Free USB tether? (PDAnet alternate)

j32driver

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Evening folks,

I need USB tethering. Is there a free alternative to PDAnet? I found this website android-wired-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code but it doesn't work out of the box. Our kernel doesn't support the program. They have a kernel update, but it looks like it is for Android 1.6.

I'm new enough to Android that I don't exactly know what the kernel update does or whether a 1.6 kernel update can even be applied to a device that is running 2.1 without turning it into a paperweight.

Does anyone know how to make this program work, or do you have an alternate way of getting free USB tethering.

I'm not opposed to just buying PDAnet, but doesn't FROYO get us built in USB tethering when it comes? I just don't want to spend money on something we are going to get for free in a month or two.

Thanks

FloorMatt

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted wireless tether works well. It can be found in the how to root thread. BTW froyo will NOT bring free tether. Verizon charges extra for very little bandwidth on the built in tether.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted wireless tether works well. It can be found in the how to root thread. BTW froyo will NOT bring free tether. Verizon charges extra for very little bandwidth on the built in tether.

There is also the close cousin of Wireless Tether - Wired Tether. Free, open source app. Only catch is you need to be rooted and have a kernel that supports it.

Reactions: jackmei2

desertdog

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Try the free PDANet to see if works for what you want.

''Note: Once trial expires, you can continue using PdaNet for free. The only difference is that free edition blocks secure web sites"

I have tried it and streamed a couple of TV shows from HULU with out any problems. I figured I will use this until I have the nerve to root. Newbe:)

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted but I still use PdaNet over wireless tether most of the time. (I bought the paid version)

Here's why:

1. There is no REAL wireless tethering. Even while using wireless tether, you still need to plug your phone in or you will kill off your battery very quickly.

2. Faster connection over USB. I've done quite a few speed tests and always get faster speeds over USB than I do with wireless tether.

3. I love the SMS agent that's included with PdaNet. It allows you to send and receive SMS messages over your computer just like you were using an instant messaging program.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

gonwk

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

I am a total Newbie and I just got me a Samsung Fascinate and I have downloaded the PDANet Free Version from Fabric ...

Q1: Do I just install that on my laptop?

Q2: What do I need to uinstall on my Cell Phone? And where is that Software?

Q3: Do you happen to have a Step-By-Step Dummy-Proof Guide for installation?

THANKS A BUNCH in advance!

G! :)

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm rooted but I still use PdaNet over wireless tether most of the time. (I bought the paid version)

Here's why:

1. There is no REAL wireless tethering. Even while using wireless tether, you still need to plug your phone in or you will kill off your battery very quickly.

2. Faster connection over USB. I've done quite a few speed tests and always get faster speeds over USB than I do with wireless tether.

3. I love the SMS agent that's included with PdaNet. It allows you to send and receive SMS messages over your computer just like you were using an instant messaging program.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

But at least the wireless tethering does one thing your USB wired tether does not. If you get better signal in a particular part of the room, you can at least leave your phone there and walk around with your laptop.

Second, you can connect more than one devices at a time with it. Such as ipad, Ipod touch, etc. In situation where you have road trip and kids in the back seat, it does wonder.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
There is also the close cousin of Wireless Tether - Wired Tether. Free, open source app. Only catch is you need to be rooted and have a kernel that supports it.

thanks Rag, this is exactly what I need for my work laptop since they don't allow me to connect to ad-hoc networks, ie wireless tether and barnacle.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
thanks Rag, this is exactly what I need for my work laptop since they don't allow me to connect to ad-hoc networks, ie wireless tether and barnacle.

That stinks, I have been using Barnacle for a few days and once I figured out the quirks it is just plain amazing. The signal strength is good over a fair distance, it handles multiple connections well and it doesnt seem to be as big of a battery murderer as the rest of the tethering apps. In tests, I have consistently gotten sub-100ms pings and at or above 1 mbit speeds.

rvpn12

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I use Barnacle wifi legacy. It was easy, doesn't require the USB cord and it works fast. Why do you want to USB tether when you can tether with wifi?

JosephKoechling

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Try the free PDANet to see if works for what you want.

''Note: Once trial expires, you can continue using PdaNet for free. The only difference is that free edition blocks secure web sites"

I have tried it and streamed a couple of TV shows from HULU with out any problems. I figured I will use this until I have the nerve to root. Newbe:)

Not sure if I'm late to the game with this, but there is a quirk with PDANet that allows you to browse secure web pages.

Click 'Register PDANet' and then click "Buy". This will open a new window giving you options to pay by credit card or by paypal. Choose Paypal and continue. This will open up the Paypal login.... See where I'm heading with this?

Paypal IS A SECURED WEBSITE! This opens the floodgates for secured browsing. I was able to browse secured web pages for an hour or so before the connection reset and continue to do so afterwards following the same steps. I did not purchase the software and was still able to use it. I never completed the paypal purchase

They might see this, but they'll probably fix it anyways so enjoy it while you can.

If JUNE FABRICS SOFTWARE Sees this? Hey guys, I'm willing to pay $5 or $6 for this, not your ridiculous price. Drop the price and I might not cheat

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo