DroidXcon help and ODIN packages

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, just wanted to throw a little perspective on the donate to DroidXcon thread that is now closed and share some info on future ODIN packages. A better way to think of those donations would be let's help DroidXcon help us.

Because that is really what we are all donating to. A fund to get DXC a fascinate so he can continue helping the Fascinate community to the best of his ability. So we are really all pitching in for our own benefit. He needs a Fascinate to make his packages and troubleshoot the more complex problems. I was first hand witness to the DroidXcon phone bricking incident. He was not experimenting, or trying something just for the sake of trying it. He was doing what he spends countless hours here in the forums. He and I were trying to help someone who quite frankly (Sorry DXC and Kevin for name calling here but it is germane to the story) was a complete and utter idiot. DXC and I were asking him questions about what ROM, kernel, modem, etc., he was running, how he got there. All the questions we needed answers to in order to help him. He had not one clue. Didn't know what build and baseband he had, what ROM, how he got there. He literally said "I used that one package from over there" Well there are a lot of packages. The guy tried to take a guess as to what he did before his phone froze up. So DXC wanting to help as much as he could, so he started to recreate the guys steps as he was describing them to us. DXC was at work while doing this as he so often does, was flashing in ODIN, and had his Fascinate on his desk. He turned, and his chair knocked his phone off the desk and if crashed on the ground right at the point when the bootloader was installing. There you have your hard brick. Phone was completely dead and useless.

So please do not think of this as charity. I don't think DXC would want everyone to think of it that way either. I'm sure he struggles, as many people in this current economy, to make ends meet at times. He is not looking for a handout, and has never asked anyone to donate money so he could get a new Fascinate. He is just doing his best to scrape money from here and there to get enough of a fund together to eventually get one. Once again, we will be the real beneficiaries of him getting another Fascinate. I have joked with him a few times that I would just buy him a Fascinate and ship it to him, but I will definitely contribute to the Fascinate fund now in the best interest of these Fascinate forums.

Now onto brighter and cheerier thoughts. Last night before this thread was posted, I told DXC I wanted to learn from him how to make the ODIN packages so we could get some rolled out with the release of ED01. I have been trying to learn as much as I can from him so I can contribute more here at the AC Fascinate Forums and take some of the load off DXC. I see now the basic tools needed and I have all except the Linux emulator (I'm assuming that is different from the terminal emulator app.) I figure it may still take some time for DXC to get a Fascinate so I will start tonight on my continuing education and hope to make fast progress. I am an extremely fast learner, so hopefully I will have a short learning curve. But please everyone show a little more patience than usual as I will be learning something completely new. I don't want to guess yet at any kind of a timetable until I actually start learning this and see what is involved. Until then, help each other around the forums and share information with each other about anything new you may have discovered in the ED01 release.

Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding, and I hope to have some good news for all those waiting for ODIN packages. If I catch on everyone will benefit from two people able to put out and troubleshoot ODIN packages.

Sharkster

EDIT - Since the previous thread mentioned in this OP is closed I wanted to note that DXC said in that thread he has received enough donations to get a used Fascinate, so this great community has responded and achieved the desired goal. Any future donations should be just like they always were before - based on your own personal decision as a way to thank DXC for all the countless and tireless hours he puts in. Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a fascinate but my g/f does. I use your odin packages for everything on her phone; it is really convenient compared to other processes listed for the fascinate. Thank you for yours and Droidxcon's work.

Braydon525

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well said Landshark.

I hope he can get one soon. Droids been my go to guy during the whole creation of the Mac tools. Couldn't have done it without him!

Reactions: Landshark

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Sharky,
Im glad you r going to learn how to do this, I for one as you know love odin! Thanks for taking the time and learning!!! Good luck!! Look forward to seeing some awesome things from you two in the near future!

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. and Awesome..Encore...

It was good that you explained that DroidX lost his phone from helping someone...some Thunderbolt (see gunnermike's thread) users lose focus of that sometime..

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. and Awesome..Encore...

It was good that you explained that DroidX lost his phone from helping someone...some Thunderbolt (see gunnermike's thread) users lose focus of that sometime..

I read the entire thread. The OP in this thread was originally going to be a post in that thread, but it got closed. I did not include the beginning of that post in this thread. Had I included it, you would have seen that I actually defended Chrisy about the title of gunner's thread. I started reading the thread as I was driving home and when I first saw the title of the thread, I thought DXC was in the hospital or something. Nobody else really knew the full story of the brick unless DXC told them because it wasn't really worth plastering all over the place. Regardless of how it happened, his phone was still hard bricked. Mind you the idiot who we were helping never said a word after the bricking and he realized he was completely mistaken about all the info he was giving us, and it turned out to be an easy fix. He never said anything like, "Sorry I caused so much trouble and your phone got bricked." "Sorry, I feel horrible" Nothing, and he's never posted here again that I know of. Chrisy had no way of knowing the back story on the brick, like everyone else. On the surface the thread just appeared to be a plea to raise money to get DXC a Fascinate just for the sake of getting him a Fascinate.

Even DXC defended Chrisy in that thread, so it's best to let it go. Let's just focus on the positive possibilities going forward. Hopefully I pick this up and I can continue learning more to better help everyone in the forums.

Thanks.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
She came off a little harsh, imo. But it's cool. Droid knows her so it's a little less of a shot at him..its well over with..

I think the dude not apologizing should be blacklisted from the forums for failure to comply to ethical standards, personal opinion, and I think letting everyone know about how Droid X ended up with a hard brick, one shows his selflessness to help others, and two lets people know how to hard brick there phone...once again well done, LS.

You won't need luck learning that stuff my man..you'll have a package out in a week, I bet.. let me know if I can help you all out in anyway..

Last edited:
Reactions: Landshark

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
She came off a little harsh, imo. But it's cool. Droid knows her so it's a little less of a shot at him..its well over with..

I think the dude not apologizing should be blacklisted from the forums for failure to comply to ethical standards, personal opinion, and I think letting everyone know about how Droid X ended up with a hard brick, one shows his selflessness to help others, and two lets people know how to hard brick there phone...once again well done, LS.

Good luck learning that stuff my man..let me know if I can help you all out in anyway..

Thanks. I think we are all about forgive and forget here at AC so we are all good now. But I'd like to drop that guy's phone off a tall building. You know just for experimental and educational purposes for the betterment of the Fascinate forums :p

And you're right, the bricking story just emphasized DXC's selflessness. Funny how with all the crazy flashing gunnermike53 does with his phone, DXC is the one who ends up hard bricking his phone just from trying to help someone.

I'm back to reading until my eyes are popping out of my head. This time is is the beginning steps of learning the technical aspects of our phones. I think all the reading I did before rooting, and all the reading I continue to do is helping because I don't feel as lost as I thought I would be and some of this already makes some sense.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I think we are all about forgive and forget here at AC so we are all good now. But I'd like to drop that guy's phone off a tall building. You know just for experimental and educational purposes for the betterment of the Fascinate forums :p

I could donate use of my office building roof (for "experimental and educational purposes") if needed :D

Edit: 30+ floors :p

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

And you're right, the bricking story just emphasized DXC's selflessness. Funny how with all the crazy flashing gunnermike53 does with his phone, DXC is the one who ends up hard bricking his phone just from trying to help someone.

I'm back to reading until my eyes are popping out of my head. This time is is the beginning steps of learning the technical aspects of our phones. I think all the reading I did before rooting, and all the reading I continue to do is helping because I don't feel as lost as I thought I would be and some of this already makes some sense.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Yeah, I thought I would try to edit some things with a theme I was using and Jae gave me some links to some Adry post listing how to do what he does..It took me about an hour and my brains were on the floor.. (figuratively of course).. WAY over my head..

TCStehle

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
They say everything happens for a reason and the hard brick should be a wakeup call for all us non-devs to show our appreciation for the countless hours DXC and all the other devs spend making our life's easier. I sent $10 DXC's way not necessarily for a new Fascinate but for whatever he chooses to use it on. A token of my appreciation for the Odin packages and the numerous questions he's answered on my behalf. Jumping off the soapbox now. :)

Mellen_hed

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sent a little DroidXcon's way. Hopefully it helps, as his ODIN's and how-to's got me up and running on the whole flashing scene. Definitely nice to be able to show some appreciation :)

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Copied from the previous thread:

WARNING:
As of now i have enough to get a used one and thats all i can ask for thank you everone hopefully ill be able to get everyone some new packages as soon as i recieve the phone. And hopefully experiment more with making a new oneclick root for those who do not want to use clockwork (which i highly recommend) Thank you all so much

The get DXC a replacement Fascinate goal has been achieved. The telethon has been a great success. I would like to thank everyone for their generosity and especially all the volunteer hours donated. We'll see you back here again next year :p:D

EDIT - Just like I posted in the OP. Please don't take this post to mean you should not donate to DroidXcon if you want to of your own free choice based on how much work he does and continues to do. Whether or not you do is strictly of your own choosing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackmei2

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Copied from the previous thread:

WARNING:
As of now i have enough to get a used one and thats all i can ask for thank you everone hopefully ill be able to get everyone some new packages as soon as i recieve the phone. And hopefully experiment more with making a new oneclick root for those who do not want to use clockwork (which i highly recommend) Thank you all so much

The get DXC a replacement Fascinate goal has been achieved. The telethon has been a great success. I would like to thank everyone for their generosity and especially all the volunteer hours donated. We'll see you back here again next year :p:D

Next year I expect Jerry Lewis... :p

I for one am looking forward to an ODIN package, as I have too many ghosts of old ROMs hiding in my system. Good on you for learning this Shark!

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope DroidX takes my donation, takes a break, and gets wild on the town. Maybe he, Landshark, and GunnerMike can all go out and show off the awsome Fascinates that they helped develop. :)

"Hey baby, wanna see my Fascinate?"

Suicide Shift

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Well then I want my donation back!

Just kidding. I think many are aware the goal was hit but still choose to send a thank you donation for all the time, effort, and hard work put in.

Help your family out, do something you have been wanting to do but couldn't, or save it. Whatever you choose I am sure all here are glad to have been able to say thanks.

Look forward to seeing you back on the forums posting 24/7.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Shoot, missed the time to help him get a new phone... Still going to send him some money, as I would still be sitting with a stock phone without his ODIN packages!

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
That's so awesome that droidXcon is able to get a new Fascinate. Awesome! No wonder I love the Fascinate community. And here I was thinking I wanted to get a Thunderbolt.
:p

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE- Just though I would update everyone. Spent a few hours working with DXC last night, have all the tools, and know how to make the ODIN packages. I'm sure right now I could make a duplicate of any of his current packages. Only problem now is I can't get the ED01 Debloated/Deodexed package to reboot during testing. It currently gets stuck at the Samsung logo. No FCBLOH (Force Close Boot Loop of Hell), no force closes at all, it just sits there at the Samsung logo and won't boot any further. DXC and I kind of feel it has something to do with the recovery, but after a good night's sleep I am back at it to figure out what is wrong. I will either update as to further failure, or hopefully be able to put out wipe and no wipe packages at some point in the near future. Don't know if that means a few days or what, but I am getting closer.

Thanks for everyone's patience,
Shark