Difference between "Jail-Breaking" and "Rooting"?

sharifdesi

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone who REALLY knows and also knows how to explain well, please explain the difference between jail-breaking and rooting your phone?

johnsma22

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone who REALLY knows and also knows how to explain well, please explain the difference between jail-breaking and rooting your phone?

I was too lazy to type this so I copied and pasted a sufficient answer to your query.

random person on the internet said:
Jailbreaking and rooting both are same thing. The only difference is Jailbreaking is generally used to describe Apple products like the iPhone, while rooting is used to describe most other Linux based devices like Android. Unlocking means you can use any SIM iin your iPhone while Jailbeaking basically gives you read/write access to the locked-out OS files on the iPhone. You cannot unlock an iPhone without some form of Jailbreak being performed on it.

Here's a link to a nice article on the subject

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll add a little bit here... The previous two responses are correct, they are basically the same thing, just on different platforms (iOS, Android)

To "root" or "jailbreak" a device is to use a security flaw and exploit that in order to gain "superuser" access (think "administrative" rights on a PC). Once you have this access, you are able to do more with the device, beyond the manufacturer's/developer's permissions. Basically, it allows you to "unlock" the potential of the device, which may have otherwise been crippled by the manufacturer or carrier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana