99% Battery Charge

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My extended battery doesn't seem to charge to 100% ever since I did a swap to the regular battery about a month ago. And it doesn't seem to be holding a charge for as long.

3287209f-5a6f-9b3d.jpg

(Here's a screen shot taken while my phone was on the charger from this morning).

It just doesn't go to 100% unless I do a hard reset, and sometimes that even doesn't work. Do I need a new battery or what???

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Swype Beta on Tapatalk!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is a safety put in place, on some rare occasions you will hit 100% but its made to usually cut off somewhere between 95%-99%. Its designed to stop overcharging. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that charges that high... Most users report cut offs of 95 or 96.

There is nothing wrong with your battery either, from my experience you normally drop fast from 100% to mid to low 90's fast then it levels off.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
This is a safety put in place, on some rare occasions you will hit 100% but its made to usually cut off somewhere between 95%-99%. Its designed to stop overcharging. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that charges that high... Most users report cut offs of 95 or 96.

There is nothing wrong with your battery either, from my experience you normally drop fast from 100% to mid to low 90's fast then it levels off.

I call BS. My battery goes to 100% almost every full charge. If phone goes only to 99% unplug and then plug back in for a few minutes and will most likely top off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I call BS. My battery goes to 100% almost every full charge. If phone goes only to 99% unplug and then plug back in for a few minutes and will most likely top off.

I've done that. Nothing happens just stays at 99. The stock battery goes to 100% every time. And while it's discharging it doesn't really level off. Just keeps going downhill. When I first got the battery it would charge to 100%. I have a feeling it had something to do with the swap I made. From extended to stock and back to extended.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Unplug for a few seconds, and plug it back in to top it off.

It doesn't top off when I do that. I usually have to do a battery pull then plug back in to top off. Too much of a hassle for me. I'd rather just get a new battery and go back to how things used to be.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not an accurate value regardless of whether is says 100% or 99%. Batteries are not like a bucket or a gas tank where you can physically measure the level of the liquid inside. The battery level is determined by an algorithm that is really more of a guess than a physical reading.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is a fix. Reboot into recovery. Go to advanced, wipe battery stats, then reboot. Charge your phone. It WILL go to 100%. Do this after each ROM flash. You're welcome.

Reactions: ki11ak3nn

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Here is a fix. Reboot into recovery. Go to advanced, wipe battery stats, then reboot. Charge your phone. It WILL go to 100%. Do this after each ROM flash. You're welcome.

Yeah, but it won't charge it any more than it did before. It will just tell you that it's at 100%. All you are doing is wiping out the historical data that the algorithm uses to make it's guess. But without the historical data, it declares "I shall now refer to this guess as 100%" even if before it would have called the same value 99%.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I didn't find out about wiping battery stats until a few weeks after I've been running AOKP. I did it once I found that out. Plus I used a battery calibration app which I don't think did a thing. From now on after every ROM flash I'm doing a battery stats wipe. Also I think I'm gonna go back to Franco's kernel. GLaDOS doesn't seem to be working very well for me.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but it won't charge it any more than it did before. It will just tell you that it's at 100%. All you are doing is wiping out the historical data that the algorithm uses to make it's guess. But without the historical data, it declares "I shall now refer to this guess as 100%" even if before it would have called the same value 99%.
Correct. That's what he's looking for.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Really I just want to know the health of my battery. Is it really charging up to 100% (or 99%)? Or is it only charging up to 75%, but showing that it's 100% (or 99%)?? A 1% difference isn't much of a problem for me, I just want the battery to last as long as it did when I first got it.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Really I just want to know the health of my battery. Is it really charging up to 100% (or 99%)? Or is it only charging up to 75%, but showing that it's 100% (or 99%)?? A 1% difference isn't much of a problem for me, I just want the battery to last as long as it did when I first got it.
It won't because you're running a custom ROM. It may be better, though.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually, Paul was right. This was put into place so people wouldn't overcharge their phones. It's really as simple as that.

Then my phone must be special as it goes to 100% each nightly full charge. I don't see how you can overcharge the phone.....

fussnfeathers

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Then my phone must be special as it goes to 100% each nightly full charge. I don't see how you can overcharge the phone.....

If you overcharge the battery, unpleasant things like small fire3s can happen. Chargers and batteries are meant to go to a trickle charge to prevent this from happening. And the other guys were correct, it's more of the phone guessing at what it should be. The car analogy is good, you may see you have a quarter tank when you start up, but if you're on a slight grade, you'll see your gauge drop quickly, then level off. Same idea, the car is giving its best guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699