"Jerky" scrolling with Froyo

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm having an annoying problem with my Fascinate, and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. When my phone was stock, scrolling through most any screen was extremely smooth. It was something you'd want to show off about the phone, how "real" the scolling felt. But, since upgrading to any of the Froyo leak builds, that seems to have changed.

When scrolling vertically, be it the web browser, contacts, music player, Facebook app, etc., there is this "jerky" feel to the scrolling. Flick your finger across the screen and as it scrolls, you can see this quick pause every 1/4 second or so. I don't have many apps installed at this point, and I've removed most of the widgets from my home screens, so I'm not sure what's causing this. Aside from the scrolling, the phone doesn't seem like the processor is labored.

Today, I'm running EB01 stock. Flashed via new Clockwork red, data'd and cache'd. I've had this same experience with DL30, and the de-bloated EB01. Let me know if I should list my installed apps.

markhunsaker

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I had that problem when i went from Verizon's official 2.1 build to EB01 stock. I ref lashed DI01 and did the OTA back to EA28 (or whatever is currently official. Than flashed the new Super Clean and it is lightning fast!

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'll go with that. I'm going to post my progress here.

I used Odin to flash back to DI01. Started phone up just long enough to try the browser, and the smooth, slippery scrolling is back. Aahhhh, that's what I like. :p

Next, I'm going to flash to EB01.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I did the OTA update to EA28 (?), then flashed back to EB01 using Odin. Pretty much the same situation as before, the scrolling is just not as smooth as it was pre-Froyo. Maybe I'm being too critical here, its not like its unusable, but it definitely was better before.

I wonder if this is a power saving thing? Did they tweak a GUI setting in this ROM? Who knows.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I did the OTA update to EA28 (?), then flashed back to EB01 using Odin. Pretty much the same situation as before, the scrolling is just not as smooth as it was pre-Froyo. Maybe I'm being too critical here, its not like its unusable, but it definitely was better before.

I wonder if this is a power saving thing? Did they tweak a GUI setting in this ROM? Who knows.

try superclean rom

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Was this right after flashing, or after you installed all your apps? If it was after you installed your apps please list them.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Was this right after flashing, or after you installed all your apps? If it was after you installed your apps please list them.

I thought this was with no apps installed, but it looks like the Google backup reinstalled all my apps automatically. I didn't install anything but they are all there.

Here's whats listed:
Street View on Google
Google Voice
Superuser
My Verizon
Facebook for Android
Google Maps
Flash Player 10.1
Fancy Widget Pro
Twitter
Bing on VZW
Speedtest.net Speed test
Shortyz Crosswords

I didn't know that the Google backup would reinstall apps, but it must have. I did a factory reset before I went back to DI01; they were gone.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Nothing on that list stands out as being problematic :/ I can't say I have noticed any lag in performance what's so ever.

And yeah that restore apps thing is a feature in Froyo. It's in settings > privacy.

Actually, try uninstalling Fancy Widget and see if that makes any difference.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
maybe do a flash back to DI01 and start over Download HERE

I actually did flash back to DI01 first, then let the OTA update run (EA28 or whatever), then flashed to EB01 using this procedure: http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-11-a.html

Cory - I uninstalled the Fancy Widget and it didn't help. Thank you for the suggestion though.

This is a strange one, especially since we are all on the same, standardized hardware. Very possible i'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out where.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I also noticed EB01 is slightly slower / less responsive than DL30. Not a deal killer but noticeable.

Here's what I've noticed;

- Scrolling is slightly jerky.
- Transistions have a slight lag.
- GPS is slower to lock. I get a lock in less than 60 seconds but DL30 locked on instantly.
- Searching my contacts seems a little buggy.

I'm going to keep playing with EB01 for a few days, but I think it's a step backwards from DL30.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to post a video of me scrolling in various screens, including contacts and web in EB30. When I do, please let me know if it matches your experience.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to post a video of me scrolling in various screens, including contacts and web in EB30. When I do, please let me know if it matches your experience.

That would be great -- that will help us baseline this and make sure we're just not expecting too much.

My assessment of this as a sw/hw guy is that we're getting a low frame rate in the actual GUI rendering. Feels like the system is switching back to software rendering, or the GPU is pegged on other tasks for some reason. I don't know if there are any process monitoring tools out there for this OS yet, but that might help once we establish that its a real problem.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here are some things I failed to mention in the video.

Do NOT:

Use 3rd party task managers, app freezers, battery performance apps, or anything that affects any applications; regardless of your interpretation of whether it is bloatware or not.

Things to try:

• Use the procedure I suggested in this the video here to upgrade.
  • Do not install Voodoo lag fix. If you did, please remove it.
  • After you flashed DL09, let the phone boot to the TouchWiz Screen before flashing further. After you flash DL30, and the radio, enter the following after you boot into the home screen and are prompted to activate phone: hit the emergency button, dial *#83786633, then hit the Home button. Go into settings > privacy and uncheck the backup/restore checkboxes. (they may not be available - I don't know). Then activate phone and configure your Google account. Then test for smoothness.
  • Do not configure Backup Assistant if prompted. Press the Skip button. Also, do not configure WiFi yet.

You should not:

Have to use Superclean to get good performance in terms of scrolling.

Reactions: bluevolume

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you friend, I appreciate you taking the time to put that video together. Its hard to tell if the "jerkyness" is happening on your phone with the compression that YouTube does; so its more so just listening to your impression of it. I might be able to take a 60fps video of what my phone is doing and post it uncompressed on my website if RoadRunner doesn't freak out.

I'm going to go through and re-flash everything using the method you described. If it doesn't fix it, I certainly can live with it for now. Maybe now that we have a dialog going on this more people will chime in with their experiences.

If I make it out your way any time soon I'll have to buy you a lager, or an SBC, whatever you're into. :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thank you friend, I appreciate you taking the time to put that video together. Its hard to tell if the "jerkyness" is happening on your phone with the compression that YouTube does; so its more so just listening to your impression of it. I might be able to take a 60fps video of what my phone is doing and post it uncompressed on my website if RoadRunner doesn't freak out.

I'm going to go through and re-flash everything using the method you described. If it doesn't fix it, I certainly can live with it for now. Maybe now that we have a dialog going on this more people will chime in with their experiences.

If I make it out your way any time soon I'll have to buy you a lager, or an SBC, whatever you're into. :)

I would flash DI01, then reflash Superclean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty