10-13-2014 06:28 AM
194 ... 34567 ...
tools
    You need to be rooted to use Rom Manager. Thats probably the problem.
    Yep.. that's what it sounds like.. use one of the guides that's stickied up top to unlock the bootloader and root the phone.

Here: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ed-1-22-a.html
    04-24-2012 10:17 PM
    You need to be rooted to use Rom Manager. Thats probably the problem.
    Yup. Flashing the OTA removes root unless you flashed a rooted one.
    Cyber Warrior likes this.
    04-24-2012 10:18 PM
    Does rooting completely wipe my phone? Im trying to make a backup and save everything because ive been running this phone since the day it came out, just havent tried customizing it yet.
    04-24-2012 10:21 PM
    Does rooting completely wipe my phone? Im trying to make a backup and save everything because ive been running this phone since the day it came out, just havent tried customizing it yet.
    Rooting doesn't, but unlocking the bootloader wipes everything including the SDcard.
    Cyber Warrior likes this.
    04-24-2012 10:23 PM
    Rooting won't but unlocking the bootloader will... Wugs toolkit guide will back everything up for you so you don't lose anything.
    NotDiabl0 likes this.
    04-24-2012 10:24 PM
    Appreciate the help, i take it unlocking the bootloader comes after you back it up...lol
    04-24-2012 10:25 PM
    Appreciate the help, i take it unlocking the bootloader comes after you back it up...lol
    lol yes. Like CW said, Wug's toolkit will backup everything for you. I also like to backup stuff manually (photos, downloads, etc.) just in case.

Enjoy your unlocked/rooted Nexus, like God and Andy Rubin intended it to be .
    04-24-2012 10:26 PM
    Cyber Warrior, is your guide that you posted above just for bootloading? Or is there a seperate Rooting guide, im downloading the Wug toolkit right now.
    04-24-2012 10:36 PM
    Both.. bootloader and root.
    04-24-2012 10:46 PM
    I guess im confused by the guides doing the bootloader first and then rooting.. unless im completely missing the point and i have to bootload before i root lol.
    04-24-2012 10:56 PM
    I guess im confused by the guides doing the bootloader first and then rooting.. unless im completely missing the point and i have to bootload before i root lol.
    Correct. You unlock first, then you root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    04-24-2012 11:02 PM
    Yes... bootloader needs to be unlocked before the phone can be rooted.

Unlocking the bootloader wipes thee entire phone including your internal storage (sd card). The rooting does not wipe anything.. its just a superuser file that gets flashed to the phone. I never used Wugs method (I used my guide) but it supposedly backs up your entire phone before unlocking the bootloader. I would plug your phone into a computer and back everything up also though just in case.
    04-24-2012 11:05 PM
    Okay, yah i dont want to lose anything. Now i just need to figure out how to back it up on my computer first....
    Keekers11 likes this.
    04-24-2012 11:12 PM
    Okay, yah i dont want to lose anything. Now i just need to figure out how to back it up on my computer first....
    If you're not using Wugs guide.. I'd recommend downloading MyBackup Pro from the app store.. backs up call logs, messages, bookmarks, etc.

And for your sd card... go into the phones settings.. development.. turn on usb debugging.. connect phone to computer with usb cord that came with the phone.. go to the phone disc drive (folder) on your computer (My Computer) and copy and paste the folder to somewhere on your computer. When you're done hacking the phone.. move the files back onto the phone.
    NotDiabl0 likes this.
    04-24-2012 11:21 PM
    None of the files that are on the Nexus "Hard drive" would effect anything if i decided to bootload and root. As in the files that are all on the sd card are for apps or music or contacts and would have no effects on the actual os system on the phone.
    04-25-2012 08:35 AM
    I love you... Liquid here I come!
    05-16-2012 11:18 AM
    I unlocked and rooted using this method. Now I want to unroot. How do I do it? Thanks!!
    06-02-2012 10:25 AM
    I unlocked and rooted using this method. Now I want to unroot. How do I do it? Thanks!!
    This guide isn't his unlocking/rooting guide.

This is ==> [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Wug's Toolkit, also advisable ==> http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ed-1-22-a.html

For your current dilemma, I suggest getting Wug's and flashing stock recovery. If you want to not go through all of those steps, simply manually install the OTA.
    Cyber Warrior and zero neck like this.
    06-02-2012 10:28 AM
    For your current dilemma, I suggest getting Wug's and flashing stock recovery.
    Warning to others - if you use Wug's to flash stock + unroot, it wipes your phone
    06-02-2012 02:52 PM
    When i try to flash clockworkmod recovery a popup appears that says " An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!" Any suggestions?
    06-08-2012 12:22 PM
    When i try to flash clockworkmod recovery a popup appears that says " An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!" Any suggestions?
    Do you have the superuser app in your app drawer? Check to see if there are any updates available for it in the Play Store. Also try rebooting your phone... and try using another app that requires root privileges like Titanium Backup and see what happens. You can also try uninstalling ROM Manager and reinstalling it... then try to flash CWM Recovery again.
    06-08-2012 12:40 PM
    Do you have the superuser app in your app drawer? Check to see if there are any updates available for it in the Play Store. Also try rebooting your phone... and try using another app that requires root privileges like Titanium Backup and see what happens. You can also try uninstalling ROM Manager and reinstalling it... then try to flash CWM Recovery again.
    I have superuser in the app drawer. I tried titanium backup and it says that it could not acquire root privileges. I used your unlock bootloader and root guide but maybe i did something wrong.
    06-08-2012 12:48 PM
    I have superuser in the app drawer. I tried titanium backup and it says that it could not acquire root privileges. I used your unlock bootloader and root guide but maybe i did something wrong.
    I need to update that guide to include the instructions for updating the su.zip due to the change from the 4.0.4 update.

Here's the new su.zip if you know how to push it through ADB... otherwise the easiest thing to do right now is to use Wug Fresh's toolkit that's stickied on top of the forum page.

I'll update the other guide tonight to reflect the changes from the 4.0.4 update.
    gary keels likes this.
    06-08-2012 02:04 PM
    Thanks for this guide! I am looking forward to getting started...as soon as I figure out where to start

I know that everything is in steps but another member's experience confused me a little. I want to make sure I have everything backed up, especially because the Nexus doesn't have a SD card.
    06-08-2012 05:08 PM
    Thanks for this guide! I am looking forward to getting started...as soon as I figure out where to start

I know that everything is in steps but another member's experience confused me a little. I want to make sure I have everything backed up, especially because the Nexus doesn't have a SD card.
    Yea... don't worry about that too much. The only time that's an issue is when the phone (boot loader) is first unlocked.. erases everything. Once you're unlocked and rooted everything is smooth sailing as far as flashing different ROMs. Just keep making nandroid backups before you mess with anything and you'll be fine.
    06-08-2012 06:59 PM
194 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD