ROOTED! WOOHOO! Now what? SUPERCLEAN3?

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Now that I'm rooted, I'm thinking of flashing SuperClean3 unless someone can suggest something better. My original reason for rooting was to fix the random reboots and lock ups I was having with the OTA. Hopefully this ROM will fix that. A few questions first.

Will this work with the stock kernel or do I need to flash a new kernel as well? Are there any other kernels you would suggest that solve any known issues with the stock kernel?
Will I still be able to use swype?
Can I still use Go Launcher EX? I like the folders in this launcher.

Thanks

Cuda

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The world (of Android) is now yours to conquer!
I have had my phone for 13 months now so for about 12 months I have been rooted and tried a ton of ROMs that are out there.

Now I am 99% stock on my ROMs but I am still rooted. I went back to stock and DL09 and then took the long way back and OTAed avery update until I got to the end. I then rooted and have done the following:

1. Taken out any bloatware I did not want
2. Updated my gps.config file with a fix I found on XDA and now it works (for me atleast) a lot better
3. I installed TiBu and restored any programs I wanted

So basically you can take it as far as you want or just stay close to home as I did. Either way ENJOY!

Ps. I LOVE and exclusively use Go Launcher and a lot of their widgets.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Now that I'm rooted, I'm thinking of flashing SuperClean3 unless someone can suggest something better. My original reason for rooting was to fix the random reboots and lock ups I was having with the OTA. Hopefully this ROM will fix that. A few questions first.

Will this work with the stock kernel or do I need to flash a new kernel as well? Are there any other kernels you would suggest that solve any known issues with the stock kernel?
Will I still be able to use swype?
Can I still use Go Launcher EX? I like the folders in this launcher.

Thanks

Cuda

SC3 is nice, very stable, and stays relatively close to stock TW GB. TSM Resurrection is also nice, it's been very stable for me, and has a bit more customization available. I've had zero reboots or lockups with both of these ROMS. There is also a version of ICS out there, which some folks seem to really like, but my phone did not like it at all.

I've stuck with the stock kernel, but there are a couple out there worth trying. Everyone's Fascinate seems to work differently with the different ROMS/kernels.

Yes, you can use Swype and Go Launcher with any of these ROMS, although not sure you would want to use Go Launcher if you try the ICS ROM...you may want to stick with the stock launcher to truly appreciate that particular ROM. Good luck.

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
NICE! Thanks guys. I flashed SC3 and it's awesome! I'm totally happy with it so far. TBU worked like a dream! Now I just have to root my wife's phone. :D

Cuda

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
NICE! Thanks guys. I flashed SC3 and it's awesome! I'm totally happy with it so far. TBU worked like a dream! Now I just have to root my wife's phone. :D

Cuda

Cool. I now see there are a couple new ICS ROMS floating around, so the development for the Fascinate continues, which is awesome...more stuff to try, instead of feeling forgotten. :)

Bdubb513

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Im trying to figure out what to go to next myself. Im currently rooted running froyo. Im pretty sure i found what i want but am not sure on how to get it. I want to run Resurrection, but im not sure what GB to odin first so i can flash resurrection over. any help would be appreciated, and if i posted in the wrong section feel free to steer me in the right direction. thanks again for the help.

errolroach

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly new to being rooted as well (about 3 weeks) and so far I have tried a few of the ROMs floating around...here are my impressions so far:

Superclean: Nice, clean, stable...pretty close to stock GB as far as I remember.

CM7/Skang versions: These were pretty awesome ROMs...however, my phone didn't seem to like them as much as I did. Not sure why. I got a bunch of random "Sleep of Deaths", which, when you use your phone as your alarm clock, is not a good thing. I may go back to try CM9 once ICS source is officially released for the Fascinate.

ICS Roms: These are my favorite. They took some getting used to, but now that I am, I love them. I've tried THS and AOKP, both are great. These ROMs seem to like my phone the best also. I highly recommend these ROMs, just make sure you read through the threads first as flashing them can be tricky.

Also...I've used Glitch kernel on most of these roms they run buttery smooth...especially on ICS. Happy roooting!

