GPS lock

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine takes a second or two. Do you leave you GPS on all the time, or do you disable it when you're not using it? If you're turning it off, try turning it on, then reboot the phone and after it really gets booted up, see if it's quicker. If so, just leave it on all the time. I never turn mine off and I don't think it's going to effect your battery as long as you're not leaving a GPS related app running (like Poynt, Places, GroupOn, etc...).

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Except for one time, mine has always locked within a second or two. The one time it didn't, the notification icon was flashing and the notification was saying something like it was searching for a gps signal. After a minute or so, I rebooted the phone and then it locked almost immediately.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I will try these suggestions. My gps takes about 2-3 minutes to lock so something seems wrong. I do think i will have battery drain if i leave it on.

molinap1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
i was having major problems with my gps. IF it locked on, it would be after about 90 seconds. I downloaded a couple of gps apps and cleared agps data and other recommendations with no luck. Someone else recommended a wipe. I did that and now am locked on before the map finishes loading. It was my last resort, but am much happier now.

thunderstruck

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe root the phone and install a different ROM. I run Gummy Nex and get a lock in seconds. The program GPS Status can be used to clear the GPS data, which needs to be done every few days-it loads some kind of info that tells the phone where to look for satellites. I just rebooted my phone, and had a GPS lock in no more than 20 seconds.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
This is the first phone I've ever had where the GPS locked so quickly. Never had to reboot for it to work like with other phones either. In fact, I had no data signal a couple days ago, and the GPS still locked and tracked, however I could not use the NAV. I was still very impressed!

Like mentioned above, I leave it on all the time and it doesn't seem to have a noticeable impact on the battery. I think it actually goes into a low power mode when not used.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I will try these suggestions. My gps takes about 2-3 minutes to lock so something seems wrong. I do think i will have battery drain if i leave it on.

Yesterday, my gps was responsible for draining .04% of my battery. That's with it never being turned off, and throughout the day I might have checked GroupOn (which launches gps) once. What I'm saying is that leaving gps on all the time is not going to effect your battery to any noticeable degree, but it should give you a much faster pgs lock when needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa