Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Emergency Call Not Working

I have my phone set up with the pattern to unlock. After installing DL09 this week... when the phone is locked if I click on the Emergency Call button nothing happens. Then when I unlock the phone it takes me to the emergency dialer screen. So obviously that's a bit out of sync and renders the emergency call feature worthless.

Not a feature I care about, but it probably should work! Try out your DL09 updated phone..does it happen to you?
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by SEAKevin View Post
    I have my phone set up with the pattern to unlock. After installing DL09 this week... when the phone is locked if I click on the Emergency Call button nothing happens. Then when I unlock the phone it takes me to the emergency dialer screen. So obviously that's a bit out of sync and renders the emergency call feature worthless.

Not a feature I care about, but it probably should work! Try out your DL09 updated phone..does it happen to you?
    lol. it doesnt surprise me tha something else is broken in DL09. i havent tried that though. are you rooted?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

No not rooted.

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

No not rooted.
    with out being rooted there isnt much you can do.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Wow, I just checked this out myself and am having the same issue. This is a HUGE security bug.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks for posting this Kevin, we've now reported this on our front page and reached out to both Verizon and Samsung on the issue. Hopefully this will be addressed swiftly.

Where's the juice again?

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Not a feature I care about, but it probably should work!
    Not a feature you care about? You will if you got your lock screen on and frantically trying to dial 911 in the heat of the moment.

This is serious......
    Feel free to private message me at any time! I enjoy getting private messages.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,139 Global Posts

We need more than this. Are you rooted? What apps do you have installed? Are you (please say no) using a task killer? Third-party launcher? Details, people. Let's have 'em.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here's what I'm running everyone (and I'm successfully able to reproduce this)

• Rooted
    • Stock DL09 pushed by Verizon
    • No task killers
    • No 3rd party launchers
    • AppBrain App Market
    • MSN Talk
    • Beautiful Widgets
    • tumblr
    • Bank of America
    • Android Central App
    • Currency Converter
    • Movies by Flixter
    • Tapatalk Pro
    • Root Explorer
    • Angry Birds
    • Barcode Scanner
    • GasBuddy
    • Endomondo
    • PingChat
    • Shootme
    • WhatsApp
    • Foursquare
    • AIM
    • Urbanspoon
    • Yelp

Same problem. Not rooted- stock DL09. Launcher pro.

Apps:
    Beautiful widgets
    Angry Birds
    Facebook
    Gesture Search
    Flashlight
    Gmail
    Google Goggles
    History Eraser
    Power Control
    Retro Camera
    Tango
    Shootme
    Yelp
    Scanlife

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Ok so i started off , rooted CMW+root method, and was able to recreate this
    LPP
    Noled
    tapatalk
    AC app
    root explorer
    Rom manager
    shoot me
    titanium back up

But for experiment purposes i flashed DI01 via odin and did an OTA.
    it worked fine, so i systematically put all the apps back but still its working fine after putting everything back the way i had it. Im at a loss.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Our two phones have never had this feature.
    It is not even mentioned in the owners manual.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by GaryA View Post
    Our two phones have never had this feature.
    It is not even mentioned in the owners manual.
    it has to have that feature,
    goto
    Settings>location and security>set unlock pattern

after you activate it lock your phone, wake it up and look to the bottom of the pattern

I just use the swipe pattern.
    Do I have to set a special pattern for it to show up?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

I just use the swipe pattern.
    Do I have to set a special pattern for it to show up?
    here watch this video
    http://www.androidcentral.com/warnin...scinate-update

So it does not work with the default side to side swipe pattern?
    You have to set a special pattern for it to show up?
    This is not mentioned in the owners manual.
    There is no mention of an emergency button at all.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

look at the center of page 13 in your getting started area of user manual

First tip is for a screen unlock pattern.
    Then it states "instructions start with the phone unlocked at the home screen"
    So if you are not using a special pattern there is no emergency button showing on the locked screen.You have to unlock the phone to make a call.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

First tip is for a screen unlock pattern.
    Then it states "instructions start with the phone unlocked at the home screen"
    So if you are not using a special pattern there is no emergency button showing on the locked screen.You have to unlock the phone to make a call.
    Well you dont need emergency call option if your phone is accessible. the whole point of having the button is that even if someone doesnt have your pattern or if you forgot your pattern a call can still be made

Ok, understood.Thanks.
    Wondering about that, if you press the emergency call button does it go straight to 911 or do you have to dial 911.
    If the emergency call button takes you to a dial pad anybody would have access to make a call anywhere without knowing the unlock pattern. Could they go from the dial pad back into other menus?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Ok, understood.Thanks.
    Wondering about that, if you press the emergency call button does it go straight to 911 or do you have to dial 911.
    If the emergency call button takes you to a dial pad anybody would have access to make a call anywhere without knowing the unlock pattern. Could they go from the dial pad back into other menus?
    No it only lets you call emergency numbers like 911 or other numbers that are considered emergency contacts , like medical assistance numbers.

and no they can not gain access to any menus
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

ROM
    Stock

Ok, understood.Thanks.
    It takes you to a dial pad and you have to dial a number.. I've tested it out.. it only accepts 911 on my phone (I don't have any other emergency numbers set up). If you try to dial anything else it says "this is not an emergency number".
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    Thanks for posting this Kevin, we've now reported this on our front page and reached out to both Verizon and Samsung on the issue. Hopefully this will be addressed swiftly.
    My pleasure.. I'm surprised I was first! Does this entitle me to an instant promotion out of newbie status?

