Application Data Space Low

tmac9wr

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I had written out a huge response about how my GMail and GChat were messing up and that I was getting an "Application Memory Data Low" alert on my phone...then I started deleting stuff and now everything is back to normal...so here's a couple questions for those of you who know a lot more about the Incredible than I do:

1. I kept checking my SD & Phone Storage and it said there was tons of space available on my phone...am I looking in the correct place?

2. When looking at the applications it says I have the options to "Force Stop" or "Clear Data"...if I cleared the data on a messaging app, would that remove all the accounts I had registered with the app?

3. For anyone else who has had this problem, is there a way to free up some space without uninstalling the app? (would force stop or clear data do that?)

Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

tmac9wr

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So I cleared the data on my Facebook...and then when I signed back in, the amount of data being used is now much lower. However there is also the Facebook for HTC Sense, which is taking up a bit of space...what about my Contact Storage and Dialer Storage? Those are the two largest applications I have running...if I were to clear the data on those apps would I lose all my contacts?

kenjd

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking at those myself and wondering the same thing. Maybe someone could chime in and let us know.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I cleared data and cache on Facebook AND Facebook for HTC Sense and that fixed my issue... Didn't touch anything else, so can't really speak about contacts...

silvra7

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I cleared the data for facebook, and additionally my contacts storage had somehow gotten screwed up where it was taking up 64mb of space, so I backed it up and cleared the data and re-installed. That seemed to work. I'm not sure how the contacts got screwed up though, it was like there were 10 links in each contact, back to the same thing, very screwy.

kenjd

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, the "dialer storage" seems to store text and pic messages. Clear it and all your texts are gone. No biggie unless there is info or pics you haven't saved....like me :/

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I found an app like SMSBackupRestore SMS Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain for free and there is txtForward - SMS to Email txtForward - SMS to Email - Android app on AppBrain but the developer is charging way too much $7.88 for an app that forwards is pricey indeed.

I just found SMS Export Bundle as well (FREE) http://www.appbrain.com/app/sms-export-bundle/com.putitonline.smsexport.bundle so check all three out in the AppBrain Market.

Still if you want to backup or forward to retain a copy there are options.

Yeag3r

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Stupid question of the day.....where do I go to clear such things as Facebook,text messages, etc. I can't find it anywhere?

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Menu - Settings - Applications... Here you can clear the Data and Cache from any apps you have. You should be able to clear all text messages from within whatever app you're using...

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is becoming such a pain. I'm starting to feel like I have a blackberry again. I had to reboot my blackberry once a day to free up memory. I thought I had escaped maintaining my phone. This is pretty frustrating to say the least. I get the "low on space" all the time. The only permanent solution around the web is to restore factory defaults. I've done that, along with many ROMs, a bunch of times. The error always comes back. Low on space shouldn't be an issue with GB's worth of space available.

Is this an HTC or Google issue? Does this happen outside HTC phones?

Is it just me or does it seem like these phones always hit the "wall" around 478 MB left of phone memory?

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can say its an HTC issue with the DInc. I have used 5 different Android phones including the DInc and this is the only one I have the low memory issue on.

Honestly if I didn't like it so much I would have kept the DX just to avoid the memory issue. I have to agree its like maintaining a BlackBerry which is a sad statement. HTC should have made the 8GB of internal memory user accessible for apps.

I can say that Samsung's Galaxy S phones have only 2GB of app memory of course they are still running 2.1 so you can't even put the apps on the SDcard, now that hurts too.

The DInc will hold me over until DInc HD comes out or something else comes along.

Reactions: belogical

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Raptor007, that's what I assumed. I wonder why HTC is just avoiding this issue? I've posted on their forums as well with no response.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Unless some technical person can correct me, it seems like a bug, not an actual memory issue. Everyone is reporting plenty of "Phone memory." I have had it in the past, but have done a wipe since then and have not had the issue since. I had tons of megs free. I don't think facebook or messages are the problem. Clearing them probably triggers a secondary process that actually (temporarily) fixes the issue. It looks to me like a bug hTC is not addressing (like the charging issue). Just my suspicion.

tsmvengy

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Would there be a way to backup the stuff on my phone so that if I factory reset it to try to get rid of this permanently there would be an easy way to get back my apps, settings, texts, etc.?

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Unless some technical person can correct me, it seems like a bug, not an actual memory issue. Everyone is reporting plenty of "Phone memory." I have had it in the past, but have done a wipe since then and have not had the issue since. I had tons of megs free. I don't think facebook or messages are the problem. Clearing them probably triggers a secondary process that actually (temporarily) fixes the issue. It looks to me like a bug hTC is not addressing (like the charging issue). Just my suspicion.

Just curious, how much phone memory do you have?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is a definitely a bug, not an actual memory issue. I even e-mailed HTC about it and they confirmed that it's a software problem. I'm not sure why they didn't rectify this in the November OTA, since they know it's a problem.

The problem is that one of your apps is using more data space than it should. Basically, if you use Dolphin Browser, move the cache to the SD card. Also, clear the data for any news apps, comic strip apps, etc. that you may have (these are always the biggest culprits for me, particularly the NYtimes app). It usually goes away after doing that. If not, delete your facebook data (which really doesn't affect anything) and really the data for any other apps that update a feed constantly. That should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez