Let's Get Positive

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
When I bought the Bionic, I was left a bit disappointed. I had an opportunity to return it but I opted to stick with it since I thought it was good enough for me. Turned out my buying impulses are stronger than my will.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Nexus because it's a Nexus on Verizon! But more so, Ice Cream Sandwich seems to be a major step up from previous iterations and I like the potential for customization, tweaking, and long-term update support from Google. Since Verizon skipped out on the previous Nexus devices, this would be the first in hopefully a long succession of Nexus phones on Big Red.

As far as features are concerned, I anticipate on using the camera quite extensively since I tend to be picture happy. I also like the changes to the UI (action bars, gesture controls, etc), lock screen (face unlock looks promising), and of course the amazing looking HD screen.

I'm very, very excited. :D

I'm in the same boat. Was so anxious to abandon the WinMo 6.5 phone I had previously just to get onto an Android phone that I too took the plunge on a Bionic. I've already had it replaced once by Costco & still having the same issues with the replacement. So now I'm just trying to be patient until the GN is released. Was so glad to see the leak about it being available at Costco! I just hope u can hold out with the frustrations of the Bionic until the Nexus is finally released!

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the people who stuck around since May for the Bionic, but who lost interest the more it got delayed. In the meantime I had a chance to test the Droid Charge on Verizon and realized that their coverage is so poor in my area that I wouldn't get respectable reception pretty much anywhere. I still would've compromised for the Bionic, but we all know what came of it. With announcements of devices like the Rezound and Razr, it felt silly not to wait another couple of months.

Sadly though I'm done with Verizon; too expensive for me and I'm not getting good enough service to justify the costs, so the LTE Galaxy Nexus won't be for me. However I'm eyeing the international version and going with perhaps T-Mo for the time being (great reception in this area).

Hmmm, pretty much the opposite for me where I am. I've used a smartphone for over ten years now. Was with Windows Mobile since just about version 1.x. At the time that seemed like pretty good stuff but then the iphone came out but ATT I didn't think was a real option out here in the boonies where I live. An ATT rep told me that coverage would be great, speed would be fast and I would love the service, so I bought myself and my wife each an iphone. Well, the coverage sucked, the speed was literally 1x (not even edge) and I was with ATT less than a month. I switched to TMO but found that service was just about the same. I had had Sprint before this and wasn't anxious to return. It was about this time that the Verizon/Alltel deal went through and VZW now had coverage in my area.

You're right about it being more expensive, but unlike your situation, VZW coverage where I am is unmatched by anyone, it is first rate.

When I first joined up with VZW I bought an Omnia and hated it, switched it out for an Imagio and realized that I was just tired of Windows Mobile. For those who complain about lag, try WM, version 6.5 and earlier. I then got my first android phone which was a Dinc. It took a little getting used to but I like the phone. I got a TB when it finally was released but was never very happy with it, too many issues, too heavy and when gingerbread hit and it lost notifications that was a deal breaker for me. They may not be important to everyone but notifications for me are absolutely critical.

For me, a phone is both a great portable toy and a needed business device so it has to be fun to use and very reliable. I'm tired of Sense and TouchWiz, and Blur and all the overlays. I just want a good phone, that gets upgrades as needed. Both HTC and worse Samsung take forever to upgrade and when they do finally come out, we get an updated OS with the same old overlay. I figure its time for me to decide what goes on the phone and what doesn't go on the phone, not the manufacturer or Verizon.

I'm hoping to see the phone hits the streets within the next couple of weeks but if it doesn't I'll manage to carry on until it does.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a BB Storm 2 and before that had a BB Pearl, only get a new phone when my 2 year contracts are up so this will be only my 3rd smartphone. Going from a flip phone to the BB Pearl 4 years ago I freaking loved it! That is why I stayed with BB when my contract was up, I didn't really know anything about Android and iAnything was something I didn't want.

I came here about mid year and started looking around on the forums, first I wanted the TB then the Bionic. I was going crazy wanting 4G LTE in a phone, lucky for me my contract was not up when these 2 phones came out and then I started reading about the GN, the RAZR and Rezound.

Being new to android the ICS kind of had me at hello, add the large screen, LTE, and just the looks of the phone and I was pretty much hooked. I plan on using it as a web browser, streaming (Netflix, hoping Xfinity, HBO), music (on phone and streaming), renting movies, using it with my laptop (once my mifi contract is up), some apps and games. I'm out with work anywhere from 14 to 18 hours a day so I will have plenty of time a day to use it.

I'm doing pretty good with waiting and not going crazy and it cracks me up to see some of this people going crazy and losing it over a phone not being released sooner. Chill out people at this point we all know it's coming :)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have been a Verizon customer for some time now and ever since the first Nexus I have always wanted one. I started with the og Droid and since Verizon didn't have a Nexus I went with the Dinc then Bolt. I'm a very big HTC/Sense fan but the idea of having a pure Google Nexus has me very excited and better yet I have an upgrade available. I'm not really in a hurry so when ever it gets released within reason I will be happy to wait.

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone. I've had the 4S for a couple weeks, now and I'm noticing that the more I use it, the less I like it. I'm finding that I really don't like the hard lines and sharp edges of the phone, and I wish it was bigger. I'm coming from the 3GS, so I'm very familiar with Apple and the iPhone and this is just not feeling like that big of an upgrade. I'm finding that the big innovation, Siri, is basically a novelty. I rarely ever use it, and when I do it doesn't really work all that well. Very hit or miss. I also found that iCloud was/is a big mess. So much so that I just turned it off. I already used Google Sync to sync my contacts with my gmail account, and iCloud screwed up most of my contacts. I had to go back into gmail to fix my contacts, and then I turned iCloud sync off. So, basically I have an iPhone 4S, that doesn't use the 4S features.

This is exactly why I'm seriously considering moving from my current 3GS to a GN. The 4S was a huge disappointment, particularly in its lack of LTE. Besides the faster processor, the 4S adds very little I would actually want that I'm not currently getting with my 3GS running iOS 5.0.

I know some folks here are disappointed that the GN isn't necessarily all it was hyped to be, but for someone new to Android it seems like a perfect starter choice--LTE, ICS, pure Google, very good specs (even if not tops in all areas). I'm sure Samsung could have packed the GN with even more good stuff, but they have other phones they also want to sell, as well as multiple carriers they have to keep happy. It must be quite a delicate corporate political dance that goes on with each phone's development cycle and launch.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
For me, the Nexus will be my first Android phone. So why Nexus? I'm a fan of the zero-bloat that the Google phone will come with, and prompt updating is a big bonus for me. I'm not one to jump phones very frequently, so the fact that the Nexus has the most current version of Android is also a huge plus for me.

As far as what I'll use it for, I suppose I'll use it like anyone else would. I'm not on the top rung of techy-ness, so short of downloading a few games and other helpful apps is about the extent of what I'll do with this phone. I'm a CPA with a below-average short-term memory, so a great calendar (with reminders) is critical to me. I'm constantly forgetting appointments if they are more than 1 week out. Beyond that, I'll just be playing around the Android market.

I started in the smartphone world using Palm Treos, but jumped out of that market when Verizon spiked their data plans on smartphones up to around $100/month (excessive for my use). The new tiered packages coupled with my 18% company discount is enough to get me back into a smartphone after enduring 2 years with a Samsung Rogue (it has been a solid phone though).

So, like the rest of you, I'll continue to wait (patiently/impatiently) for the Nexus to be released.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If, like me, you were waiting for the release of the Thunderbolt, with all the fits and starts, BestBuy ads and then non release, then you remember how tense things were getting in that forum. Along came the (in)famous super long thread where people just kind of posted what they were going to do, how impatient they were waiting and really meeting up with everyone else, getting to know each other. It didn't make the wait go away but it did make it less tiresome and by the time the TB was released we all kind of knew each other.

So, here's a plan for this thread. Let's get positive in here. Why are you waiting so anxiously for the Nexus? How do you plan to use the phone, what features do you think you will use the most? Have you had a previous Nexus phone, and if so, how do you think this is going to compare?

Tell us where you work, what you do, how your phone fits in to your lifestyle. How much is it getting to you having to wait for this release, and do you think you'll live to actually get the phone in hand?? :D

I was sad to see that this thread had dropped down the page to be replaced with the more negative, so I'm jumping back in here.

With each day that goes by, I get a little more excited for this device, because I know we are one day closer to it becoming available to us. The little things like cases for it showing up in VZW stores are very encouraging.

