Rooting cross-compatible with T-Mobile?

adamklo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I have the Fascinate through vzw. My girlfriend has the same phone through T-Mobile. She's interested in rooting and making some minor changes. Would I be able to do anything using the VZW processes, or does it have to be specific to the T-Mobile way?

I don't think she's looking for updated radios, since she has the 4G anyway, but probably some battery hacks and things.

netlagger

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Rooting is specific to the phone and the software on it. Does she have the Fascinate i500 or is it one that looks like it?

Either way if it is the i500 then you should be able to follow the instructions Instructions

It will guide you step by step.

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
So, I have the Fascinate through vzw. My girlfriend has the same phone through T-Mobile. She's interested in rooting and making some minor changes. Would I be able to do anything using the VZW processes, or does it have to be specific to the T-Mobile way?

I don't think she's looking for updated radios, since she has the 4G anyway, but probably some battery hacks and things.

I don't think so. I am not as knowledgable as most on here but i do know that the fascinate network is CDMA and looking at the Vibrant its HSDPA (whatever that means). And the only thing I can say about that is when people with the fascinate have tried to download the European version of the fascinate (i9000), the CDMA has come up as a reason why it won't work and will brick their phone.

Again, I don't know for sure but I would stick to the T-mobile site for hers just to be on the safe side.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think some of you are getting confused as to what the OP is asking. Simply rooting a device has no bearing on ROMs, kernels, radios, etc. It just allows the user access to everything, which they didn't have before.

You should be able to follow the same steps to root, but just to be safe I would head over to the Galaxy S 4G forum for specific instructions

Reactions: Jmac9

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. Its just that i've seen alot of people geting into trouble lately.......just didn't want to see another unecessarily.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. Its just that i've seen alot of people geting into trouble lately.......just didn't want to see another unecessarily.

Rightfully so! Flashing a ROM meant for one device to another will definitely lead to some major problems. From what I gathered though, that wasn't what the OP was looking for

adamklo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess my original question, I guess, was if I could use VZW rooting techniques on my girlfriend's T-Mobile GS4G. Specifically, to cut bloatware and the like. I figured it would not be possible, but thought I'd ask about it.

Thanks, team.