Ok so lets say my house is on fire and I need to make an emergency call...

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I would seriously be a well baked Melissa cookie long beofre this phone would wake up enough for me to call 911. Its insane. Sometimes it takes 5+ mins for the thing to come alive. And I often have to reboot to get it really moving. Why? How can I speed it up? It isnt even only if its been idle say overnight. If its idle for even a few mins its just as slow to come back up. It just sits on whatever screen Im on and I cant click anything. I just did a test between the Fascinate, Galaxy Tab and DX and it is by far the slowest. Any ideas?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
What kernel are you using, are you using any themes, how many apps do you have installed, how much free memory is being repreported in the task manager? Has it gradually gotten this bad or did it start after making a particular change?

Clearly there's some sort of configuration issue since the phone should not be lagging like that. I've never experienced anything like that, but I tend to keep more or less to stock and am pretty selective about the alps I'll install.

jtalker1965

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Stock or rooted? I have no issues with mine, all stock. Just wondering. The phone is under warranty? I would return it or do a factory reset back to "stock" you may have gotten hold of a app that just didn't like the phone. Good luck, JT

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean 5 minutes from being completely powered off, or 5 minutes from just the screen turned off?
If my screen is off (I never power it off), I don't notice any delays when turning on the screen, unlocking it and operating it.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The phone is under warranty? I would return it or do a factory reset back to "stock" you may have gotten hold of a app that just didn't like the phone. Good luck, JT

No need to return it for what is, almost certainly, a small configuration problem. And to return it, she'd have to restore it to stock anyway, which would rectify the problem in all likelyhood.

We really need to have some more info to pinpoint the problem. Did she flash one of the newer kernels, none of which are quite as bulletproof stable as earlier kernels. If not, then it might be worth doing a factory reset to clear all user data. If that doesn't work, the next step would be to format /system and reflash the rom. After that, one of the all-in-one restore packages.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, 5 minutes is probably longer than the fire department will take to get there, unless you live really really close to a station. You want my advice? Step 1: get self, loved ones, and pets out of the house. Step 2: fiddle with phone.

As far as the phone goes, crap apps kill phones, plain and simple. I have fiddled with just about every quasi-stock rom and kernel out there and none of them had as bad of an impact as when i started using the Words With Friends app (quite possibly the worst written android app of all time.) I dont bother with voodoo, or overclocks, or anything even performance-focused, and my phone still runs like a top until it gets bogged down with apps. Find the crap apps, and ditch em. I bet your phone will thank you for it.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, maybe not the answer to life, but most likely the answer to the majority of problems on android based phones.

No joke. For a while (back when I ran the stock build minus a little bloat) I had 3 gmail inboxes, an exchange inbox, twitter, and facebook all pushing/synchronizing to my phone, with weatherbug doing 30 minute updates, and it still ran great. It wasnt until i decided i "needed" about a dozen games, five different GPS testers, nine shopping apps, and three podcast apps that it started to give me trouble.

JettaStorm97

May 10, 2010
Visit site
A little something I have run into is to make sure the stock browser isn't still running in the back ground. I'm not totally sure why, but on my wife's and my phones the stock browser makes everything drag until it is shut down from the task manager.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
A little something I have run into is to make sure the stock browser isn't still running in the back ground. I'm not totally sure why, but on my wife's and my phones the stock browser makes everything drag until it is shut down from the task manager.

I blame flash

</stevejobs>

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non