Bdubb513

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for responding Errolroach. I will eventually end up on an ICS rom, but i would like to play with a little GB rom for a bit. have you tried ressurection? I seem to like that one the most but confused on how to go about getting it onto the phone, I've read a few threads but they seem old and looks like a bunch of revisions have come out. and not sure if the directions posted early in the threads are the correct way or if it has changed, Ill spend more time reading them later on, but if you have any tips fell free to toss them out there :) thanks again

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for responding Errolroach. I will eventually end up on an ICS rom, but i would like to play with a little GB rom for a bit. have you tried ressurection? I seem to like that one the most but confused on how to go about getting it onto the phone, I've read a few threads but they seem old and looks like a bunch of revisions have come out. and not sure if the directions posted early in the threads are the correct way or if it has changed, Ill spend more time reading them later on, but if you have any tips fell free to toss them out there :) thanks again

Go to section 2 of the first post in this thread:

[GUIDE] Installing a Rom/CWM recovery/Root or going back to Stock - xda-developers

This is the best, most current thread on getting into any ROM available for the Fascinate. If you follow droidstyle's directions to the letter, it should be easy as pie. But basically you are going to load the full stock GB ROM through ODIN, reboot, then load cwm 2.5.x recovery through ODIN, boot into the just loaded recovery (3 finger salute), wipe the big 3, then flash the TSM RES zip file from recovery, and then the GAPPS package as well. Reboot and enjoy.

I was on the latest TSM Resurrection for a while, and loved it. I think it is the best of the GB ROMS...just my opinion of course. I'm on an ICS ROM right now, which is pretty slick, but may go back to TSM Res, that's how much I liked it.

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
What's the difference between Res and SC3?

Also, is there a good reason to change kernels? I'm still a little confused as to what they do and why I would need to change out of EH03.

One more, am I reading right that there is a different method for loading CM7 than something like SC3 or GeeWiz? If so, why? Thanks.

Cuda

errolroach

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Also, is there a good reason to change kernels? I'm still a little confused as to what they do and why I would need to change out of EH03.

One more, am I reading right that there is a different method for loading CM7 than something like SC3 or GeeWiz? If so, why? Thanks.

Cuda

Not sure the difference between Res and SC3...I've never flashed Res but I'm assuming it's just a pimped up version of SC3. As for the rest of your questions...take a look through this link:

[Verizon Fascinate Guide] Flashing a Kernel for EH03

It talks all about flashing Kernels and basically gives a good rundown of what the differences are...and along with Droidstyle's guide that was posted a few posts back, it's a pretty good resource.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Cuda

Res has some cool customizations not available on SC3, otherwise known as "TSM Parts", like statusbar customizations, lockscreen customizations, etc. It's all listed on the thread for the RES ROM at XDA.

I have not changed kernel from EH03, I've had no issues with my phone doing everything it is supposed to do with the EH03 kernel. Some folks use the "custom" kernels for some of the optimizations they provide, like overclocking the cpu, different/better sound/volume controls, etc. Read all about kernels over at XDA to get an in-depth description, I do not know enough, and don't want to steer you wrong.

Yes, loading any of the MTD/AOSP ROMS (CM7, MIUI, ICS) is a different process, it requires a different Recovery (CWM) to be loaded. You can read all about the differences between the two on this forum or at XDA. Basically they are not based on stock, Touchwiz code, they are built from scratch, so to speak, from open source code that developers take and customize and make the ROM work for our Fascinate. The current ICS ROMS for the Fascinate, for example, are "ported" from the source code of ICS (Android 4.0) used on the Nexus. So it has to be hacked together to make it work with the Fascinate, even though it was never released to work on the Fascinate. So using any of these ROMS is basically running a "test" ROM on your phone, so there tends to be things that don't work. Not always the case, but usually something is broken. Like some folks have problems getting wi-fi or MMS to work on the Fasinate when using one of the ICS ROMS. If you use one of the GB/TW ROMS, like RES or SC3, you will not have these issues (if you do, there is something else going on with the phone or the way you loaded the ROM).

Confused? Hopefully I've explained it properly...if not, please someone correct anything I have mistated.

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I might have to try Res then. I'd like to get rid of that stupid battery indicator that is always wrong.

I'd love to try ICS but I'll wait until all the bugs are worked out.

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to help a noob. Good on ya.

Cuda

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
A good explanation of the current landscape. I was running CM7 nightlies and MIUI for a time and other MTD ROMS - these "test" ROMS are really really cool, but I was constantly fighting issues and bugs. When they'd work well it was glorious, but there was always a chance my phone would glitch out or reboot when I really needed it or certain things would not work that I wanted.

I would recommend people try Res first and if you have any issues step down to SC3. I love TSM Parts and I do miss a few of the options quite a bit, but I went with SC3 because I just wanted things to work (only things I really miss are the lockscreen customizations and the notification toggle bar customizations).

One note on kernels - if things are working and you're happy then good, but there is the issue of the Voodoo "lagfix". By using a Voodoo kernel such as KGB or the Leankernel you will likely see a pretty significant performance increase. I have heard the EH03 is quite a bit faster stock than previous Fascinate firmwares, but I still think there is an advantage to Voodoo (you'll want to read up on Voodoo before switching as there are some pitfalls).

Add to this such options as overclocking & undervolting (can really help battery life), but for example on the KGB kernel (that I use currently) there are options to - Boost in-call volume, Boost in-call mic gain, Color Tuning (although I miss the Voodoo color the AOSP option is great to have), Touch-key backlight adjustments, ZRAM (virual RAM), and fixing the Battery Trickle charge issue that some Fascinates suffer under Gingerbread ROMS (like I did).

Last edited:

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Whole new can of worms. What is voodoo? I've heard of it but it doesn't seem to be its own ROM right? What is it? And how do I install it? I'd love to see a performance gain.

I know what you mean about just needing your phone to work. This is not a phone I can just fiddle with. If it dies on me at work (to the point I need Odin) I'm screwed. That's why I went with SC3. Just stable and it stopped the lock ups and random reboots in the middle of calls.

Cuda.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry baby steps - but it's worth reading up on. Here's an old guide that surely needs updating, but it should explain what Voodoo is and its benefits -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...11-kernel-built-source-sound-undervolted.html

I recommend everyone at least take a brief look at the "Sticky" threads at the top of this forum. There information as far as ROMS/Radios/kernels may be a bit dated, but the basic information on how to root and what not to do and how to avoid common pitfalls is still valid. I spent weeks reading all the stickies, guides and ROM threads I could before I event tried rooting. Best thing is now that you have CWM Recovery you can make a complete system (nandroid backup) before tinkering any further so you should always be able to get back to where your phone is right now if things go badly.

Do nandroid backups - look into something like Titanium Backup to further protect yourself and be cautious. It's ALMOST always possible to recover from a screw up, but not always.

If your phone is working good for you don't keep hitting because you don't want to bust.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
A good explanation of the current landscape. I was running CM7 nightlies and MIUI for a time and other MTD ROMS - these "test" ROMS are really really cool, but I was constantly fighting issues and bugs. When they'd work well it was glorious, but there was always a chance my phone would glitch out or reboot when I really needed it or certain things would not work that I wanted.

I would recommend people try Res first and if you have any issues step down to SC3. I love TSM Parts and I do miss a few of the options quite a bit, but I went with SC3 because I just wanted things to work (only things I really miss are the lockscreen customizations and the notification toggle bar customizations).

One note on kernels - if things are working and you're happy then good, but there is the issue of the Voodoo "lagfix". By using a Voodoo kernel such as KGB or the Leankernel you will likely see a pretty significant performance increase. I have heard the EH03 is quite a bit faster stock than previous Fascinate firmwares, but I still think there is an advantage to Voodoo (you'll want to read up on Voodoo before switching as there are some pitfalls).

Add to this such options as overclocking & undervolting (can really help battery life), but for example on the KGB kernel (that I use currently) there are options to - Boost in-call volume, Boost in-call mic gain, Color Tuning (although I miss the Voodoo color the AOSP option is great to have), Touch-key backlight adjustments, ZRAM (virual RAM), and fixing the Battery Trickle charge issue that some Fascinates suffer under Gingerbread ROMS (like I did).

I recommend TSM RES...it's just as stable as Superclean. It IS Superclean actually, just with additional customization options (TSM Parts). And I get great battery life.

As far as battery life, I suggest folks read this before looking for all kinds of crazy things to achieve better battery life...simple things go a long way to better battery life.

Battery truth. Our assumptions are wrong. Probably - xda-developers

I agree with sticking with the stock EH03 kernel if your phone is working fine. Don't mess with what works just for the sake of messing around, especially if the main goal is stability. The custom kernels can be beneficial (negligible in my experience so far), but you also introduce the possibility of more issue/problems as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87