For any of us that have been a VZW customer for years, this device is a BIG deal. We haven't had the opportunity to experience a Nexus, as those on other carriers have. On top of that, this looks to be the most prolific release of Android to date, and we're getting it first on the best network. I haven't been this enthusiastic about a piece of tech since getting my first NES console as a kid.

I came to Android from Windows Mobile. I did enjoy the ability to edit the registry, and the power of the OS as a whole, but it was very lacking when it came to multimedia. Android seemed to have everything I wanted, so I got the OG. I did attempt to buy the Nexus One from Google directly first, however. That didn't pan out... obviously.

ROMs and kernels and themes later my upgrade became available. Thought about the Thunderbolt, but after reading reviews decided it wasn't for me. Along comes the Bionic, I succumbed to the hypebeast and purchased via telesales sight unseen. Had it for about a week, and decided that wasn't for me either. I went back to my old faithful OG, but missed the speed and larger sized screen.... so I bought a DX on eBay. It is currently serving me well. Sensei Mod 602 is currently driving it.

My background has always been a kind of an underground geek. I have always tinkered with things. I HAVE to know how things work. I'm not a full blown techie, because I don't have time. I am a full time father to the most wonderful four year old boy a parent could ask for.

I work as an industrial electrician in a manufacturing facility. We make specialty tin boxes.... such as Altoids. I am head of the electrical department on the engineering team, and am responsible for the design and programming of all of our automated equipment. Very fun job.

I visit the forums here regularly looking for Nexus info. I may not visit as often once I actually have the device, but have definitely chosen the AC forums as my "home".

I like craft beers. Light beer is as bad as country music, and someone should put a stop to both.

I sometimes make posts while somewhat inebriated. Apologies :-D

Again though, super stoked about this device. A big hat tip to all of you that recognize its significance. I'm right there with you.

Galaxy NEXUS!!!!

*customized tapatalk signature*

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Was so anxious to abandon the WinMo 6.5 phone I had previously just to get onto an Android phone that I too took the plunge on a Bionic. I've already had it replaced once by Costco & still having the same issues with the replacement. So now I'm just trying to be patient until the GN is released. Was so glad to see the leak about it being available at Costco! I just hope u can hold out with the frustrations of the Bionic until the Nexus is finally released!

I rooted my Bionic and loaded up Liberty with an ICS theme. So far it's made the experience of the Bionic much more tolerable until I get the Nexus. :)

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I work as an industrial electrician in a manufacturing facility. We make specialty tin boxes.... such as Altoids. I am head of the electrical department on the engineering team, and am responsible for the design and programming of all of our automated equipment. Very fun job.

I visit the forums here regularly looking for Nexus info. I may not visit as often once I actually have the device, but have definitely chosen the AC forums as my "home".

I like craft beers. Light beer is as bad as country music, and someone should put a stop to both.

Quite a few years ago I had closed up one business and was taking some time off to figure out what I wanted to do next. I had run a very early BBS that I started up back in 1981. So, to kill some time I started it up again. We offered email to users but the internet was not such a well known thing back then, mainly a few techies and crazies. My wife asked me how many people I thought might want internet access and I told here, "maybe 20 or 30 in this area" and she told me I was crazy and I needed to offer internet access as a business. So, I did. She was right and I was wrong and suddenly life changed pretty dramatically for us.

As for beer, I'm not really much of a beer drinker anymore but quite afew years ago, for some reason I decided that I needed to learn how to make my own beer. I did a LOT of reading, bought a lot of equipment and starting making my own beer. I specialized in two beers that I made regularly. One was a pilsner, golden color, nice flavor, just enough bite with a touch of hops in the flavor. The other one was a dark beer that took some experimenting to finally get it down. I brewed a full bodied dark beer and just before bottling it I would add some pure lactose to the beer and then bottle it. Once bottled the lactose would no longer ferment or change. What I ended up with was a good, full bodied dark beer with the edge taken off by the lactose. I always said that ijt was like drinking a beer malt except that it really wasn't sweet, I only added enough of the lactose to really smooth it out. It was really good and really rich and really full bodied. I haven't thought about my beer making in a long time, wonder if i should take it up again? It was a lot of work and I don't know if I want to do that again. When I used to make it I think I gave the vast majority of it away because people loved the damn stuff and were always asking for some.

My other hobby/avocation is music and has been since I was a very young kid. I came from a family that listened to all kinds of music and starting me playing guitar (mostly country) and piano (classical piano from some serious music teachers). I thought about making music for a living but didn't do that. I've written about it in some other thread so I won't go into all that stuff again.

The tech side of me loves my phones, don't know why, I have all the tech toys I could want but I have always loved my phones. Bought my first smartphone a long, long time ago. It was a Windows Mobile version 1.something, maybe even 1.0. Used WM for years until it just completely made me crazy. Switched to iphone which lasted less than a month and then finally came to android. Have had a lot of fun with android phones.

I'm tired to all the overlays and am ready for vanilla, that way I can finally make it my own experience and not what HTC, Moto or anyone else thinks I should have it.

I'm anxiously waiting and hoping for sooner rather than later but I get it when it is finally released. I doubt that it can be too much longer at this point.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Music also has a major role in my life (hope my country music comment didn't offend you). I don't play nearly as often as I used to, but I do pick up my bass once or twice a week. Usually don't play for more than 15 minutes or so. I too, thought about music as a career. I wasn't ambitious about it at all, and didn't want to play as many gigs as my bandmates did. It is definitely fun to throw down on some punk tunes now and again though. My son refers to The Misfits as "noise".

I have never attempted to make my own brew, but have always thought I would someday. I'm sure I will... I finally went skydiving, so I'm sure I'll get around to homebrew eventually too. If you ever do make another batch, let me know. I'd love to try it, sounds great. Malty, caramel brews are my favorites. Flying Dog "Dogtoberfest" is phenomenal. For an everyday brew, can't go wrong with Newcastle Brown. Mmmm mmm good.

Other hobbies I no longer have time for include photography, skimboarding, surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, bmx, mountain biking, kayaking and most recently skydiving. Looking forward to when my son is old enough to do them with me. We do ride bikes, and go out in the kayaks though.

Congrats on your little enterprise, love to hear success stories. Very cool. Especially when it's unexpected like that! Kudos, man.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I depend on my phone 100%. I have my own business and am on the road the majority of the time. I cannot tell you how great it is to have a mini computer that can also make calls. I am looking forward to this phone for the simple reason that it is "bloat free" and I will get updated. Best of all Verizon will not dictate what comes pre installed on my phone. My wife complains that I spend more time with my phone than with her, I think she may be right!

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
im super excited to finally be able to own a nexus device. honestly never thought vzw would ever see one. also very much looking forward to ICS. think this might be the first device that ive not been itching to throw a custom rom on right away, as it looks like stock ICS has a lot of features that could previously only be delivered through those custom roms (though im still going to probably root it immediately).

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, beer making again. Might be something to do while waiting for this Nexus. There are now beer making kits out there but I wonder what kind of beer you would get from those. Probably ok stuff because its sounds a little like buying frozen dough and making bread. You're not really making bread, just baking it and you're probably really not making beer.

I might take a look at doing it again just for S**ts and grins but I would have to buy all the stuff again, like storage containers with the air locks, bottle and capping machine. My wife wouldn't care if I made beer but I wonder how thrilled she would be with all the space it takes up.

I also made soda back then but only once because I did something wrong and the bottles all started exploding. That made a real mess and I don't think I want to try that again especially since they were stored in our closet. My wife was so happy!!

Gonna keep this short today because I've come down with some kind of creeping crud and feel like crap. I'll check out the Nexus forums' later but I don't think I'll be posting for a couple days.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess I need a double dose of this thread.

LOL

I know I do. I started this thread and then came down with some nasty crud last week. Haven't really been posting but I've been reading and there are some really nutty threads and ideas floating around the GN forums!!

I have to admit I'm really anxious to get the GN but I will when it comes out. I also have a life outside of my damn phone.

I went up to Harrah's Casino in Kansas City on Saturday because I love a bit of gambling. That was a big mistake, by the time I got home I was even more sick and by Sunday morning I was flat on my back wondering if I would live through the day. Just got back from the doctor and she said that I would live through this infection and I would be here to get the GNexus when it finally hits the shelves (required topic reference).

I'm finding a lot of the other threads entertaining just because of the craziness being expressed in them. Conspiracy theories, dreaded corporate types from Verizon are out to deliberately screw up our lives. Oh my, the sky is falling!!

Ok, done my bit here and now I'm heading off to bed, and worse, just to sleep in it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non