Extra Battery/NFC Question

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I have always been a power user and consistently with my phones have always kept one or two extra batteries on hand throughout the day. Mainly because I hate the feel of my phones using extended gargantuan batteries. With that in mind I have been jonesing for a Nexus on Verizon for forever and am prepped to get this baby ASAP! However, since the NFC is in the battery, how if at all will that effect the device when swapping out batteries? How is the NFC tied to the phone? Is there a maximum number of NFC's per device? Any help would be greatly appreciated. All in all, I most likely will not use the NFC for much anyway, but it would be good to know. :cool:

DessVZW

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You need to have an NFC enabled spare battery, that's all. The antenna is in the battery itself, which connects into the phone when the battery is plugged in (that's my understanding, anyway). I think if you stick with OEM Samsung batteries for spares... you'll be ok - just check that they're NFC-enabled first!

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
^ Yep it seems its just the antenna inside the battery which is nifty.

So you just need a NFC battery, I guess they are only made for the Gnex right now so I am sure any battery made for the Gnex will have it.

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey a thread with out speculation and hatred... I'm in. I wonder how this it's going to affect the price of the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
^ Should be less then 5 bucks, Which is huge profits for them already just for a small antenna, but I am feeling a more even 10. Or maybe they wont increase it at all.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I still prefer the external USB battery route, it just makes things simpler for me. I've got a pair of 10kmAH batteries in my laptop bag and I can charge my devices in my pocket fairly easily. The best part is that I need to spend a whopping $0 on batteries every time I buy a new phone. The downside is that if you're really low you get tethered to a roughly phone-sized device for a while, but a little planning prevents that problem.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
^ Should be less then 5 bucks, Which is huge profits for them already just for a small antenna, but I am feeling a more even 10. Or maybe they wont increase it at all.

If you compare the battery doors for the Nexus S (which houses NFC stuff), the cost difference is $20 between the two (Samsung parts in both instances).