4G hotspot? Provided with the GN?

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't see this on the list of similar threads (and don't recall it being discussed here in the GN forum), so excuse the duplicity, should this have already been discussed.

IIRC, VZW offered the Hotspot feature as a bundled app/service on my Fascinate. Do you have to install their app on the GN to utilize this feature, or does anyone know if the GN serves this natively?

botero

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
It should be on there natively since it is a nexus. The Xoom has it baked into honeycomb and verizon does nothing to block it. I'm pretty sure it is part of the deal of having a nexus on their network. If they do manage to disable it, you can guarantee someone bakes it into a pure AOSP ROM.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
The Xoom uses the same plans as the Personal MiFi devices, so tethering is included.

As far as the Nexus goes, I would bet that VZW will charge for the service and you will not be able to use it without paying for it.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom uses the same plans as the Personal MiFi devices, so tethering is included.

As far as the Nexus goes, I would bet that VZW will charge for the service and you will not be able to use it without paying for it.

Now, that would suck. But, understandable, since they aren't making any revenue off bundled services, I guess.

Appreciate the responses, guys. I use the hotspot occasionally, but really don't relish being charged extra for simply using my wireless connection. Heaven forbid...

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
hmmm. I don't really see how they'd be able to stop you? i mean there are plenty of 3rd party apps that work fine. heck even the HTC app that i've seen on some roms for my inc works fine without having to pay extra for it.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I've never teathered before, but I'm interested since I have an hp touchpad thats wifi only.
So if this nexus is like the others, youre saying I should be able to be riding on a bus with my nexus in my pocket, have hotspot turned on, and connect my touchpad to it for free?
And I have unlimited data..so it shouldn't cost me anything extra?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will find a way to block it since that's an additional service. If you had the service would you keep it or cancel it if the GN did it for free? Nuff said.

The Xoom does have it baked into honeycomb but the plan from Verizon includes hotspot.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
On my unlocked GSM version I can tether without tethering plan straight out of settings, at no additional cost:
KYgyC.png

Last edited:

DessVZW

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If tethering is an additional fee, you can probably just side-load Wireless Tether. I have a ton of different .apks saved from XDA over the years. That's the kind of stuff you keep backed up in a nice, safe place.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Rennat

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
looks like occording to P3Droid on twitter he said that the Wifi Wireless Tethering for root users does not work on the Nexus.

Don't know how long it will take for them to port/fix it on ICS

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
looks like occording to P3Droid on twitter he said that the Wifi Wireless Tethering for root users does not work on the Nexus.

Don't know how long it will take for them to port/fix it on ICS

It doesn't work on purpose on the Verizon model. This isn't anything new for tethering in OS's on Verizon's network...

Rennat

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't work on purpose on the Verizon model. This isn't anything new for tethering in OS's on Verizon's network...

Little bit of confusion here.

So has Verizon found a permeant way to block Wifi Tether? or has the team just not got their hands on it to find a way around it?

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted droid incredible on Verizon's network...I can do wifi tether just fine

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Sprint removed it from the nexus s4g iirc.
is USB tethering traceable?

Wifi tether just started working on the bionic I bet they can get it up on the nexus

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Same here.

They can block you by analyzing your web traffic and the types of data you're transmitting. The fact they haven't yet is because they are not aggressively pursuing everyone that does that... yet. But one day, they will come after everyone as they came after some of the abusers previously.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo