Incredible vs. Droid 2

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
A coworker of mine just got his Droid 2 and was showing it to me yesterday. I asked why he chose that over the Dinc and he said he just needed the physical keyboard. It was his first smartphone and he was in awe of what these phones can do. It was fun to watch him use it and how much he liked it. It was my first time seeing it and trying it out and I was not impressed at all. The scrolling was choppy and the screen was dull compared to my Dinc. When I showed him my Dinc the first thing he mentioned was how much better the screen looked and although I could tell he liked my phone a little better he just can't get away from a physical keyboard.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I can see why some people like the physical keyboard (my sister's husband is like that) . I guess what ever works best for you , for my preference if I am going to get a touchscreen I dont need a physical keyboard(slider type phones) I will stick will just the ALL touch type EX: incredible or dx

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'd find it a lot easier getting used to typing on a touchscreen vs. getting used to choppy/dull screen.

I never understood the "I can't get away from a physical keyboard" argument. I don't think there are many people at all who type well on a touch screen the very first time. Just like most things in life, you get proficient but constant repeated practice through use of the phone.

People forget that this was the prevailing wisdom when phone keyboards started to show up ("I don't think I'll ever get used to typing on that tiny thing vs. a full computer keyboard")

Well they adapted and now to many it's like second nature.

telkins

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Droid but found I was much better typing on the virtual keyboard. I am faster and more accurate with the virtual. I guess it's an individual thing.
I swapped out for a dinc and haven't looked back! LOVE IT!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
From a heuristic point of view: touchscreens have one less step.

On a physical keyboard there is selection (put your finger on the key) and confirmation (press the key). Touch screens (excluding the Storm1/Storm2) combine these use cases into one (selection/confirmation).

This is also why RIM thought that surepress would take off...by keeping the heuristic identical to that of a physical keyboard, the transition would be less disruptive. On a Storm, there is still selection and confirmation...two separate steps.

Companies like Swype took the completely opposite approach: Despite their suffixes, virtual keyboards and physical keyboards are nothing alike, therefore it doesn't make sense to adapt the heuristics of a physical keyboard to a virtual keyboard no matter how streamlined they may be.

So, they started from scratch and came up with he most efficient way to input text on a virtual keyboard that fully leverages the advantages of capacitive touch screens and the virtual nature of the keyboard.

Guess which method will win out in the end? (hint: it's not surepress)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, they started from scratch and came up with he most efficient way to input text on a virtual keyboard that fully leverages the advantages of capacitive touch screens and the virtual nature of the keyboard.

Guess which method will win out in the end? (hint: it's not surepress)

lol , too bad ... haha :p I do love swype on my dx(default installed) , hopeful to have it on incredible once its out of closed beta

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit and I'm probably in the minority but I loved my BB Storm because of the click screen. It was my first smart phone and I liked the fact that I could keep my finger on the screen and high lite something on a web page without opening it until I pressed the screen. I also found using the keyboard very easy with fewer mistakes and having to back track. Speed is not an issue for me as I don't need to type so fast that my eyes cant follow my fingers like some people type. The worst part of the phone was the internet connection. Compared to the Dinc its like the stone ages. How RIMM could put out a product to compete with other smartphones with an internet connection like they have is very poor.
Anyway I have the Dinc and love it. Now if we can only get that damn FROYO
update life would be a little tastier.

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I was nervous about having an all touch screen phone at first. Coming from the LG Voyager, the physical keyboard on it was great but the virtual keyboard sucked (which I found out later is that the touch screen was that horrible). When I got the Incredible, I was blown away by the responsiveness of it and how great it actually was. I adapted fast and haven't looked back.

I would rather have the smoothest and fastest phone than sacrifice that for a physical keyboard...

ShannonDavis

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you anicholas7. There were two things I miss from my Storm1: Surepress and Poynt. I now have Poynt. So, now, the only thing I miss is Surepress. Select and confirm feel like one step when you get comfortable typing. I would never go back to the Storm after the AWESOME experience of using the Incredible. But, if there was one thing I might consider changing in the DINC, I would include surepress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana