Notification sound won't change

thirdeye82

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried searching for a solution to my problem but couldn't find any help. I just tried to change my notification sound and even though it shows a different sound selected in the menu (and plays the sound when I select it) it is stuck on the old sound that I no longer want to use. I have tried pulling the battery with no luck. It doesn't matter if I choose a stock notification sound or a custom one. When I exit the notification sound menu and re-enter it it shows that I have the new sound selected but keeps playing the old one every time I get a message. Has anyone run into this problem before?

thirdeye82

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Alright. I figured it out. Somehow the path name of the notifications sound folder on my SD card had changed and was no longer all lower case letters. Once I renamed every folder with all lower case letters (media/audio/notifications) the notifications sound started working normally again. This started happening around the time of the last update pushed by Verizon so it might have had something to with it.

spmk

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same problem since I got my Nexus S two weeks ago. I tried the solution above but it made no difference to me. Then I found the answer on another forum . Rather than go to the "notifications" selection in the main "settings" menu on the home page, which is what the instructions tell you to do, you need to go into "messaging", then the "menu" key along the bottom of the phone, scroll down to "notifications", then "choose ringtone". Once you have saved and selected here, it will change the tone. I had downloaded a tone to my PC, then copied it to my "notifications" folder when my phone was connected to the pc, so it now shows in the selection. As you can tell , I'm new to smart phones!! I will learn about apps one day!:)

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem since I got my Nexus S two weeks ago. I tried the solution above but it made no difference to me. Then I found the answer on another forum . Rather than go to the "notifications" selection in the main "settings" menu on the home page, which is what the instructions tell you to do, you need to go into "messaging", then the "menu" key along the bottom of the phone, scroll down to "notifications", then "choose ringtone". Once you have saved and selected here, it will change the tone. I had downloaded a tone to my PC, then copied it to my "notifications" folder when my phone was connected to the pc, so it now shows in the selection. As you can tell , I'm new to smart phones!! I will learn about apps one day!:)

You probably found it in another thread because this is the HTC Incredible forum and you have a Nexus S. There are some commonalities between most Android based phones but there are also a lot of differences in menu's and other things when you start adding on the manufacturer's (HTC in this case) custom "skins".

Lrac Puclats

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT SOLUTION. This had frustrated me for a while. Changed ringtone from Messaging Settings and now it all works fine. Many suggested doing a complete reset on the phone.

PrettyPsychoPoet

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you SO MUCH! And to think... I used to do tech support for AT&T. All this info was at my fingertips, but I try not to cloud my brain with stuff I don't need when I can turn to people like you to help me! Very Grateful, worked like a charm on my LG Lucid. And come to think of it... it wasn't an issue before the last update. .. :eek:

dandabyutina

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
You're such a genius!!! it took me days to figure out how i can actually customize my notification sound, didn't get any solution until i read your notes! MANY THANKS!!!! IT WORKED!:)

afdave

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an LG G2 on AT&T and doesn't work for me. Was a notification downloaded from ZEDGE and using on TEXTRA as a custom text alert for a specific contact. I've checked every menu I can think of. I uninstalled zedge, but not textra. I deleted the contact and attempted to re-add -- still same notification sound.
I eventually had to delete the notification sound from my phone and now anything I get from that contact doesn't make a sound. I've added various other custom notifications to the contact. I deleted the folder where the custom notification was located. All to no avail. Apparently it is still looking for the one I've deleted and refuses to take any others. I've done everything I can think of short of a factory reset. Super annoying.

Sam K1955

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you thank you thank you!!! This was driving me CRAZY! I have two identical AT&T Samsung Exhilarate phones. One I got from Consumer Cellular, one I got from Amazon. They both have ICS 4.0.4 but the one I got from C.C. sets the tone properly from the main menu/settings. The one I got from Amazon does NOT. Your solution worked for the Amazon phone. Much appreciated!!!

Last edited:

Stoned Fox1

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Yep. me too. I have an alcatel one touch. I use Zedge. It worked fine for a month. I click on help on my phone it goes to the alcatel website. That is useless for other than buying a phone. I search in help it gives me a list of phones to buy. I tried to find another app on google and I seem to find only ones that u make ringtones etc with your own sound files. Oy Vey:mad:

sleepyinsandiego

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I tried searching for a solution to my problem but couldn't find any help. I just tried to change my notification sound and even though it shows a different sound selected in the menu (and plays the sound when I select it) it is stuck on the old sound that I no longer want to use. I have tried pulling the battery with no luck. It doesn't matter if I choose a stock notification sound or a custom one. When I exit the notification sound menu and re-enter it it shows that I have the new sound selected but keeps playing the old one every time I get a message. Has anyone run into this problem before?

I am having almost the same problem. I have gotten my LG G4 to use a downloaded tone with no problem but it wants to use the LG "Crystal" sound also, even though it doesn't show it as selected... And I think that sound is kind of grating and annoying. I wish that I could deselect it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa