my contacts app disappeared

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had SC2.9.1 on my phone for about a day or 2 with TransHoneyComb Blue theme V10 from XDA and I noticed last night that my contacts app disappeared. At first I didn't really care because I never go in there for anything but when I go into the phone, and click contacts up top I got an error message and a force close of android core. Same thing with clicking contacts in the default SMS app.

For now I went back to SC 2.8 but I would really like to know if there was a fix for that issue.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I had SC2.9.1 on my phone for about a day or 2 with TransHoneyComb Blue theme V10 from XDA and I noticed last night that my contacts app disappeared. At first I didn't really care because I never go in there for anything but when I go into the phone, and click contacts up top I got an error message and a force close of android core. Same thing with clicking contacts in the default SMS app.

For now I went back to SC 2.8 but I would really like to know if there was a fix for that issue.

did you have the issue without the theme?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
did you have the issue without the theme?

Not that I recall, but then again I have been running 2.9.1 pretty much with the theme. The one thing that I did have issues w/ on 2.9.1 with or without a theme was the it randomly rebooted when I was using ASOP or Rotary lock (I know that is a common thing accord to post). Also, I use GO SMS for texts but when using that it would randomly loose all of my settings, did not have that issue at all on 2.8.

I really don't want to go back to stock, I love having the clean phone like this, first time I rooted and installed custom roms. If I can get Rotary lock to work without crashing on 2.9.1 I would probably flash back to 2.9 w/ ODIN tonight and install the patch again with no theme.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not that I recall, but then again I have been running 2.9.1 pretty much with the theme. The one thing that I did have issues w/ on 2.9.1 with or without a theme was the it randomly rebooted when I was using ASOP or Rotary lock (I know that is a common thing accord to post). Also, I use GO SMS for texts but when using that it would randomly loose all of my settings, did not have that issue at all on 2.8.

I really don't want to go back to stock, I love having the clean phone like this, first time I rooted and installed custom roms. If I can get Rotary lock to work without crashing on 2.9.1 I would probably flash back to 2.9 w/ ODIN tonight and install the patch again with no theme.

well. heck. just start over. back up your apps you dont wanna loose data for with tb. boot to cwm. data and cache wipe. then go to mounts and storage. fromat everything except stuff that says sd. that will be, boot. data, db data system, and something else i think. andy just dont format your sd card. then go back and wipe data and cache again, the wipe again. and one more time for good measure. then wipe dalvic cache a couple of times. then reflash super clean 2.9 and then the 2.9.1 patch. reboot your phone and set it up before you flahs a theme.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
well. heck. just start over. back up your apps you dont wanna loose data for with tb. boot to cwm. data and cache wipe. then go to mounts and storage. fromat everything except stuff that says sd. that will be, boot. data, db data system, and something else i think. andy just dont format your sd card. then go back and wipe data and cache again, the wipe again. and one more time for good measure. then wipe dalvic cache a couple of times. then reflash super clean 2.9 and then the 2.9.1 patch. reboot your phone and set it up before you flahs a theme.

Thanks I will probably do all of that this weekend once I have some time to sit down and actually have time to do all of it. Just out of curiosity, would just a clean flash with ODIN back to 2.9 work instead of using CWM to format?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I will probably do all of that this weekend once I have some time to sit down and actually have time to do all of it. Just out of curiosity, would just a clean flash with ODIN back to 2.9 work instead of using CWM to format?

maybe. if you find that easier, you may try that first. i have found that after hundreds of flashes a deeper format and wipe is needed from time to time. but if you can get it to work with an odin flash, then by all means try that.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
maybe. if you find that easier, you may try that first. i have found that after hundreds of flashes a deeper format and wipe is needed from time to time. but if you can get it to work with an odin flash, then by all means try that.

I was just curious I don't have a problem going into CWM to do it, just I would consider myself a "noob" because I have had 4 Droid phones and this is the only one that I have done anything too. Im going through eveything on these forums and all of the posts have been extremely helpful.

I already had 2 force close loops and 1 time where it was stuck on the boot screen and without reading on how to get back to normal I would have been going crazy.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was just curious I don't have a problem going into CWM to do it, just I would consider myself a "noob" because I have had 4 Droid phones and this is the only one that I have done anything too. Im going through eveything on these forums and all of the posts have been extremely helpful.

I already had 2 force close loops and 1 time where it was stuck on the boot screen and without reading on how to get back to normal I would have been going crazy.

well theres your problem, you only have 4 phones. lol. you and melissiaroja, i swear, one phone for every day of the week.:p

i would say, start with the thing that is easiest for you to do. if no workie then move on to the next.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
well theres your problem, you only have 4 phones. lol. you and melissiaroja, i swear, one phone for every day of the week.:p

i would say, start with the thing that is easiest for you to do. if no workie then move on to the next.

Well I started w/ the OG Droid which then I actually sold for more than I bought it for and moved on to the Incredible. Had that for a couple months and I missed my Blackberry so I went back to one of those and eventually gave in and bought a Droid X, and of course I bought the Droid X and week later the Fascinate came out lol. Went and bought that one and gave my DX to a friend for half the price I paid for Fascinate... I really love this phone and I am waiting for 4G to come to my area before I consider upgrading to a 4G Droid.

Anyway, I have been reading, reading, and reading more and I have been trying the noob stuff and slowly progressing through what I want to try.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's was probably a themed version of the contacts.apk that didn't flash properly. Either go into your theme's or SC zip and extract contacts.apk from /system/app and copy to your sd card and move with root explorer or adb push it.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay I am in the process of fixing this now. I went into CWM, wiped cache, formated data, dbdata, system, and boot, then wiped cache 3-4 times, then wiped devlick cache 3-4 times. Powered the phone off and plugged it into the computer to Flash 2.9 with ODIN then going to patch with 2.9.1. Not going to install any themes this time to see if that was the problem.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay so everything installed properly and seems to be working fine. SC 2.9.1 up and running and I installed everything back and restored with TB. Hopefully no problems. Only issue that I am experiencing is Facebook syncing but that has been a problem no matter what ROM/Theme I am running.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site

This sounds like the exact problem that I have had from time to time as a result of multiple theme flashes and issues with permissions not being fixed properly. I had to restore a back up of the base ROM to get my contacts back... many flashes later need to do a 'deep clean' and reinstall...

I completely agree with gunnermike53 a 'deep clean' almost a necessity when you have flashed themes, ROMs and possibly restored backups..

Edit: Posted at the same time you were cleaning out your phone.. Hope things turn out well.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like the exact problem that I have had from time to time as a result of multiple theme flashes and issues with permissions not being fixed properly. I had to restore a back up of the base ROM to get my contacts back... many flashes later need to do a 'deep clean' and reinstall...

I completely agree with gunnermike53 a 'deep clean' almost a necessity when you have flashed themes, ROMs and possibly restored backups..

Edit: Posted at the same time you were cleaning out your phone.. Hope things turn out well.

Been using it all last night and this morning with no problems what so ever. Again the FaceBook contact sync doesn't work right but I really don't care about that.

All in all, SC 2.9.1 actually turned out much better this time around and I noticed that my battery life has improved after I have done a deep clean as well as slightly faster.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the 'deep clean' instructions could be a topic or appended to a another how-to topic. Its really useful information.

Gunner told me about formatting the partitions and I added that info to the notes I keep about modding.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the 'deep clean' instructions could be a topic or appended to a another how-to topic. Its really useful information.

Gunner told me about formatting the partitions and I added that info to the notes I keep about modding.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

A bunch of us were in a chat room talking about a project we are all working on for the forum and DroidXcon explained what the deep clean does, and Gunner is going to recommend that from now on instead of what he recommended before because the deep clean does everything Gunner was telling people to do and more. At least from what I remember.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89