Stuck in Voodoo CWR

bdcannon035

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I recently got a fascinate and I've been playing with the Custom Roms and kernels.

I installed JT superclean from rom manager and then a voodoo kernal, also from rom manager. I tried going back to an older system back up, also backed up from rom manager. The restore hung up for a very long time so I battery pulled and tried it again. Unfortunately from that point on my phone will only boot into voodoo clockwork, not even pressing the volume keys. Press power and straight into voodo.

I've tried through the voodoo settings and disabling it. But to no avail, boots straight into voodoo cwr. It even says "Voodoo is actually: enabled, next boot: Diasabled."

I've seen on other threads about adding a text file to disable the lagfix. I currently have a text file titled "Disable lagfix" in the voodoo file still nothing.

If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I recently got a fascinate and I've been playing with the Custom Roms and kernels.

I installed JT superclean from rom manager and then a voodoo kernal, also from rom manager. I tried going back to an older system back up, also backed up from rom manager. The restore hung up for a very long time so I battery pulled and tried it again. Unfortunately from that point on my phone will only boot into voodoo clockwork, not even pressing the volume keys. Press power and straight into voodo.

I've tried through the voodoo settings and disabling it. But to no avail, boots straight into voodoo cwr. It even says "Voodoo is actually: enabled, next boot: Diasabled."

I've seen on other threads about adding a text file to disable the lagfix. I currently have a text file titled "Disable lagfix" in the voodoo file still nothing.

If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

we need to clear up a few things first. voodoo and cwm are 2 different things. cwm is a replacement recovery for your phone. its where you can back up and restore. and flash new roms and such. voodoo takes the place of a kernel. a kernel tells the os what to do with the hardware.

STAY AWAY FROM VOODOO. this is like the 800th time ive given this advice. do a search in the forum for voodoo. or look at all the threads SOTK or I have posted or responded to. its not that voodoo is crap. its just you (and me and almost everyone else) dont know enough to mess around with it. its REALLY hard to get rid of. do a search for voodoo uninstall file. run that. if all else flash back to stock. NOsquid gave you the link in the previous post. you will be unrooted and you will loose all your data but atleast you have a phone not a brick. then just start over WITHOUT voodoo. run stupid fast or something.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Sure man, sorry if you had to go back to stock and lose everything. Be sure to read the ins and outs of voodoo if you install it again.

bdcannon035

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
gunnermike53 thank you for the advice. Yeah I'm not too happy with voodoo. Do you have any more specific recommendations on a kernel for the fascinate?

bdcannon035

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Just an update. I'm running superclean now with stupidfast and everythings great. Just as a future reference to anybody reading this make sure you flash the dj05 modem when you switch.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
we need to clear up a few things first. voodoo and cwm are 2 different things. cwm is a replacement recovery for your phone. its where you can back up and restore. and flash new roms and such. voodoo takes the place of a kernel. a kernel tells the os what to do with the hardware.

There is actually a custom "red" CWM for voodoo. I'm assuming that's what the OP was talking about

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just an update. I'm running superclean now with stupidfast and everythings great. Just as a future reference to anybody reading this make sure you flash the dj05 modem when you switch.

you seem to have it down now. you installed exactly what i was gonna recomend. i like the super clean alot. im trying the build your own from black mod now. for now im gonna stick with stupid fast kernels. it seems to be running pretty well.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
STAY AWAY FROM VOODOO. this is like the 800th time ive given this advice

If you don't know what you are doing, then by all means stay away from Voodoo, but voodoo 5 is quite fantastic and easy to work with.

A few things to keep in mind.

Voodoo 5 installs clockwork in a somewhat different manner and so you end up with 2 clockwork recoveries on your phone. The normal green clockwork isn't really useful anymore, but it's still there.

The voodoo compatible clockwork recovery is red. It's where you can install new voodoo kernels, enable-disable voodoo, make voodoo compatible nandroid backups, etc.

A good practice is to forget anything you did in the green CWR once the red CWR is on your phone.

If you need to go back to anything that is non voodoo you should disable voodoo 5 via the RED CWR and then install a non-voodoo kernel from JT (which will remove the red cwr) Then you can go back to the stuff you used on the green CWR without issue.

Know the rules and play by them and you'll be fine. I've enabled and disabled voodoo 5 so many times I've lost count at this point.

That said, voodoo5 isn't magic (pun intended). It doesn't magically make your phone scream. It improves a very specific problem with the SGS file system that crops up under a specific circumstance (write heavy operations). It's not going to make your phone swipe left or right faster, it's not going to make it boot faster or even add a widget to your home screen faster, but it might make that RSS reader much more tolerable to use on a daily basis.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you don't know what you are doing, then by all means stay away from Voodoo, but voodoo 5 is quite fantastic and easy to work with.

A few things to keep in mind.

Voodoo 5 installs clockwork in a somewhat different manner and so you end up with 2 clockwork recoveries on your phone. The normal green clockwork isn't really useful anymore, but it's still there.

The voodoo compatible clockwork recovery is red. It's where you can install new voodoo kernels, enable-disable voodoo, make voodoo compatible nandroid backups, etc.

A good practice is to forget anything you did in the green CWR once the red CWR is on your phone.

If you need to go back to anything that is non voodoo you should disable voodoo 5 via the RED CWR and then install a non-voodoo kernel from JT (which will remove the red cwr) Then you can go back to the stuff you used on the green CWR without issue.

Know the rules and play by them and you'll be fine. I've enabled and disabled voodoo 5 so many times I've lost count at this point.

That said, voodoo5 isn't magic (pun intended). It doesn't magically make your phone scream. It improves a very specific problem with the SGS file system that crops up under a specific circumstance (write heavy operations). It's not going to make your phone swipe left or right faster, it's not going to make it boot faster or even add a widget to your home screen faster, but it might make that RSS reader much more tolerable to use on a daily basis.

appreciate the info. i dont think voodoo is crap, its just when i first started the root process i had not studied enough (like most people with thier first android). if i start doing something that voodoo may help with i wont shy away from giving it a try. what i will do is STUDY, STUDY, STUDY.

that being said i really do think most newbs need to figure out how to root and unroot and flash roms and radios and kernels, and get really good at all that, basiclly very comfortable with a rooted phone before they start messing around with voodoo. there will be some exceptions to that rule, but we wont see them on AC posting a thread like "HELP I BRICKED MY PHONE!!!" ;)

rd0311

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Need some help very badly. Think I have bricked my Fascinate. Was running the DI01 Odin Fix-All. Half way through the whole thing froze. Would do nothing and I got a symbol on my phone that looks like a phone with a yellow triangle in the center with a computer on the other side. Phone will not turn on but just give the error(I guess that is what it is). Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Update: Finally got it. Got it to go back into download mode and installed DI01 Odin Fix-All. Worked great thanks. Going to re root and stay away from Voodoo from hell.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacoxixon