Best car charger for Nexus?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got a 2 amp belkin car charger, but it can not keep up with the Nexus when navigation is running.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been using these for years. They are cheap, and they work very good and don't destroy your battery like some car chargers will. Also it has a nice blue glow. Give it a shot it's less than 5 bucks.

Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

Absolutely agree. I bought three of these for the three Samsung Fascinates my wife, daughter and I have had up until now and they work great! High output (4.75-5.25V 950mA) and no issues. And, inexpensive!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got a 2 amp belkin car charger, but it can not keep up with the Nexus when navigation is running.

I haven't tested it out in the car yet, but I bought the Platinum Series combo (wall and car adapters) from Best Buy and they are 3amp. I originally got them for my Thunderbolt, but then I read how slow the Revolution charged so the wife is using the wall adapter and I have the car adapter. I just don't normally use navigation.

It was like $30 but it does work pretty well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

Ledge

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been using that Motorola car charger with the Nexus and it doesn't keep up either. Battery goes down while using navigation. It worked great on my Evo and Rezound. Hoping a fix comes for this!

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Im wondering about this too. Is there a particular rate or capacity that is recommended for the phone? Im not going to pretend to know anything about electrical measurements.

Jimistixx

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm anxious to know about this too.
I often rely on navigation while plugged into car charger.
Haven't even thought about a charger not being able to keep up with the phone.
Too early to test on my Energizer car charger.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Like I said earlier Best Buy has the 3amp charger. I haven't used it on the Galaxy Nexus yet, but it worked well with my Thunderbolt and that phone guzzled down power.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Like I said earlier Best Buy has the 3amp charger. I haven't used it on the Galaxy Nexus yet, but it worked well with my Thunderbolt and that phone guzzled down power.

Is that the one with the two USB? If so I bought that one and it couldn't keep up either.

xiaosong

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Have you guys tried putting the phone in 3G mode for navigation? I think 4G is way overkill for downloading the maps for navigation.

a2thejay23

May 16, 2010
Visit site
i read somewhere that this is a problem with custom roms where the charger thinks its drawing from USB and not AC so it won't pull more than about 500ma which causes the phone not to be able to keep up in situations like the car....

doesn't happen on stock roms apparently...not sure

cdoerman

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't find the 3-amp micro-usb charger at Best Buy (either in my local store or online) that was mentioned earlier in this thread. However, I did find a 2-amp Rocketfish charger at Best Buy with a added USB port for charging a second device. I can confirm that the charger did charge my G-Nex (both standard and extended batteries) while running Navigation and Google Music streamed over 4G at the same time). It charges a lot faster if the screen and/or GPS is off but at least you get a positive charge with it everything running (even if it isn't charging really fast). I want to say that I was adding maybe 5% every 10 minutes with everything running. Anyway, here is the one I got. I actually bought 3 of these and Best Buy was running a sale so they ended up being $22.50 each but you have to buy more than 1 to get a discount.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...le%2Bcharger%26cp%3D1%26lp%3D4&token=V9Tmz28l

DCoy82

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I used the charger I posted on the first page for navigation in 3g mode and had no problems keeping a charge and gain battery as well. I still highly suggest that Motorola charger, you shouldn't have any problems with it and its less than 5 bucks shipped...

cdoerman

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I used the charger I posted on the first page for navigation in 3g mode and had no problems keeping a charge and gain battery as well. I still highly suggest that Motorola charger, you shouldn't have any problems with it and its less than 5 bucks shipped...

That one definitely sounds like a good value and I have been happy with Moto chargers in the past. My only concern is that the charger is spec'd at just under 1 amp (950 mA).

I would be curious to see if you can run Navigation on 4G and how it holds up. The 4G data is much more power-consuming than 3G. As an added bonus, stream some music in the background and see if it can keep pace.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
That one definitely sounds like a good value and I have been happy with Moto chargers in the past. My only concern is that the charger is spec'd at just under 1 amp (950 mA).

I would be curious to see if you can run Navigation on 4G and how it holds up. The 4G data is much more power-consuming than 3G. As an added bonus, stream some music in the background and see if it can keep pace.

Hmph. My junky 1ma rocket fish charges my phone just fine all that while navigation and Pandora are working on 4g. I'm 100% stock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie