Modified CWMrecovery for Odin (DJ05/DL09) Plus new root instructions (Updated 1/15)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Question (just cause I'm curious). If you're rooted and wanted a custom ROM such as adrynalyne's latest for DL09, could you just use stock (blue) recovery if you renamed the file update.zip and placed it in /sdcard? What's the benefit of flashing CWM (red or green) besides more options and ability to use other than base of sdcard?

To be honest i have never tried doing it straight from recovery, but off the top of my head i can think of a couple problems with it

if you have to rename the update.zip file every time it would probably be a pain to have multiple rom;s i would be annoyed having to rename files every other day to change the roms.
and
there is no nandroid backup available from native recovery

file management is pretty big one for me, as i flash new roms every other day and having nandroid backups is a life saver, being able to select roms and kernels and flash them without having to rename a file everytime....

not to mention the other options

Reactions: nigelengr

nigelengr

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate it. Have done the whole process successfully back on DJ05, as I've been learning more, it spurred a question. Thought about the multiple ROM issue, but didn't think about nandroid backups. The file management is a big benefit.
However, only running signed update.zip's puts the whole thing out of the question. Really appreciate the school session. Great stuff, as always from you guys.

bmccullo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This worked great! I flashed clockwork via Odin (had to bootcamp my mac to do so) after I received the DL09 OTA update and lost haptic feedback. Used Adrynalyne's method and everything is back in order and rooted. Nice!

fleetlin49

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just found out I have Recovery (2e) on my phone. I can't install the update.zip, it keeps failing. How do I install the update.zip with this?

nigelengr

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
ok...messed with this for a few hours. DJ05/DL09 CWMR refused to work on stock OTA DL09, rooted phone (2E error on the update.zip). Installed previous CWMR (version with D101 kernel) and all worked fine, booted right into green CWM. Now that all was well, performed nandroid backup, then flashed DL09 kernel from http://adrynalyne.us/files/kernels/DL09_stock.zip and issue returned. Tried to flash red CWM just to see and same error. Any clues? Will just reflash previous CWM for now, but then haptic is gone. Possibly some type of small difference between leaked DL09 and OTA??

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
ok...messed with this for a few hours. DJ05/DL09 CWMR refused to work on stock OTA DL09, rooted phone (2E error on the update.zip). Installed previous CWMR (version with D101 kernel) and all worked fine, booted right into green CWM. Now that all was well, performed nandroid backup, then flashed DL09 kernel from http://adrynalyne.us/files/kernels/DL09_stock.zip and issue returned. Tried to flash red CWM just to see and same error. Any clues? Will just reflash previous CWM for now, but then haptic is gone. Possibly some type of small difference between leaked DL09 and OTA??

why dont you just try one of geekniks stupid fast kernels?

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

Red cwm does not use update.zip. Ever.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Yes and no. I added Red Clockwork Odin to the bottom of the first post. It does not need, or use update.zip, and it fully supports RFS, and EXT4. Its not been heavily tested in an environment outside of voodoo though.

Should be fine though and may be a better solution than Green cwm.

wanderer82680

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So I have bee working on this off and on all day long. One thing I have noticed is that the original CWM recovery flashes both the kernel and recovery in Odin. The updated CWM and the red CWM posted in this thread only flash the recovery. When you flash the DL09 kernel to fix the bluetooth and haptic feedback it breaks the update.zip and will not boot into CWM recovery. I also just tried loading the red CWM and it still rebooted to the green one ... I really have no idea what I need to do to fix this. I am wondering if this and the whole Verizon media loading thing messing up the sd card mount are connected some how.

I am going to try this with a stupidfast kernel ... hopefully that will fix this whole mess.

At least I have learned how to fully restore my phone via Odin from all of this. Coming from Blackberry I have been nervous about really messing with android. I bricked the first Fascinate I had on the very first day I got it trying the lag fix stuff. Now I am pretty confident that I can restore my phone from just about anything.

EDIT: Flashed the geetnik stupid fast kernel 1.54 (Stable DJ05 & DL09) and CWM recovery works, and bluetooth and haptic feedback appear to be working fine!!

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I guess I don't understand where the problem lies. Is there a miscommunication?

Allow me to explain a little. Our phone is divided into a bunch of partitions. Two of these partitions in question, /dev/block/bml7, and /dev/block/bml8, contain our kernel, and our recovery, respectively.

Now, Odin files work as follows. They go by, not by package name, but internal image name. In this case, zImage is our kernel, and it will ALWAYS flash to bml7, as directed by Odin. There are ways around this, but this is how Odin does it.

Another image, named recovery.bin, contains another kernel, usually a copy, that also contains recovery. By default, its recovery (2e). All recovery images are run off of separate kernels from the main OS, regardless of phone.

The problem with the original cwmrecovery.tar is that it contained a recovery.bin (great), AND a zImage(not so great). I do not know why the kernel was put in there, as it pre-dates any kernel source and as such is a pretty stock kernel.

This kernel is NOT compatible with anything higher than DI01, due to initramfs (script files, etc, that make up the ramdisk).

By removing this zImage, only /dev/block/bml8 flashes, and we dont really care if we have haptic feedback in recovery, right? :D

As for red clockwork--this is a modification by jt1134 and supercurio, the voodoo maestro. It is meant to be used with voodoo, but supports it, and the stock filesystem. It is also fixed! Green clockwork was left in a poor state after Koush built it, and he has shown no interest in finishing it up. Now there are extra options in red clockwork that will not work unless you have voodoo, etc, but those are in the voodoo and advanced menus, and should not matter.

Now, how I went about making this is on the same principle as before--Odin flashes to a location according to image name. So, I renamed zImage from voodoo5, a version I compiled last month, and renamed it recovery.bin. Red clockwork is contained in the kernel. Then it flashes like always and works, but does not convert to voodoo because the main kernel partition, bml7, has not been flashed. So the voodoo portions remain dormant.

Thats all there is to this. No black magic, no major hacking.

Now, I am going to walk folks through how I did this, testing on my phone (in real time as I type this). Ive also had folks testing in irc with great success. Some do get the update.zip problem, some do not. I dont know the cause of that. Red clockwork does not use update.zip, and rom manager cannot boot to it. You need something like quick boot or do it manually with the 3 button method.

To test
----------

Flashed DL09 Odin back to stock, including recovery.
Booted up, skipped through the setup menu.
I enabled usb debugging, because I am a heavy adb user.
I rebooted to download mode so I could Odin again.
I restarted my odin app. You should NOT use the same instance over and over.
I loaded my cwm package. First, I tried green.
The phone rebooted.
I rebooted to recovery to verify it works (I have update.zip on my sd card)
I have blue recovery (2e). I hitapply sd card: update.zip.
I am in GREEN clockwork. I can stop here, but I like red clockwork better, as it, well, works better.
So I decided to switch to red. You do NOT have to flash green first.
I booted back up.
Then I rebooted to download mode.
I reloaded Odin.
I loaded up my red package, once again in the pda section.
I flashed it.
My phone rebooted, and I then rebooted via adb to test clockwork.
I have RED clockwork.
Now from here I could have rooted myself, but being that I have a nandroid, I loaded up my voodoo kernel, let it convert, then booted back to red cwm and nandroided back.

Ive tested this over and over. I wish I knew where things were going wrong. I've had folks test overand over in IRC too. I am not trying to make this hard on folks, I am trying to make it easier. Notice, I never ocne touched the currently installed kernel until after the fact.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess I don't understand where the problem lies. Is there a miscommunication?

Allow me to explain a little. Our phone is divided into a bunch of partitions. Two of these partitions in question, /dev/block/bml7, and /dev/block/bml8, contain our kernel, and our recovery, respectively.

Now, Odin files work as follows. They go by, not by package name, but internal image name. In this case, zImage is our kernel, and it will ALWAYS flash to bml7, as directed by Odin. There are ways around this, but this is how Odin does it.

Another image, named recovery.bin, contains another kernel, usually a copy, that also contains recovery. By default, its recovery (2e). All recovery images are run off of separate kernels from the main OS, regardless of phone.

The problem with the original cwmrecovery.tar is that it contained a recovery.bin (great), AND a zImage(not so great). I do not know why the kernel was put in there, as it pre-dates any kernel source and as such is a pretty stock kernel.

This kernel is NOT compatible with anything higher than DI01, due to initramfs (script files, etc, that make up the ramdisk).

By removing this zImage, only /dev/block/bml8 flashes, and we dont really care if we have haptic feedback in recovery, right? :D

As for red clockwork--this is a modification by jt1134 and supercurio, the voodoo maestro. It is meant to be used with voodoo, but supports it, and the stock filesystem. It is also fixed! Green clockwork was left in a poor state after Koush built it, and he has shown no interest in finishing it up. Now there are extra options in red clockwork that will not work unless you have voodoo, etc, but those are in the voodoo and advanced menus, and should not matter.

Now, how I went about making this is on the same principle as before--Odin flashes to a location according to image name. So, I renamed zImage from voodoo5, a version I compiled last month, and renamed it recovery.bin. Red clockwork is contained in the kernel. Then it flashes like always and works, but does not convert to voodoo because the main kernel partition, bml7, has not been flashed. So the voodoo portions remain dormant.

Thats all there is to this. No black magic, no major hacking.

Now, I am going to walk folks through how I did this, testing on my phone (in real time as I type this). Ive also had folks testing in irc with great success. Some do get the update.zip problem, some do not. I dont know the cause of that. Red clockwork does not use update.zip, and rom manager cannot boot to it. You need something like quick boot or do it manually with the 3 button method.

To test
----------

Flashed DL09 Odin back to stock, including recovery.
Booted up, skipped through the setup menu.
I enabled usb debugging, because I am a heavy adb user.
I rebooted to download mode so I could Odin again.
I restarted my odin app. You should NOT use the same instance over and over.
I loaded my cwm package. First, I tried green.
The phone rebooted.
I rebooted to recovery to verify it works (I have update.zip on my sd card)
I have blue recovery (2e). I hitapply sd card: update.zip.
I am in GREEN clockwork. I can stop here, but I like red clockwork better, as it, well, works better.
So I decided to switch to red. You do NOT have to flash green first.
I booted back up.
Then I rebooted to download mode.
I reloaded Odin.
I loaded up my red package, once again in the pda section.
I flashed it.
My phone rebooted, and I then rebooted via adb to test clockwork.
I have RED clockwork.
Now from here I could have rooted myself, but being that I have a nandroid, I loaded up my voodoo kernel, let it convert, then booted back to red cwm and nandroided back.

Ive tested this over and over. I wish I knew where things were going wrong. I've had folks test overand over in IRC too. I am not trying to make this hard on folks, I am trying to make it easier. Notice, I never ocne touched the currently installed kernel until after the fact.

Thanks for that explanation, its a little greek, but ill get into it....ill try that test process tonight if i ever get out of work.

thanks as always

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I tried to de-greekify it was much as possible, but some just isn't possible without the meaning getting lost in translation ;)

wanderer82680

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried to de-greekify it was much as possible, but some just isn't possible without the meaning getting lost in translation ;)

I understand what your previous post said. It makes sense to me.

What I am seeing is when I flash the stock DL09 kernel I lose clockwork mod (red or green) and can not boot into CWM. When I used the geetnik stupidfast kernel I was able to boot into both the red and the green CWM recovery. I did not know that rom manager did not support the red CWM, so it not working with it makes sense to me know also.

I guess I will just have to run the stupidfast kernel, it's not like I can not odin complete back to stock if I need to use an official update again.

Thanks for all your help.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I understand what your previous post said. It makes sense to me.

What I am seeing is when I flash the stock DL09 kernel I lose clockwork mod (red or green) and can not boot into CWM. When I used the geetnik stupidfast kernel I was able to boot into both the red and the green CWM recovery. I did not know that rom manager did not support the red CWM, so it not working with it makes sense to me know also.

I guess I will just have to run the stupidfast kernel, it's not like I can not odin complete back to stock if I need to use an official update again.

Thanks for all your help.

Was that the stock kernel I provided?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty