Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: [ROM][4.1.1][AOSP] Codename Android 3.0.0 [JB][07/31/2012]

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    I'm late to the party. What's the back story?
    Just Google "Blackdroid" and "Cyanogenmod" together. You'll see .
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

ROM
    Rooted/Unlocked Stk 4.4.3

It is a shame as 3.1 runs like butter. He is giving credit where due this time, but I guess too little, too late for the Android community he pissed off as he is an Internet refugee now. Once AOKP is at its first stable build, back to it I shall go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    [making a phone so big] "you can't get your hand around it"[ helps, but that] "no one's going to buy that." - Steve Jobs

The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isnt because we dont want to hit [a lower] price point, Jobs said. Its because we think the screen is too small to express the software. As a software driven company, we think about the software strategies first. - again, Steve Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Just Google "Blackdroid" and "Cyanogenmod" together. You'll see .
    Read it. Understand now. I see it from fresh, objective eyes and may view the tussle differently.

My only comment: Credit is overrated. It's for the self absorbed. It's for the movie industry where they give credit to grips for goodness sake. I'm not saying what Blackdroid did was correct, it wasn't. But making a stink on a public forum first, without privately contacting them, brings that person down to Blackdroid's level.

Hey, JMO, nothing to get hung about. (Credit to John Lennon)
    ConTejas and dmmarck like this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Read it. Understand now. I see it from fresh, objective eyes and may view the tussle differently.

My only comment: Credit is overrated. It's for the self absorbed. It's for the movie industry where they give credit to grips for goodness sake. I'm not saying what Blackdroid did was correct, it wasn't. But making a stink on a public forum first, without privately contacting them, brings that person down to Blackdroid's level.

I hear ya. When I first heard about it I was more taken aback with how much coverup there was, particularly from that forum. That's beyond me. Listen, if he takes he takes. If he steals he steals. It happens. But to cover it up and act like they did before finally making it right?

There's nothing virtuous about that, IMHO, so I'll gladly support devs and places that handle things differently, and in my eyes, a bit more virtuously .
    Thanked by:
    SOTK 

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

If you spent hundreds of hours building and perfecting a ROM, made the source public so anyone could use it, then saw someone publish it as their own without even a mention of your name, you would probably not think that credit is overrated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    SOTK 
    VAVA Mk2 likes this.
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

The lockscreen weather has been on CM10 for weeks now, btw.
    Thanks, I caught that a day afterwards.. (and the dork award goes too....me)??? Lol.

Beamed from my GneX via TaPaTalK.
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    If you spent hundreds of hours building and perfecting a ROM, made the source public so anyone could use it, then saw someone publish it as their own without even a mention of your name, you would probably not think that credit is overrated.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    Thanks, I caught that a day afterwards.. (and the dork award goes too....me)??? Lol.

Beamed from my GneX via TaPaTalK.
    No problem, happens to the best of us . Where do you think he got it from?

Also, AOKP has lockscreen weather now. Looks a bit different in setup. I appreciate the little colored icons/pictures.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/CM10

I saw. Oh well. I'm a bit surprised RW change his screen name (back), but alas, he committed the ultimate sin and he did it to the one group of devs that you don't want to do it to.

Sucks for him, obviously, that he can't really get past that, but I certainly understand why.
    Yep. He had a fresh start going...kinda. I'm all for new beginnings, but if you're gonna reinvent yourself and start fresh, you need to do just that. He would have been better off letting "BlackDroid" die and turning over a completely new leaf.

I've flashed a few of his Roms. In fact, I was trying out his latest when all of this happened. I usually don't install Roms made by Devs who don't put out their own code...kind of a principle thing for me, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I will say this for Codename...he has a knack for taking others' work and making it work better. I had no issues with the features of his Rom and the Rom itself was very stable. I found this interesting since the features were unstable on a lot of the Roms he kanged from! What I'm saying is that there is *some* skill there. Its too bad that he couldn't have found a way to *work* with other teams and devs but there is where the problem lies. His actions and behaviors have made that impossible. Too bad really.

Device: Galaxy Nexus, Transformer Prime
    Rom/Kernel: AOKP/ImoseyOn Lean Kernel, CM10
    JkdJedi, VAVA Mk2 and ohiomoto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post

You'd be surprised at the things I've accomplished that I haven't received credit for. But credit isn't important to me.

I think it better we move on. This kind of discourse isn't what I intended when I asked about this guy.
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by SOTK View Post
    Yep. He had a fresh start going...kinda. I'm all for new beginnings, but if you're gonna reinvent yourself and start fresh, you need to do just that. He would have been better off letting "BlackDroid" die and turning over a completely new leaf.

I've flashed a few of his Roms. In fact, I was trying out his latest when all of this happened. I usually don't install Roms made by Devs who don't put out their own code...kind of a principle thing for me, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I will say this for Codename...he has a knack for taking others' work and making it work better. I had no issues with the features of his Rom and the Rom itself was very stable. I found this interesting since the features were unstable on a lot of the Roms he kanged from! What I'm saying is that there is *some* skill there. Its too bad that he couldn't have found a way to *work* with other teams and devs but there is where the problem lies. His actions and behaviors have made that impossible. Too bad really.

+1

(He did show some skill) Don't know him personally but actions speak louder than words.

(All Cdename/blackdroid threads removed from Rootz).

I'm a programmer. Most of us hardly ever write code from scratch. Good programmers are lazy. They take something that already works and spend their time making it better or simply making it suite their needs. If it's open, it's fair game. When we do actually write something useful from scratch, very few people in the world know about it.

Think of all of the nameless devs who built Linux or Android. You don't hear them crying about it. Look at Peppermint. It's based on Lubuntu which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Each distro is spun a little different and the devs do a lot of coding to make it all work and they freely share their code. No one is crying about it. I always say, "There's no crying in Open Source."
    ConTejas likes this.

ohiomoto,

I was a computer science major at UCLA. It was part of the Engineering college. The engineering majors used to make fun of us by saying, "Programmers copy, engineers invent."

Now that I've been in business for many years I've come to realize that almost nobody invents and everybody copies. I wish I'd known that then, I wouldn't have taken the abuse from the engineering students.
    ohiomoto and ConTejas like this.

I was a big fan of UltimateDroid for the Droid 1 back in the day. I donated money to blackdroid frequently, then he just disappeared without saying a word. Put a bad taste in my mouth. That being said, blackdroid's ROMs have always given me the most features with the least amount of bugs. I constantly try out new ROMs, and none have run as flawlessly as blackdroids. Yes, he just takes code that other devs have created, but he seems to make it all run better than the people who created it. Will I ever donate money to him again? Not a chance, but as long as his ROMs make my phone run the best with the most features, I will use his stuff.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

So the thread was closed at Rootz for what he did in OG Droid days? I'm confused...

No, I believe he requested the thread to be closed.

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Was there any reason why? I downloaded 3.1 but am reluctant to flash since its closed :/

The ROM works fine. Flash it if you like. I think it's closed because someone's feelings got hurt or something. It will probably show up again somewhere.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/CM10

To clarify, Codename, aka theBlackDroid, asked for his thread to be closed at Rootzwiki. He was not asked to leave or forced out to my knowledge. Its possible he was being asked to jump through some hoops given his behavior and past; however, he left of his own accord from what I gathered.

If anybody wants to know more about the past or history of TheBlackDroid, you will need to research it yourself. I won't say more. It can be easily found on the web.

I will leave it up to all of you to make your own assessments of the situation.

Device: Galaxy Nexus, Transformer Prime
    Rom/Kernel: AOKP/ImoseyOn Lean Kernel, CM10
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

CM is arguable thEE Mother Of All Roms, the Zohan, tHe GodFAther, His Magesty, well, you get what I'm saying. Don't kang thier sh&t and say it's yours and then step on the them at the same time.

Nah he didn;t do anything wrng to deserve his exhile
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by imnotajedi View Post
    No, I believe he requested the thread to be closed.
    My question is why? It seemed like people were willing to give him a second chance and 3.1 runs amazingly stable with lots of features he gave credit for where due.

[making a phone so big] "you can't get your hand around it"[ helps, but that] "no one's going to buy that." - Steve Jobs

The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isnt because we dont want to hit [a lower] price point, Jobs said. Its because we think the screen is too small to express the software. As a software driven company, we think about the software strategies first. - again, Steve Jobs
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by VAVA Mk2 View Post
    My question is why? It seemed like people were willing to give him a second chance and 3.1 runs amazingly stable with lots of features he gave credit for where due.

The only reason I can think of is CM being so massive that no one wants to tick them off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Like said above he requested it be removed based on the past. He wanted to keep his ROM of that site for now.(read his twitter account). Anyways you can get it from his site codenameandroid.com but there based on his twitter account the servers are being upgraded or something. The site seems to be down as of the last few minutes. Last night he just posted 3.2.0 (already flashed it).
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Like said above he requested it be removed based on the past. He wanted to keep his ROM of that site for now.(read his twitter account). Anyways you can get it from his site codenameandroid.com but there based on his twitter account the servers are being upgraded or something. The site seems to be down as of the last few minutes. Last night he just posted 3.2.0 (already flashed it).
    No doubt; I was just responding to Rootz' general attitude towards him, as well as changing his handle from CNA to blackdroid.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

ROM

Sweet! I will update this post later and flash later today! For now, heading to Silopanna Music Festival to get my music on.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

ROM

No doubt; I was just responding to Rootz' general attitude towards him, as well as changing his handle from CNA to blackdroid.
    He changed it back to Blackdroid?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast