Emergency Call Not Working

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, understood.Thanks.
Wondering about that, if you press the emergency call button does it go straight to 911 or do you have to dial 911.
If the emergency call button takes you to a dial pad anybody would have access to make a call anywhere without knowing the unlock pattern. Could they go from the dial pad back into other menus?

No it only lets you call emergency numbers like 911 or other numbers that are considered emergency contacts , like medical assistance numbers.

and no they can not gain access to any menus

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, understood.Thanks.
Wondering about that, if you press the emergency call button does it go straight to 911 or do you have to dial 911.
If the emergency call button takes you to a dial pad anybody would have access to make a call anywhere without knowing the unlock pattern. Could they go from the dial pad back into other menus?
It takes you to a dial pad and you have to dial a number.. I've tested it out.. it only accepts 911 on my phone (I don't have any other emergency numbers set up). If you try to dial anything else it says "this is not an emergency number".

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this Kevin, we've now reported this on our front page and reached out to both Verizon and Samsung on the issue. Hopefully this will be addressed swiftly.
My pleasure.. I'm surprised I was first! Does this entitle me to an instant promotion out of newbie status? :p

GrainOsand

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Just spoke with SAMDUMB....gotta go back to work. will call 800 later..

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Roger'

Roger: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I have a BIG problem with the DL09 software update that has bben sent out OTA to my fascinate.....

Roger: I understand that you are facing problem while updating. Am I right?

Visitor: I noticed a bug accidentally....since DL09 update...A BIG BUG!!!!!!!!Actually could be a lawsuit waiting to happen..so I researched a little and found scores fo other people who have same problem since DL09 OTA...Give me a minute to type this up......

Roger: Okay.

Visitor: I Updated my phone to DL09 as instructed by the OTA sent out By verizon... I set up my lock screen so no one could use my phone without swyping in the the pattern i saet...

Roger: Okay.

Visitor: After I set up lock screen pattern I went back to my home screen and locked it to check and make sure it was working.

Visitor: I accidentally hit the emergency call button below the pattern and guess what? NOTHING HAPPENED!!!I COULDNT MAKE AN EMERGENCY CALL IT JUST STAYED THE SAME. After I swyped in my pattern. it went to the emergency call screen....That Is a big problem. the whole point of the emergency call button is so you can call 911 without swyping in the lock screen pattern...

Roger: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.

Visitor: I am extremely disturbed by this especially since my wife also has a fascinate and has same problem after DL09 update....This is a serious issue involving safety...The safety of my wife and children....

Visitor: ok

Roger: I will be right with you.

Visitor: I went to verizon and tried the same thing on there demo phone and same issue...I googled the issue and found other people had the same problem...www.andriodcental.com has a whole forum post dedicated to this issue....I could see if it was just a hardware issue, But its an software issue and is affecting all fascinates running DL09 software...Sorry Im a little worked up over this.....

Roger: i'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Roger: I suggest you to perform a soft reset on your device. I will provide you the steps to perform soft reset.

Roger: To perform soft reset, remove the battery and then wait for 30 seconds. Then reinsert the battery and turn the phone ON.

Visitor: its not an inconvenience! Its a pretty big issue..I already did a factory reset on both phones....Still same issue...Look im no software dev but im not an idiot either!

Roger: I understand your concern. I really apologize for what had happened.

Roger: I will provide few steps. Please perform them.

Visitor: ok lets waste some time together... go for it...

Roger: I understand how unhappy it would be. Even I feel the same when I am in your situation.

Roger: Let me try my best to help you.

Roger: Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons.

Roger: Release the Power button while continuing the hold Volume Down until a menu appears prompting you to select Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock.

Roger: Select Clear Storage using the Volume Down button.

Roger: Press the release Power button.

Visitor: shouldnt you have told me to turn the phone off first?

Visitor: what are we clearing? cache?

Roger: Yes. Turn off the phone. Then perform the steps.

Visitor: oh ok...

Roger: Let me know if you find any difficulty in performing the steps.

Visitor: Its not the power button on the fascinate its the home button...and i just did it...should i reboot now?

Roger: There will be a button located on the top right side.

Visitor: the command prompt activation key on the fascinate is the home button....pressing the power button does nothing.

Visitor: I pressed the power button and nothing..I pressed the home button and it cleared.

Roger: Press and hold Power button and Volume down button simultaneously.

Visitor: im already in recovery mode....

Roger: Select Clear Storage.

Visitor: I see the the little andriod guy. i already cleared the storage. its done...now my options are reboot. or update.zip

Roger: Select Update.zip

Visitor: ok...

Visitor: its done.....

Roger: Let me know the result.

Visitor: why am im updating the .zip...its an SD card command

Visitor: and it failed

Visitor: E:signature verification failed Installation aborted....thats the exact msg.

Roger: As you received the issue while the maintenance update, I suggested you to do it.

Roger: Please perform the same steps, and select the reboot options.

Visitor: I did exactly what you said and it FAILED!!!!!!!!

Roger: Yes. But let us check with all the possible steps to fix the issue.

Visitor: Is there a customer service phone number?

Visitor: I have dona a factory restore...wich would restore all factory settings...there is nothing me and you will be able to do to fix this........

Roger: I'm sorry. I can understand the severity of the issue. I have tried everything I could.

Roger: I will provide you the toll free number of our Voice Support.

Roger: You can contact Samsung Technical Support at 1-888-987-4357, where you will be able to speak with our agents in regards to this issue. It is available 24/7.

Roger: I am sorry, I couldn’t help you fix the issue over the chat as we at the chat support provide the basic troubleshooting information for our products, however our agents in the voice support provide the next level of support for further assistance.

Visitor: Thank you..

Roger: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Visitor: No!

Roger: Hope your issue gets fixed soon.

Roger: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Same problem. Not rooted- stock DL09. Launcher pro.

Apps:
Beautiful widgets
Angry Birds
Facebook
Gesture Search
Flashlight
Gmail
Google Goggles
History Eraser
Power Control
Retro Camera
Tango
Shootme
Yelp
Scanlife

So far you are the only person claiming to be non rooted that can replicate this.

Could you try going into Menu/Settings/Applications and remove the "Defaults" Setting for Launcher Pro and see if this persists when using the stock launcher?

phommk

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So far you are the only person claiming to be non rooted that can replicate this.

Could you try going into Menu/Settings/Applications and remove the "Defaults" Setting for Launcher Pro and see if this persists when using the stock launcher?

the op also is not rooted...but i went back to stock launcher and i was able to access the emergency dialer so im guessing it has something to do with a third party launcher?

EDIT: I just switched back to launcher pro from touchwiz as my default launcher and now the emergency dialer works

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
i went back to stock launcher and i was able to access the emergency dialer so im guessing it has something to do with a third party launcher?

EDIT: I just switched back to launcher pro from touchwiz as my default launcher and now the emergency dialer works

So if it fails again, maybe try going into Launcher Pro Settings, and select Restart to see if it corrects the problem?

I often have to restart launcher pro for the contents of desktop folders do not show the correct icons.

phommk

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So if it fails again, maybe try going into Launcher Pro Settings, and select Restart to see if it corrects the problem?

I often have to restart launcher pro for the contents of desktop folders do not show the correct icons.

yeah, it was probably because ive never restarted launcher pro since ive installed it on my phone and more specifically after the dl09 update

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Root is just root . Is just moved files nothing to do with anything. Root just gives you permissions

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
OK, I am rooted Stock DL09 kernal no CWM and have the Go Launcher running. I reloaded TW and checked the emergency dialer, it worked. So I removed TW, back to .OLD, restarted and now the Emergency is working.

I hope this helps.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
OK, I am rooted Stock DL09 kernal no CWM and have the Go Launcher running. I reloaded TW and checked the emergency dialer, it worked. So I removed TW, back to .OLD, restarted and now the Emergency is working.

I hope this helps.

did it ever not work for you curley?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Not anymore.

3 Fascinates, 1 rooted, 2 not. All 3 are fine. TW on the 2 that aren't rooted.

GrainOsand

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I am not rooted and niether is my wife and both our phones had this problem. So root nor launcher has anything to do with it! But I reflashed DI01 thru Odin and problem went away, So I downloaded the OTA again and all seems fine now. My wife doesnt trust me to mess with her phone and she will be getting a new one from vzw on monday. According to vzw warranty rep, it wasnt the first fascinate he replaced for this issue. Take it for what its worth.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Just an update guys:

Performed a factory reset, kept everything completely stock, and remained UNROOTED. Still able to produce this bug, and zero response from GalaxySsupport or VZW on Twitter...

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
3 cups of coffee later, a total of 5 resets, 2 of which were starting over from DI01, it appears we have a fix for those seeing this issue. Wanna know how simple?

Simply restart your phone after setting your pattern lock. Now excuse me while I go bash my head off my wall. Can someone who has been having this issue verify that this works?

Lowrance

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
3 cups of coffee later, a total of 5 resets, 2 of which were starting over from DI01, it appears we have a fix for those seeing this issue. Wanna know how simple?

Simply restart your phone after setting your pattern lock. Now excuse me while I go bash my head off my wall. Can someone who has been having this issue verify that this works?
This fixed mine! Thanks

Reactions: Chris Kerrigan