Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hapbeeboy
  • 1 Post By hapbeeboy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Video: Verizon Silicone Case w/Extended Battery On Gnex

Hey guys, here's another video with the Verizon silicone case (black) on my Gnex with the extended battery. This one was the best of the three that i've tried with the extended battery.
    Diztronics - Fit but was a little snug and sometimes the power button wouldn't respond so quit using that case.
    Incipio double case - this one did fit, but there was a slight gap between the soft inner case and hard outer case. It still worked, but didn't like the extra gap.

EDIT - I do like the Verizon Silicone case the best, but just wanted to update that I did send an email to Diztronics letting them know the volume rocker on their cover was a bit soft, they responded within an hour, saying a replacement cover was on the way. . .got it in two days! The new cover is the smoky grey? It's slightly different from the black one I originally ordered, the texture has slightly more grip and the volume rocker is slightly different and works better then the black one. So I would recommend the diztronic grey case over the black, I'm sticking with the verizon silicone as i like the "grippyness" a bit better and it is slightly thicker which gives extra piece of mind as far as protection. But Diztronics customer service is pretty f-ing awesome so kudos to those guys and the new case is much better!
    Thanked by 6:
    npike likes this.

Default Re: Video: Verizon Silicone Case w/Extended Battery On Gnex

Nice review and video!

Wish you made one for the Incipio case as that's the one I'm thinking about purchasing. I just want to see how much of a gap there is in that case. I've read from all over that it's very minor and if that's the case (no pun intended heh) then I can overlook that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

here ya go
    Thanked by 4:
    npike likes this.

Thanks!

That's not too bad but I can see how some people would be annoyed. But other then that gap is it a tight fit? Basically is that gap caused because there's lots of pressure in the back?

Sorry for the questions but haven't got a Nexus to test out yet till the end of the month. Still looking forward to whatever new cases you get. But currently my eye is still on this Incipio.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masx View Post
    Thanks!

That's not too bad but I can see how some people would be annoyed. But other then that gap is it a tight fit? Basically is that gap caused because there's lots of pressure in the back?

Sorry for the questions but haven't got a Nexus to test out yet till the end of the month. Still looking forward to whatever new cases you get. But currently my eye is still on this Incipio.
    it isn't too tight a fit, but there is some pressure (not a lot). . .you could mod the case by cutting a small hole in the softer inner case to relieve the pressure on the back and it should lay flush without the gap, but that's your call. . .I preferred going with the black silicone Verizon case, as it fits perfect with the extended battery and happy with the power and 3 pin connector cutout, as well as the volume rocker.

ROM
    DarkAOSP v3.0.0

Nice video review! I have the blue version of the same case and love it. I am happy it works with the extended battery which I just got yesterday. I was curious as to how well this case would protect, but you said that you had good luck with protection in the past, so that makes me feel a little better about the case.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
    Nice video review! I have the blue version of the same case and love it. I am happy it works with the extended battery which I just got yesterday. I was curious as to how well this case would protect, but you said that you had good luck with protection in the past, so that makes me feel a little better about the case.
    Yeah i've had the same case on my droid incredible for 2 years, and i have dropped it 4-5 times from 4-5 feet above the ground on a variety of hard surfaces without a scratch on my phone. . .it's got just enough silicone to absord the impact and enough of a lip to protect the screen from hitting the surface (unless it falls onto a corner or object sticking up). . . glad you like yours as well!

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Great Videos...the only one left is the Otterbox...

What the hell... I figured I'd ask... you purchased every other case, whats one more...LOL.. any recommendations on any "Blackberry" type of pouches...?

Thank you sir..
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickgsx View Post
    Great Videos...the only one left is the Otterbox...

What the hell... I figured I'd ask... you purchased every other case, whats one more...LOL.. any recommendations on any "Blackberry" type of pouches...?

Thank you sir..
    Hey Rick. . .haha, yeah I won't be getting the otterbox, so unfortunately no video, but here is a nice set of pics and review from another forum member that should give you a good idea of what to expect:

Got the Otterbox Defender : )

Cheers!

+1

I also got this glossy silicone case from Verizon and it is great. It's the same style case I had on my Droid X for about 17 months and that one served me very well. It fits the extended battery and standard battery backings equally snug. I got the slightly cheaper soft silicone case first but after 6 hours with it, I returned it and got this one instead. The soft one was ok but it made the phone feel/look thicker - especially around the edges of the screen. It made the phone uncomfortable to use in my opinion. This one added minimal bulk to the phone.

Thank you so much for this review!
    I've been thinking that I would love to find a case that is exactly like the one I have on my Droid Incredible...and I guess this is exactly what I want!

(I did not purchase the case for my old Incredible...someone else did and gave me the phone when they upgraded to an iphone)

Just got one of these today to add some grip to my phone for now. I can't see using this once the dock comes out since it would probably just be a pain to keep taking off and on. As of now though I think it's pretty nice and slide in and out of my pouch no problem. I like the peace of mind of the added grip and not having to worry so much setting it down on tables and such. I also like the idea that in the event of a drop at least there is now some sort of protection. Maybe I will just take it off at night and throw it back on in the morning.
    Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CBCstillmatic View Post
    Just got one of these today to add some grip to my phone for now. I can't see using this once the dock comes out since it would probably just be a pain to keep taking off and on. As of now though I think it's pretty nice and slide in and out of my pouch no problem. I like the peace of mind of the added grip and not having to worry so much setting it down on tables and such. I also like the idea that in the event of a drop at least there is now some sort of protection. Maybe I will just take it off at night and throw it back on in the morning.
    Can you share a picture of the pouch...? I've been looking for a blackberry type of belt clip pouch...

Thanks...

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

thanks for these videos, it made it easy to pick threw verizon's offerings of cases.

I went with the high gloss silicone in black, i just wish they had cut out the slots for the volume keys like they did for the power button

In the video you mentioned you might "shave" the case near the power button.

I'm noticing that my power cable doesn't slide all the way in, because of the opening not being big enough. Should I shave it to make it bigger? Would I just use a regular razor?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oresteez View Post
    In the video you mentioned you might "shave" the case near the power button.

I'm noticing that my power cable doesn't slide all the way in, because of the opening not being big enough. Should I shave it to make it bigger? Would I just use a regular razor?
    I'm sure you can use a razor or simple box cutter for it, haven't done it yet as it's not enough to bother me too much. . .when you say "power cable" do you mean the micro usb charger not going all the way in due to the case? The opening on the verizon silicone case is really big so i haven't had any problems with that part, but i'm sure you can do the same thing by shaving a bit off to make the opening bigger.

If i do shave some off, i'll make a video to show results, but for now, I'm happy with the case as is.

I know why I'm having a problem...

The wires I am using are some extra USB cables I bought from monoprice...

Apparently the connector is a little wider than the black part of the connector is a little wider than the one that comes with the phone, and it prevents me from pushing the cable in all the way. It causes the wire to fall back out.

I ended up using an exacto knife to cut the hole a little bigger. It's not pretty, but it worked and its still very securely in the case. I might make a straighter cut later tonight..I'll take some pics if I do.

Global Posts
    982 Global Posts

Hey all, new to the forums here. Switching over to Android after 4 years and 4 different BlackBerrys (good riddance).

I have both the Verizon Silicone Glossy Cover and the Diztronic Glossy TPU case and tried them on with the extended battery and both fit great. But the Diztronic is much better. Here's why.

1) The Verizon one is noticeably bulkier -- you can feel it in your hand. It's several millimeters longer, wider and thicker.

2) The Diztronic one is much better constructed. First, the seam along the edge on the Verizon one is prominent, meaning you can feel the TPU material. Whereas, it's subtle on the Diztronic one.

3) Verizon case's port cutouts are much bigger, for no apparent reason. It makes the phone's design look obnoxious. The Diztronic is closer and simply looks better, while maintaining sufficient space for the ports.

4) Verizon has a strange engraved design on the inside of the case. Diztronic is nice and clear.

5) The Verizon one slides around when you place it on a typical desk. The Diztronic one doesn't at all, even though the material on both cases feel identical in hand!

6) The extended battery causes a subtle gap in the lower back of the Verizon case, while the Diztronic is a snug (but not tight) fit.

7) The Verizon one costs $25! Diztronic is only $9.

8) The Verizon one is black and translucent, while you have choices of black and smoke on the Diztronic. I like the smoke case because it matches the color of the Nexus.

There have been complaints about the volume cutouts not being perfectly aligned on the Diztronic case, but it seems they have resolved that issue entirely. The volume cutouts are perfect on my Diztronic case and the buttons work flawlessly.

I've used TPU cases for all my smartphones since 2007 and they provide excellent protection against drops. I'm glad to find one that's well constructed for such a newly released phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickgsx View Post
    Can you share a picture of the pouch...? I've been looking for a blackberry type of belt clip pouch...

Thanks...
    Sorry didn't get a chance to take any pics. This is the side pouch I use.

AGF Black Leather Horizontal Case - Large Universal - Cell Phone Accessories - from AT&T

I also hope the using the word pouch instead of case gave the impression I was using something else. If so sorry about that. Anyway phone fits perfect in the above case/pouch no problem with the extended battery and silicone case on it.
    Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine