Voodoo is up!

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
The original links is up in sgtmack's post, here's a copy of the XDA post, including the file in case you don't want to login over there, or don't have an account.

Of course all credit to jt1134 for the port, and to Curio and his Voodoo team for the source code.

OK guys, here it is.

First off, have PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!!!!!

It takes a WHILE on the first boot to do the conversion and copy over your data. If you decide to revert back to stock, it will take a WHILE then to convert back. Don't reboot, let it do its thing.

Once you've flashed this kernel, don't just go flashing other kernels. Voodoo changes some key parts of your system and you will have fix them by hand if you flash another kernel without removing voodoo first. To remove, simply do 'adb shell touch /sdcard/Voodoo/disable_lagfix' and then reboot. If you want to re-enable voodoo, then remove that file.

If you have less than 220mb of space remaining on internal storage, then clean some stuff out before flashing this. The kernel itself packaged up here has only been hacked for voodoo, so it is not overclocked.

For those who get excited from staring at Quadrant all day: I KNOW YOUR SCORES ARE NOT AS HIGH AS THEY ARE WITH THE EXT2 "LAGFIX". This is to be expected. Voodoo does not mess with /dbdata but only /data. THIS RESULTS IN ABSOLUTELY NO LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY OR USEABILITY.

If you are running the ext2 "lagfix", please uninstall it before using this. If you have problems, wipe data and try again. Voodoo should retain data, but nothing is foolproof. Be prepared to lose your data!

Thanks to Dirrk and DataSpree for help getting the kernel in a useable condition, and thanks to SuperCurio for the original lagfix and clues on how to get it working with the Fascinate.

If you would like to look at the code for yourself, please check my github @ github.com/jt1134

Enjoy!

EDIT

You should be OK to uninstall 0.1 now if you had it installed. Any issues, see the "How to Completely Remove Vooodoo" post at XDA.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
my guess is just boot into cw and apply the zip, it says you don't need to wipe data unless you have issues after boot.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it changes the ineffecient file system to ext4 which improves the phone's responsiveness.

similar to the earlier lag fix, but this one is an actual fix.

going from .01 to .02 hosed my file system good, getting a replacement phone tomorrow.

.01 really did seem to improve the phone though, it was really really smooth, instead of just being really smooth

-Deeter-

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Brandon, do you know if anyone is making a "for dummies" guide on installing, uninstalling this? Like literally a step by step guide? Not that I would need any info on something like this, but a guy I know might... ;-)

Well, actually the guy I know would mainly like the step by step guide on removing this so he could make sure he can install v0.2 correctly. He said he is a complete noob, and the step by step guides that are written are very helpful. He also said he would be very thankful....

riggsmagic

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
OK if you already have voodoo installed V0.1 and want to update to V0.2 then here we go....

Get root explorer and navigate to the sdcard and go into voodoo. Once in voodoo hit menu> new folder. Label it " disable_lagfix " no quotes .
Exit out of root explorer.
Then power off the phone and turn it back on. It will automatically detect the lagfix disable and well you guess it, it will disable it.
Then once the phone boots up go back to your root explorer and delete the disable lagfix folder you just created. Now you can install the newer version of voodoo .02 flash it over cwm. Sit back and wait. Be patient thru the whole thing it will work.

-Deeter-

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
What if you started with v0.1?
Are you suggesting just staying here if all is working fine? I'm sorry to be such a bother...I mean that guy I know is sorry...

GetOnMahLevel

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Lol.. Too late for me.. I installed.01 and tried to install the recovery kernel and was getting the black screen.. All I had to do to "fix" it was restore my backup now I'm about to install .02 hopefully..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa