Screen Turns Off Before I can Hit the End Button

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My wife just got a fascinate and during a phone call the screen goes blank, the proximity sensor and all, but when she wants to end the call, she moves the phone away from her face and the screen comes on, but only for 3 seconds or so, then quickly turns off. Anyone have this issue? Its almost too fast to hit the end button. TIA, she thanks you too, but mainly me so she can stop bothering me!

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I might take it back as well, I just tested mine, and the screen was on for ~11 seconds after I moved it from my face. Now this might also be due to the people hanging up before her. When I tested I just called voice-mail, and then moved it away from my face to watch the timer. No idea what happens if the other party disconnects while you're looking at it.

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just did some tests.. but, I don't think my phone is a good comparison to whatever she's got going..

I've got the Lock screen disabled (via THIS thread)... and I have WidgetLocker ...

I have the same symptom as namebrandon when i make a call out, then I take the phone away from face and look at screen.. it stays bright for about 10 seconds.. but even then.. my screen doesn't turn off. it just dims a bit...

I did notice during this testing that the proximity sensor is very sensitive.. ie: when i had my hand about 2-3 inches away from the top of the phone, it turned off the screen.

Also.. is this a call where she's the only one hanging up? or could the other party be hanging up first?. (thus, tearing down the call on your end without you hitting end key)

I'd also play with the Screen Timeout settings under Sounds and Display in the phone settings.

schnyd

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Is she reaching for the end key and the screen goes blank. I know sometimes this happens to me because my hand gets to close to the proximity sensor.

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I took a video to show...i called voice mail...if you cover the sensor and then take your finger away, the screen comes on for ~3 seconds and then turns off. The same thing happens if you push the power button. She says this did not happen the first day and that night...it updated the os. thinking maybe this is something from the update??

YouTube - September 30, 2010 7:40 PM

josue

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've caught my phone doing this every now and then....drives me CRAZY!!! Sometimes it does it when I'm trying to go through a voice/dial system, like some customer service dealeo...."MY PHONE WON'T LET ME PRESS 2!!!!" hahaha

MsGadget13

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I had issues too and went looking for a solution. On one of the Droid sites they recommended Screebl. I bought the app for $1.99 from the Market. Couldn't tell too much from the trial. I set it for the angles I prefer and my screen stays on.

Haven't tested it a lot, just bought it last night, but so far seems to work as promised.

MsGadget 13

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I took a video to show...i called voice mail...if you cover the sensor and then take your finger away, the screen comes on for ~3 seconds and then turns off. The same thing happens if you push the power button. She says this did not happen the first day and that night...it updated the os. thinking maybe this is something from the update??

YouTube - September 30, 2010 7:40 PM

lots of other folks have the update, including myself, and I don't see this behavior.

my screen definitely stays bright for up to ten seconds, and even then, it just dims the screen.. for another period of unknown time.

I'll continue thinking about what this could be..

via android tapatalk

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
This may be of interest to your efforts:

There's a debug menu which has a screen that allows you to "test" your Proximity/accelerometer/etc Sensors... You might play around with this test screen to see if maybe it's detecting "proximity" even when there's nothing near it...

First: (extracted from egg_head's about secret codes)

Go into the Dialer and enter *#83786633 then press the Home key
Go back into the phone dialer (clear first code) and enter *#22745927
Now a box will come up asking for the SPC code. Enter 000000
Press the Hiddenmenu Enable radio button.

Then:
From the dialer, enter: *#0*#

This should launch the LCD Test screen.

From here, there's a "Sensor" button in the bottom middle.

Once inside, you see various information: Accelerometer, Proximity, Light, and Magnetic Sensor (great way to see the compass)

You can move your hand over the top part of the phone, and the screen should turn Blue when the proximity is triggered.

I would then play around with the phone.. hold it like you would if you were entering digits... wiggle it, tilt it in different directions... just to see if anything triggers the proximity, even though you have nothing near the top of the screen.

For my phone, it ONLY shows the blue screen when i have some object within 2 inches of the sensor.

There is a "Cal." button.... I've pressed it a few times, but I have no clue what it's doing... not sure if you're supposed to have it on a solid/level surface and then hit the calibrate? or.. if it even works at all . ??

This test also allows me to see that the proximity sensor is the one closes to the earpiece.

what's also interesting is that the Light Sensor appears to be in the same spot as the proximity... when I cover up the left dot,.. nothing changes... proximity and light show the same... ... . .

Not sure if this will get you anywhere.. but, i'm hoping it may show that proximity is being triggered even when you don't think it should be

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I tested the sensor and it was perfect so I did a hard reset and...it works fine now. Odd. PITA to put all her crap back on, but thanks for all the help. Ill let you know if it reoccurs...thanks again everyone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez