Why doesn't contact birthdays trigger alert on notification screen?

Dknight16

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to have birthday alerts show up on the notification screen? A little green circle showing up in the contact list is inadequate unless I'm expected to scroll through my entire contact list every day. Am I missing something?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you really have that many birthdays to remember that you need to always have a notification going off.
No, there's no setting for birthday notifications in Contacts. Facebook will notify you or the only possible way would be to enter each one manually to your calendar and set a notification for it.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you really have that many birthdays to remember that you need to always have a notification going off.

No offence intended but... You must be Single! ;) LOL

I have 3 events programmed family Birthdays and Anniversaries in every calendar program I have! The first is a Week Before saying ?Soand So's Birthday in 1 week.? and then the day before ? ?Tomorrow is your Anniversary Dummy,? and the third is the day of.

The best part was the fact that this year my paranoia paid off. My Wife forgot our Anniversary and I didn?t! I So Won!

All I really know is that if I had forgotten............ <<shudder>>.......... I don't want to really think about that now!

So I completely understand the desire to link the Birthdays in Contacts to a Calendar event. Just wish you could do it.

;)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
No offence intended but... You must be Single! ;) LOL

;)
No I have 30 wives and can never remember their birthdays:p

I am married...I guess I just have a better memory.
Come on now, unless you have a birthday to remember for every single day of the year do you really need to complain about the Contacts list not having notifications for birthdays.
2-3 birthdays every single month can easily be checked on a calendar (and that would be a lot) If its somebody that's important in your life and you can't remember the day of their birthday then their probably not that important. You might also need to set a notification for when Christmas is.
I have my parents, wife, kid and good friends birthdays/anniversaries memorized
Anybody else I would use a calendar...which has notifications.

huffman18

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
No I have 30 wives and can never remember their birthdays:p

I am married...I guess I just have a better memory.
Come on now, unless you have a birthday to remember for every single day of the year do you really need to complain about the Contacts list not having notifications for birthdays.
2-3 birthdays every single month can easily be checked on a calendar (and that would be a lot) If its somebody that's important in your life and you can't remember the day of their birthday then their probably not that important. You might also need to set a notification for when Christmas is.
I have my parents, wife, kid and good friends birthdays/anniversaries memorized
Anybody else I would use a calendar...which has notifications.

If you don't have a logical solution, why are you so compelled to make the question sound dumb? I have my Facebook birthdays integrated into my calendar, and I never get a notice. Wouldn't hate it if I did so I could give a quick shout for their birthday. Next time someone asks a question and you don't know the answer, keep your smug, unhelpful answers to yourself and save em for your healthy marriage I'm sure someone like you has.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have a logical solution, why are you so compelled to make the question sound dumb? I have my Facebook birthdays integrated into my calendar, and I never get a notice. Wouldn't hate it if I did so I could give a quick shout for their birthday. Next time someone asks a question and you don't know the answer, keep your smug, unhelpful answers to yourself and save em for your healthy marriage I'm sure someone like you has.

I did give him an answer. There isnt an option for birthday notifications in the contacts list and to either use FB or manually enter them into his calendar. Just found it interesting that he would have so many birthdays to remember, no smug, whatever guy...im not arguing with you....youre correct.My remark was to the post above me.

DH

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My remark was to the post above me.
DH

Nor did I mean to give offence - It just struck me as funny since people make fun of me all the time for being a "Calandar Facist" and this year it paid off for me. ;)

Frankly it would be easier to keep everything in Outlook Contact's sync tme to Android and then have the Calandar provide a reminder, but it would probably not give me the count down either. Oh well - Mabye in Gingerbread :(

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to have birthday alerts show up on the notification screen? A little green circle showing up in the contact list is inadequate unless I'm expected to scroll through my entire contact list every day. Am I missing something?
Nope I wondered the same thing because you got an alert on my on blackberry but not on android idk why

Dknight16

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess my question was, Contacts allows you to input date driven events, but then does nothing with them. What is the point of that?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I guess my question was, Contacts allows you to input date driven events, but then does nothing with them. What is the point of that?

Yea...you have to actually view the contacts info. The only dates I see are for birthdays and anniversaries which I never even knew was there until you said something. I always used calander events. Maybe in a future update they will have a notification built into the contacts.