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My pleasure.. I'm surprised I was first! Does this entitle me to an instant promotion out of newbie status?
    Yep, and you get a "I found a critical bug and all I got was this stupid T-Shirt" shirt

ROM
    Almost stock

Just spoke with SAMDUMB....gotta go back to work. will call 800 later..

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Roger'

Roger: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I have a BIG problem with the DL09 software update that has bben sent out OTA to my fascinate.....

Roger: I understand that you are facing problem while updating. Am I right?

Visitor: I noticed a bug accidentally....since DL09 update...A BIG BUG!!!!!!!!Actually could be a lawsuit waiting to happen..so I researched a little and found scores fo other people who have same problem since DL09 OTA...Give me a minute to type this up......

Roger: Okay.

Visitor: I Updated my phone to DL09 as instructed by the OTA sent out By verizon... I set up my lock screen so no one could use my phone without swyping in the the pattern i saet...

Roger: Okay.

Visitor: After I set up lock screen pattern I went back to my home screen and locked it to check and make sure it was working.

Visitor: I accidentally hit the emergency call button below the pattern and guess what? NOTHING HAPPENED!!!I COULDNT MAKE AN EMERGENCY CALL IT JUST STAYED THE SAME. After I swyped in my pattern. it went to the emergency call screen....That Is a big problem. the whole point of the emergency call button is so you can call 911 without swyping in the lock screen pattern...

Roger: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.

Visitor: I am extremely disturbed by this especially since my wife also has a fascinate and has same problem after DL09 update....This is a serious issue involving safety...The safety of my wife and children....

Visitor: ok

Roger: I will be right with you.

Visitor: I went to verizon and tried the same thing on there demo phone and same issue...I googled the issue and found other people had the same problem...www.andriodcental.com has a whole forum post dedicated to this issue....I could see if it was just a hardware issue, But its an software issue and is affecting all fascinates running DL09 software...Sorry Im a little worked up over this.....

Roger: i'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Roger: I suggest you to perform a soft reset on your device. I will provide you the steps to perform soft reset.

Roger: To perform soft reset, remove the battery and then wait for 30 seconds. Then reinsert the battery and turn the phone ON.

Visitor: its not an inconvenience! Its a pretty big issue..I already did a factory reset on both phones....Still same issue...Look im no software dev but im not an ***** either!

Roger: I understand your concern. I really apologize for what had happened.

Roger: I will provide few steps. Please perform them.

Visitor: ok lets waste some time together... go for it...

Roger: I understand how unhappy it would be. Even I feel the same when I am in your situation.

Roger: Let me try my best to help you.

Roger: Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons.

Roger: Release the Power button while continuing the hold Volume Down until a menu appears prompting you to select Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock.

Roger: Select Clear Storage using the Volume Down button.

Roger: Press the release Power button.

Visitor: shouldnt you have told me to turn the phone off first?

Visitor: what are we clearing? cache?

Roger: Yes. Turn off the phone. Then perform the steps.

Visitor: oh ok...

Roger: Let me know if you find any difficulty in performing the steps.

Visitor: Its not the power button on the fascinate its the home button...and i just did it...should i reboot now?

Roger: There will be a button located on the top right side.

Visitor: the command prompt activation key on the fascinate is the home button....pressing the power button does nothing.

Visitor: I pressed the power button and nothing..I pressed the home button and it cleared.

Roger: Press and hold Power button and Volume down button simultaneously.

Visitor: im already in recovery mode....

Roger: Select Clear Storage.

Visitor: I see the the little andriod guy. i already cleared the storage. its done...now my options are reboot. or update.zip

Roger: Select Update.zip

Visitor: ok...

Visitor: its done.....

Roger: Let me know the result.

Visitor: why am im updating the .zip...its an SD card command

Visitor: and it failed

Visitor: E:signature verification failed Installation aborted....thats the exact msg.

Roger: As you received the issue while the maintenance update, I suggested you to do it.

Roger: Please perform the same steps, and select the reboot options.

Visitor: I did exactly what you said and it FAILED!!!!!!!!

Roger: Yes. But let us check with all the possible steps to fix the issue.

Visitor: Is there a customer service phone number?

Visitor: I have dona a factory restore...wich would restore all factory settings...there is nothing me and you will be able to do to fix this........

Roger: I'm sorry. I can understand the severity of the issue. I have tried everything I could.

Roger: I will provide you the toll free number of our Voice Support.

Roger: You can contact Samsung Technical Support at 1-888-987-4357, where you will be able to speak with our agents in regards to this issue. It is available 24/7.

Roger: I am sorry, I couldn’t help you fix the issue over the chat as we at the chat support provide the basic troubleshooting information for our products, however our agents in the voice support provide the next level of support for further assistance.

Visitor: Thank you..

Roger: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Visitor: No!

Roger: Hope your issue gets fixed soon.

Roger: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast