellers except deliver the product you said you would deliver in a timely fashion.

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Amazon is an authorized seller of Verizon phones. Buying from them is no different than buying from an indep owned store.

Check with the manufacturer, but for sure Verizon wont insure a phone that was re-sold by someone nOT authorized.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I insure my phone for $18 a year through my business policy. Check your homeowners or renters insurance policy. Might be cheaper option.

Careful about using your HO or Renters policy. I would also check that Business policy to see what your deductible is as most business owners carry high deductibles on equipment and property. Cellular phones are a "special coverage" and subject to your normal deductible. A claim might also cost you the Claims Free discount you have if you have not made a claim in five years. I am an insurance agent and always send my clients to Assurian or one of the other specialty carriers.

gt3dan

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
day after day i'm on the forums reading post after post about how johnny had this happen to him and suzie had this happen to her and everyone in between has had something different happen to them. this is because verizons managers and customer service reps have alot of leeway in handling each and every transaction. depending on the situation and what you came in the door for and that persons demeanor, is all a direct reflection of how you are helped. the verizon wireless corporate store in los angeles operates completely different than the one in chicago as does the one in new york. you can't ask someone on the forums what the exact outcome is going to be because everyone gets handled differently. i'm here to tell you that the policies verizon has isn't worth the paper their written on. If your walking in the door the last day of the month and your adding a line (hint hint), they will practically do anything for you including handing you the keys to the store. to answer the original posted question, based on written policy the phone purchased on ebay should not be covered by any warranty and no you cannot put insurance on it, however there are a million different ways that you could have it reaplced under warranty and have insurance put on it.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
day after day i'm on the forums reading post after post about how johnny had this happen to him and suzie had this happen to her and everyone in between has had something different happen to them. this is because verizons managers and customer service reps have alot of leeway in handling each and every transaction. depending on the situation and what you came in the door for and that persons demeanor, is all a direct reflection of how you are helped. the verizon wireless corporate store in los angeles operates completely different than the one in chicago as does the one in new york. you can't ask someone on the forums what the exact outcome is going to be because everyone gets handled differently. i'm here to tell you that the policies verizon has isn't worth the paper their written on. If your walking in the door the last day of the month and your adding a line (hint hint), they will practically do anything for you including handing you the keys to the store. to answer the original posted question, based on written policy the phone purchased on ebay should not be covered by any warranty and no you cannot put insurance on it, however there are a million different ways that you could have it reaplced under warranty and have insurance put on it.

And your hint falls under what you said above. Verizon has always been very consistent with me from store to store over the web and on the phone. They do have leeways they can take if circumstances are right and criteria are correct. And sometime those criteria can be ignored when dealing with a rude or irate customer. Everyone knows that and pretty much every business on earth is like that in one form or another.

I know from dealing with Verizon, and talking with friends, a lot of the leeway is decided based upon how long you have been a customer and if you keep your account in good standing consistently. Also some of their leeway is given based on how high of a plan you have and what kind of contract you have signed 1 year or two year, are you enrolled in NE2, are you off contract, so you have more than one line etc etc etc?

Bottom line is your experience may vary depending on your terms, how you act, and what level of experience or what kind of day the person you are talking to has had. That's why you see a lot of people saying, "if you don't hear what you want call back"....just something to chew on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38