Visit site
The HTC one also works great. Cheaper too. :p

629ae9c4-1230-3faf.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've rooted and tried some rooms and gone back to stock rooted, My charger can't keep up anymore when using Google navigation and Pandora simultaniously.

Hmph.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This charger show up as "A/C" on my Nexus as well as the "Just Wireless" SKU 03158 at Walmart
Walmart.com: Just Wireless Micro USB Mobile Car Charger For Motorola and other phones: Cell Phones

just got one of these, per this post.

it is not exactly a USB charger...it is a direct-wire with an auxillary USB port. When connected directly to the charger the Nexus does indeed show AC, but when on even the OEM USB cable to the USB port, sadly it shows USB. Love to use it for nav (with my hidden-in-the-dash extension to a vent-mount car dock), but not enough current. disappointing.

triton.

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you guys tried actually using the HTC charger? I just tested out the motorola one with the attached micro usb and it shows (AC) connection, but it's not drawing enough power to sustain GPS and playing a pod cast, or streaming audio at the same time.

THadaniS01

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you guys tried actually using the HTC charger? I just tested out the motorola one with the attached micro usb and it shows (AC) connection, but it's not drawing enough power to sustain GPS and playing a pod cast, or streaming audio at the same time.

I have tested it out and it does charge with Navigation and Pandora running. It takes longer but it does charge the phone. The Moto Car charger you have is rated for 950mah while the HTC one I have is rated for 1A. The HTC is better IMO.

Nate5452

May 31, 2011
Visit site

dswartze

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The Moto Droid X car dock to the rescue again (converted the Droid X dock so that the GN fits in it)! Based on DCoy82's post about the Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger, which happens to be the one that comes with the Moto Droid X car dock kit and which I have, I tested it last night and today. I can confirm that the GN shows AC charging AND it does charge the GN while on LTE, streaming via Bluetooth and with navigation (Waze). And at $5.10 on Amazon with free 2-day shipping (Amazon Prime) we have a winner!

I have also put together a spreadsheet based in the posts to this thread that lists the various car chargers discussed. You can find it at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al0z12qA9QMIdGdRVWlMb0VCNUhtSWN1dlR3Y1pjYkE

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

I've used it on a few trips and the HTC charger works great.

JScene

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to find a cable that will charge in AC mode? I can't find any distinction regarding just the cable.

I bought this cable thinking it would work well. I have a charger that came with the Costco bundle. When plugged into an outlet with the original Costco cable I get fast AC charging, then, using the same charger but swapping the cable with the one I ordered from Amazon I got USB charging. The printing on these cables doesn't seem too helpful, I had an old one that said 100W which charged too slow, the Costco cable says 300W, and this new one from Amazon doesn't have any of that information on it at all.

I've seen that there are "rapid chargers" and read about people soldering pins, but I just want to be able to identify what I'm buying and buy a cable that will work as AC, USB can't even keep up. I've searched for "rapid charging cables", "charging only cable", etc...but am not finding anything that can confirm how a cable will charge. I don't care if it transfers data or not.

I also bought the HTC car charger referenced earlier in this thread after reading the good reviews with the Nexus, but the charger won't matter if my cable is restricting me to 500 mAH.

I've been searching for a few days to find information on cables and can't seem to get anywhere. I found this cable because of the reference to Monoprice earlier in this thread, but it has about the same description as the one I bought on Amazon, and I don't want to buy another cable that's not going to work?

Thanks so much for any help or ideas. :)

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the Monoprice cable you reference, and with the HTC car charger, it delivers AC charging and works perfectly.

I have recently received this "charging cable" which is supposed to accomplish in its wiring the same thing as soldering the leads in the charger itself, but it is currently out of stock:

Naztech Charging Cable

I just tested it out, and it works. My wife has the stock Verizon car charger - the built-in coiled cable charges as AC, but when the secondary USB port was used, with the Monoprice cable, it was seen as USB. With the Naztech cable used instead, it shows as AC! So it does what it's supposed to do.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: JScene

ebcase

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I got one of these Scosche dual-usb iPad car chargers a while ago — Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad: Electronics — and had high hopes that it would charge my Galaxy Nexus.

Alas, with Navigation active on the phone, even the 2.1-Amp USB port isn't providing enough juice — it drains while it's plugged in. :/ I'm not entirely sure why this is — do you folks have any idea?

My hunt for a Galaxy Nexus + Navigation mode-compatible car charger continues...

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I got one of these Scosche dual-usb iPad car chargers a while ago ? Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad: Electronics ? and had high hopes that it would charge my Galaxy Nexus.

Alas, with Navigation active on the phone, even the 2.1-Amp USB port isn't providing enough juice ? it drains while it's plugged in. :/ I'm not entirely sure why this is ? do you folks have any idea?

My hunt for a Galaxy Nexus + Navigation mode-compatible car charger continues...

The key question is does your phone show USB or AC charging - you can check this in settings.

If USB then you need a different charger and/or cable per my comments above.

Just because a charger says 2.1 amps doesn't mean it will deliver that to your phone. There's been quite a few posts on this and other android/nexus forums if you want to better understand why.

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Want to chime in on my experiences. (using 3G, LTE would probably kill my battery)

I bought the HTC charger on Amazon for 3.00 and change. The specs on the charger say it supplies 1 amp. When I used it the first time with a crappy dollar store USB cable, I see AC Charging. However when I used Navigation + I Heart Radio app, the battery decreased by 10% in half an hour.

I was about to junk the charger when I decided to swap the usb the cable with the Verizon supplied version. With navigation and full brightness or using i heart radio, the charger definitely supplies plenty of power, with it charging around 1% per minute.

What happened when I used navigation + i heart radio? It still said AC charging, but I actually lost a little bit of power at the end of the half hour ride (2-3%).

In conclusion, the cable is as important as the charger. I'm still trying to find a high quality 2.1 amp charger that's not more than 20 bucks.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I am able to keep up with LTE and Navigation by using a 2.1A charger and making a charging USB wire by cutting the wire and shorting the data wires (usually the green and white ones) then soldering the wire back together and sealing with shrink tubing. If you use an off the shelf USB wire it will only charge in USB mode around 500mA. If you use the hacked USB charging cable it will charge in AC mode and I've seen it pull up to 1750mA using Battery Monitor Widget to confirm. https://market.android.com/details?...ch_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNjYzcxLmJtdyJd

I used the Kensington PowerBold Duo in the 2.1A outlet.
Newegg.com - Kensington PowerBolt Duo USB Auto Adapter & Charger for iPad1&2/iPhone 4 w/ Sync Cable (K33497US)

In the 1A outlet using the charging cable it will barely keep up with navigation and streaming. With it in the 2.1A outlet it will gain battery charge, about 30-40%/hr even with Navigation and streaming going. You can see exactly what is going on because Battery Monitor Widget will show you either in negative or positive mA and how much.

Reactions: Qubex
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I am able to keep up with LTE and Navigation by using a 2.1A charger and making a charging USB wire by cutting the wire and shorting the data wires (usually the green and white ones) then soldering the wire back together and sealing with shrink tubing. If you use an off the shelf USB wire it will only charge in USB mode around 500mA. If you use the hacked USB charging cable it will charge in AC mode and I've seen it pull up to 1750mA using Battery Monitor Widget to confirm. https://market.android.com/details?...ch_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNjYzcxLmJtdyJd

I used the Kensington PowerBold Duo in the 2.1A outlet.
Newegg.com - Kensington PowerBolt Duo USB Auto Adapter & Charger for iPad1&2/iPhone 4 w/ Sync Cable (K33497US)

In the 1A outlet using the charging cable it will barely keep up with navigation and streaming. With it in the 2.1A outlet it will gain battery charge, about 30-40%/hr even with Navigation and streaming going. You can see exactly what is going on because Battery Monitor Widget will show you either in negative or positive mA and how much.

What USB cable are you using this with? I read the amazon reviews on this charger and some people say you have to hack your USB cable to make it work. I was wondering if the supplied Verizon charger is good enough.

And is the battery monitor widget 100% accurate? Maybe I'm getting confused because the widget has a lot of info, but if I'm reading it correctly, it's charging around +680mah, which means it will finish charging in 2-3 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali