Any suggestions?

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
On my 4th Nexus from VZW in 3 weeks. Each has one issue or another but all have had issues with signal strength. All have been CLNR and all have been been on baseband .09. Only had this one since Thursday.. and while in a strong 4G area I am getting sick and tired of deferring to my wife's Thunderbolt for data and occasionally calls.. if VZW replaces this one; they'll switch me to another phone(already been offered the Rezound, RAZR MAXX, or Droid 4).. I am loving ICS and the Nexus but how can I get 4 phones manufactured one day after the other (November 20, 21, 22, and 23 2011) and all have the same signal issue?

I don't want to go to another model but I don't want to play "Nexus roulette" with these CLNRs as they won't send a new one to verify the CLNRs are not being handled properly.

UGH :mad:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You probably wont like this suggestion, but you could switch to 3g only until an upgrade holds a better connection or Verizon makes some improvements in its LTE network. My GN is blazing fast on 3g and of coarse my battery always last all day. If that's not going to work for you, I guess you could take them up on the switch phone deal, though I couldn't go back to all that bloatware now that I've gotten used to it being gone.

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the data issues isn't restricted to only 4G... I really don't want to go back to a bloated phone either..
I may not have a choice of a different model.. I should not have to grab the wife's phone for data or even a call to begin with.. and believe she says something every time I do on "how's the nexus working out for you" "that's a new model" etc... lol
I may lean towards the MAXX as I don't want the D4 and really don't need the gimmicky beats audio on the rezound.. so depressing :(

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
After having the G Nex, Rezound and RAZR..

I had to grab my RAZR a few times this weekend when I was out n about cuz my Rezound was having connection issues. So I feel you on having to grab another phone for data and calls...

It absolutely sucks to have a 4G phone or new 4G phone right now. Its a total crap shoot for one working the way you want. I heard the T Bolt took six updates for it to get decent? Bionic owners are saying that with the latest update its FINALLY a decent phone...lol. Maybe when these current phones get 6 updates under their belt all will be right with the world...lol.

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
true.. but at that point I have to ask myself why am I paying for a data plan if I can occasionally use it.. lol
Wish the simple answer would be for VZW to send a new fresh phone manufactured after November 2011..

BAH!! Just lost signal again.. no data.. not even a 1X.. this is so harsh for a phone like this..

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
have you tried the latest 4.0.4 radios? they are quite a bit better than the stock radios. I am in a medium signal strength 4G area all the time. i have 4g Constantly when i am outside of my work. in there, 4g was always very poor even on my thunderbolt. with these new radios, i am on 4g 90% of the time. and every once in a while it will swap to 3g. but i have never been able to NOT make a phone call...no matter where i am.

i have said it before, and i will say it again (even after someone in this thread said it already) the Thunderbolt was a TERRIBLE "data" device when i first got it. 6 updates later (maybe 3 official ones) and it was finally great.

once 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 drops on us officially i have a feeling most of these "my reception sucks" threads will vanish.

in short, Unlock and root, and try out the 4.0.4 radios. even if you dont ever plan on doing it, it would be nice to "see whats coming" so you dont bail for one of the other phones.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
have you tried the latest 4.0.4 radios? they are quite a bit better than the stock radios. I am in a medium signal strength 4G area all the time. i have 4g Constantly when i am outside of my work. in there, 4g was always very poor even on my thunderbolt. with these new radios, i am on 4g 90% of the time. and every once in a while it will swap to 3g. but i have never been able to NOT make a phone call...no matter where i am.

i have said it before, and i will say it again (even after someone in this thread said it already) the Thunderbolt was a TERRIBLE "data" device when i first got it. 6 updates later (maybe 3 official ones) and it was finally great.

once 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 drops on us officially i have a feeling most of these "my reception sucks" threads will vanish.

in short, Unlock and root, and try out the 4.0.4 radios. even if you dont ever plan on doing it, it would be nice to "see whats coming" so you dont bail for one of the other phones.

This. 4.0.4 makes these issues a lot easier to live with. I cant speak for the 4g side of things but 3g and wifi i dont ever have a problem with. It sucks something hard that an OTA hasnt been pushed for this phone yet, after almost 2 and a half months of people complaining about data issues, but those that have flashed the 4.0.4 update (including myself) all say things are a lot better with it, so I'm confident that when the actual OTA is released most of these issues will be gone. The worst part is waiting it out.

But like was said earlier, if you like the phone and cant wait for the OTA, find the instructions for flashing the 4.0.4 update, read through them thoroughly, and just do it. flashing and customizing is what this phone was made for, and even if the only flashing you ever do is for the early updates if you are even the least bit tech savvy do yourself a favor and flash the update.

xratede

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I too have been having issues with my Gnex. My issues are with the 4g connectivity and dropped calls but my 3g works flawlessly. Sucks to have a 4g phone and I'm not able to take advantage of the speeds. I love this phone so I'm gonna wait for an official OTA and see if that solves my problem. I have my bionic on standby in case of an 4g emergency lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
No stand by phone for me as my old phones were passed along to family members who had really outdated phones.. lol

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You probably wont like this suggestion, but you could switch to 3g only until an upgrade holds a better connection or Verizon makes some improvements in its LTE network. My GN is blazing fast on 3g and of coarse my battery always last all day. If that's not going to work for you, I guess you could take them up on the switch phone deal, though I couldn't go back to all that bloatware now that I've gotten used to it being gone.

You are absolutely right I don't have 4 g in my area but I have been in 4 g areas. 3g is really fast where I'm at and the battery last all day on 4.0.4. I am always reluctant to send in my new phone for a refurbished one. IMO. The signal problems will get solved. And I feel sorry for the people who gave back their gnex for another device. I believe patience is key with this device. By May this year the problems with this phone will probably not exist. :)

Sent using axne1's
Beastly Galaxy Nexus Prime!