Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tee312
  • 1 Post By jerrod6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Official Google Updates

Galaxy Nexus support in AOSP - Android Building | Google Groups

Looks like Verizon's version will receive updates directly from Google after all. Good news indeed, maybe Verizon hasn't completely screwed up the Nexus name.
    Thanked by 2:
    TerryMasters likes this.

i am still curious how updates will be administered. would Google administer updates through VZWs network, or through the internet? does anyone know about this?

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Default Re: Official Google Updates

Being in communication engineering myself, I would say the OS development would come from Google then push through Verizon, after a very brief testing. Any radio tweak would come from VZW, I'm sure it would be tested with the OS but I don't know if Google would do that testing or if VZW would handle that in-house.
    Thanked by:

So two years from now will Verizon still accept Google's update push or will they decide that they don't consumers to have any more updates and force them to buy new phones?
    greydarrah likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    So two years from now will Verizon still accept Google's update push or will they decide that they don't consumers to have any more updates and force them to buy new phones?
    The update will be coming directly from Google's servers, according to that post. I would say that any OS related updates will come directly from Google, similar to the other Nexi, and anything concerning LTE/Radios/Whatever else will come from Verizon/Samsung.

Either way, this is strong evidence that the Galaxy Nexus will be updated via Google, just the way it should be.

Let's not act like people won't be foaming at the mouth for a newer device with even higher specs in two years. I mean, many people here switch devices every few months, and some even think that this Nexus isn't futureproofed enough in terms of specs.

At SOME POINT.. Google will stop updating this phone.

I am trying to stop from buying a phone once a year.
    It seems like after a year a phone feels so old to me even when I root it.
    Never had a Nexus though and as many updates as this phone should receive...still wondering should I buy it off contract though. Decisions decisions...anyone know how much this will be off contract?

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDuke0619 View Post
    I am trying to stop from buying a phone once a year.
    It seems like after a year a phone feels so old to me even when I root it.
    Never had a Nexus though and as many updates as this phone should receive...still wondering should I buy it off contract though. Decisions decisions...anyone know how much this will be off contract?
    $650 most likely according to Costco and VZW. Best Buy may have it priced differently.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tee312 View Post
    Galaxy Nexus support in AOSP - Android Building | Google Groups

Looks like Verizon's version will receive updates directly from Google after all. Good news indeed, maybe Verizon hasn't completely screwed up the Nexus name.
    We already knew this. This is not news.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapex View Post
    $650 most likely according to Costco and VZW. Best Buy may have it priced differently.
    Do you know if its true that BB will price match VWZ's off contract price as long as it is in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    We already knew this. This is not news.
    Who knew this? I think everyone assumed it. Personally I'm thankful to the OP for posting this because I tend to expect the worst.

I can imagine this JBQ guy has been answering alot of questions concerining his post on XDA developers about multiple builds.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSkull View Post
    Who knew this? I think everyone assumed it. Personally I'm thankful to the OP for posting this because I tend to expect the worst.

I can imagine this JBQ guy has been answering alot of questions concerining his post on XDA developers about multiple builds.
    Anyone that's actually paid attention to what being a Nexus device means. Verizon issuing updates has never been a possibility.