Call Log Refuses to Restore despite Restored Confirmation ?

Rachel.191

May 10, 2023
Visit site
I restored my call log with Samsung Smart Switch, restarted the phone. But there is nothing added to the call log! Im using the same default phone app as my old phone. And the app says 2,500 call logs were restored/added.

Is there a limit to the number of call log history you can have in your phone? Some say its 500 or 1000, but I just checked and my phone already has 1,504. So I don think its because of a limit issue.

I did try restarting the phone, and clearing the phone cache, force stop, several times. Its been a couple hours too, so I think it would have updated by now. I dont get it.

On the smart Switch app on the phone itself, I go to 3 Dots > Transfer Results > and it even shows the transferred call data listed, it says copied, 1mb. Its right there lol.
backup.jpg

Screenshot_20230510_175153_Smart Switch.jpg

Rachel.191

May 10, 2023
Visit site
Hmm no limit for Smart switch PC as long computer has the storage
Have you reboot the phone?
Yes, many times.

My current call log is only going back to March 2022, which is when I got my current phone, it was new. My phone seems to be stuck on only displaying back to March 2022 when the phone was first turned on and account hooked up.

The Smart Switch call log backup that I am trying to restore is from a Samsung S8, and is from Prior to March 2022. A different phone and different google account. So I tried attaching that old google account to the phone and then do the restore. But still no luck.

I dont think the google account associated should matter anyways. This is a manual restore with sammsun smart switch not google backups.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, many times.

My current call log is only going back to March 2022, which is when I got my current phone, it was new. My phone seems to be stuck on only displaying back to March 2022 when the phone was first turned on and account hooked up.

The Smart Switch call log backup that I am trying to restore is from a Samsung S8, and is from Prior to March 2022. A different phone and different google account. So I tried attaching that old google account to the phone and then do the restore. But still no luck.

I dont think the google account associated should matter anyways. This is a manual restore with sammsun smart switch not google backups.
That might be the issue if back up was from s8 as it's different Android version and cause a problem

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This for Samsung cloud back up not sure if it applies to smart switch PC

I would try cable between both devices and use smart switch copy and restore app on device just calls and logs see what happens Screenshot_20230514_173723_Samsung%20Cloud.jpg

Rachel.191

May 10, 2023
Visit site
This for Samsung cloud back up not sure if it applies to smart switch PC

I would try cable between both devices and use smart switch copy and restore app on device just calls and logs see what happens
I dont have the old phone anymore. 8(

But even with different OS versions, why is smart switch saying it transferred successfully then?
And on the phone itself, it confirms its transfered and organized. Plus these are just call history logs, I would think that would not be an issue, but if it was, I should get some error message right? idk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I dont have the old phone anymore. 8(

But even with different OS versions, why is smart switch saying it transferred successfully then?
And on the phone itself, it confirms its transfered and organized. Plus these are just call history logs, I would think that would not be an issue, but if it was, I should get some error message right? idk
I agree it should give an error but if doesn't realize it's different Android version who knows if can recognize it , what can do is tomorrow I can go to my computer I should have a back up as far as S7 and try to restore and see what happens and let you know?

Rachel.191

May 10, 2023
Visit site
I agree it should give an error but if doesn't realize it's different Android version who knows if can recognize it , what can do is tomorrow I can go to my computer I should have a back up as far as S7 and try to restore and see what happens and let you know?
Oh okay, its up to you. If you have the time! :)

Might want to check first that your current phone does not already have those call logs history from your S7, i dont know how far back your current phone goes.

I did JUST the call log data by the way, not the whole back up. So I choose just the call data which is less data and less reason to have an issue with the different OS. So would be interesting if yours works

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Definitely what I'll do is back up my current then erase the whole thing and see if my old back up will go through

Rachel.191

May 10, 2023
Visit site
Definitely what I'll do is back up my current then erase the whole thing and see if my old back up will go through
Oh, what if you don't erase your current data on the phone and just try adding the old backup data to it? (assuming its not the same data already on ur phone).

Just to keep the same conditions, Because that's what I'm trying to do, is leave alone existing data on my phone which goes back to march 2022, and import (restore) the old missing call log data onto it from the prior phone.

Plus would save you time so you don't have to literally wipe your whole phone and do everything over

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh, what if you don't erase your current data on the phone and just try adding the old backup data to it? (assuming its not the same data already on ur phone).

Just to keep the same conditions, Because that's what I'm trying to do, is leave alone existing data on my phone which goes back to march 2022, and import (restore) the old missing call log data onto it from the prior phone.
Ok yeah my data with be different for call logs on my S7 or whatever older back I have lol

Rachel.191

May 10, 2023
Visit site
Ok yeah my data with be different for call logs on my S7 or whatever older back I have lol
Okay perfect I just wasn't sure if your S7 data was already restored to ur current phone when you got it and set it up.

But if not, then that would be a perfect test to just try restoring the S7 call history and combine into your current phone call history.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay perfect I just wasn't sure if your S7 data was already restored to ur current phone when you got it and set it up.

But if not, then that would be a perfect test to just try restoring the S7 call history and combine into your current phone call history.
Ok will do and let you know

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Ok tested it none transferred over from my S7 edge though the pictures did.

Rachel.191

May 10, 2023
Visit site
Ok tested it none transferred over from my S7 edge though the pictures did.
Oh really? Weird. That's so strange that something as simple as a call log history wont transfer over. It would make sense if it was like old apps that dont run on newer android versions, but you would think basic call log info would be able to be transferred. Well thanks so much for trying it out! I guess its not just me afterall

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh really? Weird. That's so strange that something as simple as a call log history wont transfer over. It would make sense if it was like old apps that dont run on newer android versions, but you would think basic call log info would be able to be transferred. Well thanks so much for trying it out! I guess its not just me afterall
I know:(
Your welcome!