Using Google for the Car Dock screen?

lonzom10

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
So I have rooted my phone and installed the Google Search update located here at AC. Big kudos to everyone who worked on this as it is functioning perfectly so far. My question is, is anyone working on updating the Fascinate Car Dock page so that the "View Map", "Voice Search" and "Navigation" links work using Google? Since completing the Google Search update mentioned above, I have noticed that these same Car Dock icons cause a Force Close when they are pressed. A car dock functioning completely on Google would be awesome!

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
whoever programmed the card dock probably specified the activity(app) to call when selecting an item in the car dock. Thus if you pressed navigation, behind the scnees it would likely fire an intent to start the VZnavigator application.

I assume this is hard coded into the car dock application. It is also why you are seeing force closes. The car dock is trying to open an application that no longer exists.

It may be very simple to design and develop a replacement car dock app for the fascinate that instead fires up the appropriate google services that we desire.

Let me see what I can come up with.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
There's already an app on the market called custom car home, which applies the same desired use you described.

You can specifically set which apps will be fired by each intended shortcut. Customizable car dock app.

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There's already an app on the market called custom car home, which applies the same desired use you described.

You can specifically set which apps will be fired by each intended shortcut. Customizable car dock app.
Nice find! While playing with it I discovered that the dialer app does not flip to landscape - not a biggie since I would likely use contacts or voice commands to place a call, but when the call is in progress the dialer is displayed. Not the fault of custom car home.

lonzom10

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the tip! Just downloaded it and will give a test on the drive home this evening! From the looks of it, it may actually be more functional than the stock app. Hope so!

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Found CCH through another forum. Love the app. Only question is how can I make it the default home when in the dock like the verizon car home app?

lonzom10

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Follow-up: I downloaded and tested this app on the way home this evening. Worked like a charm. As soon as I slid the phone into the dock and slid the USB in, the phone opened into the CCH page and it was good to go. I was able to open Google Nav and several other apps from the one CCH page. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as the SF Car Dock App but very functional with more options. Thanks Again!

snrsuave

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Last week I found and downloaded the Samsung Desk Home and Car Home apps. These apps came from the other Galaxy S phones (the ones that aren't Binged). They look almost exactly like the ones on the Fascinate, except they launch googe search, voice search, and navigation. I don't have a dock, so I couldn't test if they launch automatically, but maybe someone else can give it a shot.

xda-developers - View Single Post - Car Home & Desk Home by Samsung [ WITH PICS]

lonzom10

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Last week I found and downloaded the Samsung Desk Home and Car Home apps. These apps came from the other Galaxy S phones (the ones that aren't Binged). They look almost exactly like the ones on the Fascinate, except they launch googe search, voice search, and navigation. I don't have a dock, so I couldn't test if they launch automatically, but maybe someone else can give it a shot.

xda-developers - View Single Post - Car Home & Desk Home by Samsung [ WITH PICS]

Has anyone tested these? Does anyone have any screenshots of what they look like on your phone?

Last edited:

mtnbikerid3r

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have installed the car dock app that is linked in a post above and then renamed carhome.apk in /system/app folder. I then put my fascinate in the car dock and it does automatically launch. The maps and navigation buttons open the ccorresponding Google maps and navigation windows. I had already installed Google maps prior to installing this car dock. The voice search opens Google search. The search button opens Bing search on the browser. I have not renamed the Bing apps yet so I don't know if that will change how the search button will work. This car dock looks identical to the factory app except it doesn't have the Home button the original has.

Sent from my Fascinate

jveloza2

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I installed CCH but when I dock the phone it opens the default car dock app. I can I get it to open CCH without having to manually select it?

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I installed CCH but when I dock the phone it opens the default car dock app. I can I get it to open CCH without having to manually select it?

Same problem here. I think you have to be rooted to rename the carhome.apk file. Also if you are using LauncherPro--I can't get any dock app to launch unless I go back to TWLauncher.

dd7

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Custom Car Home

I am too looking for Custom Car Home to load when I put my phone in the car dock. I have searched and searched...could someone explain how to get it to launch when I put it in car dock...right now the stock car dock comes up. Thanks.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I am too looking for Custom Car Home to load when I put my phone in the car dock. I have searched and searched...could someone explain how to get it to launch when I put it in car dock...right now the stock car dock comes up. Thanks.

It was sickening when I put my fascinate into the car dock and up came all this VZ Navigator and Bing stuff. Ugh! Following tips on some other forums I downloaded Custom Car Home from the AppBrain Market. This app lets you put whatever nav and search apps and anything else on a custom car dock app. Settings let you auto load Bluetooth, auto switch on GPS, Disable WiFi and a bunch of other stuff when the app launches. I had trouble initially getting the app to load automatically when I connected the dock but finally overcame that problem. This solution even works with LauncherPro and the WidgetLocker screen lock active.

Here's how I did it:
Downloaded app called "Locale" (A little pricey but well worth it when you start to see what it can do.) Also the Locale Dock Condition app and the Locale shortcut plug-in app. With those installed you go into Locale and set condition > Car dock and save it Then under cardock condition > setting > shortcut > custom car home. Locale then monitors your phone for the stated condition and when detected launches the app you have chosen in your shortcut. Now the behavior is when in Launcher Pro and screen locked (OR Not if your prefer) whenever I connect the car dock to the phone the custom car home app automatically launches. 8 big easy to touch icons of your own choosing on the default screen plus two more pages of your own customized shortcuts (8 apps each Page) in large easy to touch icons. I highly recommend this app and set-up if you don't like the car cradle app that comes with the phone. Happy

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I got the stock non-verizon CarDock.apk from a post by namebrandon here and replaced it with the verizon stock one with root explorer.

I first moved the original verizon CarDock.apk and the corresponding odex file from the system/app folder to my sdcard/removed_apps folder. Then I copied the linked non-verizon CarDock.apk into the system/app folder. I restarted the phone just for good measure and voila! Upon opening the Car Cradle app everything routes through google services; Text search, voice search, maps, navigation EVERYTHING!

However I have also already de-bloated and de-bing'ded my phone and have also installed the enhancedgooglesearch.apk so those maybe be prerequisites

Hope this helps.:)