Cell standby battery usage

codeman0624

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I check my battery usage in the settings menu, cell standby is always second on the list behind the display usage. And it always says that my time without signal is greater than 50%. I always figured it was just a bad signal at work. But yesterday at my apartment I rebooted my phone and decided to check the signal status, and it as soon as it started up, it was saying that the time without signal was 50%! When it had only been on for about 3 minutes.

What does this mean? I live very close to Boston, so I know the signal strength is good. I'm on SC 2.9.1, and I tried reflashing the EB01 modem but still got the same result. Does anyone else see this?

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I check my battery usage in the settings menu, cell standby is always second on the list behind the display usage. And it always says that my time without signal is greater than 50%. I always figured it was just a bad signal at work. But yesterday at my apartment I rebooted my phone and decided to check the signal status, and it as soon as it started up, it was saying that the time without signal was 50%! When it had only been on for about 3 minutes.

What does this mean? I live very close to Boston, so I know the signal strength is good. I'm on SC 2.9.1, and I tried reflashing the EB01 modem but still got the same result. Does anyone else see this?

Haha, I used to be in the same boat. It's like I was fighting a war against cell standby.

Cell standby is just the time your cell radio in your phone is searching for a signal..

I personally wouldn't get to worked up about this issue. I think, and am pretty sure that it's not always accurate at reporting.

I am currently working on battery testing (http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver.../71259-volenteers-needed-battery-testing.html), and have taken a good look at cell standby in regards to battery life. I have some encouraging evidence.

I will post my findings in the next couple days. My advice: Don't get too worked up about those #'s like I used to.

I also encourage you to toggle airplane mode on then off, when you arrive at a new location that you will be at for a while.. i.e. work vs home.

This will disable all data, and phone signals, and re-enable them when you turn off ap mode. When you disable ap mode, your cell radio will re-acclamate to the cell towers around you, and it may help with cell standby reporting.

:)

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
right now battery on froyo roms blows goats. thats all there is to it. but fear not we have source now. mid to late next week we will start seeing new stuff come out that is built from source and thats when the fun starts.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
right now battery on froyo roms blows goats. thats all there is to it. but fear not we have source now. mid to late next week we will start seeing new stuff come out that is built from source and thats when the fun starts.

I wonder if they could write the new source code to do my dang taxes.. ugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress